1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a step by step of what it takes. If you have a concealed carry, OR have had military/police service, OR have an FFL, OR compete in matches, OR over 60 years old, it's a breeze (see link for other options if you are not one of the previously mentioned).

Pick out your Garand or Springfield ($395-$1400):

List of Garands http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

List of Springfields http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1903.htm

1. Online CMP purchase form filled out, including credit card info, signed by you, and notarized:CMP Purchase Form: http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

2. Photocopy of passport, birth certificate, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

3. Photocopy of concealed handgun license card (or proof of firearms competency). See webpage for other options if you don't have CHL. http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

4. Proof of membership in CMP affiliated organization. Join at Garandcollector.Org online for $25 if you're not already a member of a CMP affiliate range. (Garandcollector.org will notify CMP in about 3 days of receiving your membership app and payment). http://www.garandcollector.org/gcawebapp.pdf

I mailed my GarandCollector membership app and CMP stuff on the same day. I included a copy of my garandcollector membership application and a copy of the $25 check w/ my CMP forms.

Check here to find a list of affiliated ranges/clubs by state (not required w/ Garand Collector membership). If you're already a member of a CMP affiliate, just include a copy of your membership card with your CMP order. http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi

They ship it directly to your house. No FFL (gun dealer) required.

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT MEETING THE REQUIREMENTS, CHECK THE CMP ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS WEBPAGE: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/eligibility_requirements.htm

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Absolutely the best place to buy a Garand. . .

Just wanted to add my two cents in support of purchasing your Garand from CMP. I have picked up several from them over the years and have never been "burned". Once I made out like a bandit on a "service grade" IHC that really should have been sold as "collector grade". If you want a rifle to shoot there is no better place to get it. The only exception is if you are an advanced collector looking to fill a particular gap in your collection. Then it's the GCA, the auctions, dealers, estate sales and a LOT of legwork.

In my opinion, if you want a great - and fun - investment, pick up as many working Garands as you can find. CMP just raised the annual purchase limit to a dozen. Clean them up, tune them up, dope out a sight card and put them in the back of your safe. For as long as I have been alive there has been a steady demand for Garands, and I suspect there always will be.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
. . .and shoot "em!

Just had to add that Wideners has Korean GI surplus .30-06 on Garand clips in bandoliers for a great price. (I'm sure my UPS guy wishes Wideners would go out of business.)

It makes super blasting ammo. Just remember that the primers are corrosive, so field strip THOROUGHLY, clean with a water based cleaner like Simple Green, and relube with Breakfree CLP or similar at the end of every day's shooting!

Bang, bang. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, ping! Gotta' love it. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice Devil Dog.

One other point: When you buy a CMP Garand, it comes with a certificate from the CMP. This certificate proves that your Garand is the real deal and not some Bubba-Built Garand. The certificate makes your Garand much more desirable and certainly more valuable, as their is no question to the authenticity of your rifle. Given that the majority of Garands being sold today are Bubba-Built, the certificate is very important for the short and long-term investment value of your Garand.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xdevildog said:
Just had to add that Wideners has Korean GI surplus .30-06 on Garand clips in bandoliers for a great price. (I'm sure my UPS guy wishes Wideners would go out of business.)

It makes super blasting ammo. Just remember that the primers are corrosive, so field strip THOROUGHLY, clean with a water based cleaner like Simple Green, and relube with Breakfree CLP or similar at the end of every day's shooting!

Bang, bang. bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, ping! Gotta' love it. :D

The Greek CMP ammo is non-corrosive and excellent quality. I'm sure it's more money than the Korean (haven't checked prices lately). It's comes in Garand clips as well. Here's 8 rounds at 100 yards with my HRA Collector Grade and the Greek CMP ammo. The flyer was my fault.

Link to CMP Greek Ammo Webpage ($168 for 768 rounds -enblocs- in 4 sealed cans)

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=407-CASE&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=&note1=&note2=&note3=&note4=&note5=&max=

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kim and I were there North Store in May on our way home from Virginia, we picked up two very nice M1's and three cases of ammo. Would have picked up more ammo but we hit AIM first and had over a dozen cases of various ammo so room was getting tight. We managed to get a couple of M1 Carbines in Virginia also.

The bottom rifle was my A10 birthday present from my wife.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been wanting to get a CMP Garand for awhile. Thanks for the info you posted the major problem I have had was the CMP affilliated club requirment. The only question I have is it says that a club officer has to sign your application to buy, how do you do that with Garandcollectors.org?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
CMP rifle and/or ammo purchase application

I just looked at the application form again and I can't find any reference to needing a signature from a club officer. All they want is a copy of your membership card.

I'm an ex-Marine (yeah, I know, there's no such thing as an "ex-Marine"), CCW holder, NRA certified instructor and RSO, and local LE, so I qualify a dozen different ways - but I've been purchasing from CMP for many years and never heard of a club officer signature requirement.

Here's the link for the application with all the requirements spelled out. Maybe you have a very old one or some bad info from another source.

http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf

Hope this helps you get that rifle. :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
BZRKR21 said:
The only question I have is it says that a club officer has to sign your application to buy, how do you do that with Garandcollectors.org?

you don't, you must be looking at some other form, club purchase maybe? or firing requirement form

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BZRKR21 said:
I have been wanting to get a CMP Garand for awhile. Thanks for the info you posted the major problem I have had was the CMP affilliated club requirment. The only question I have is it says that a club officer has to sign your application to buy, how do you do that with Garandcollectors.org?

As Slow-fire said, all that is required w/ Garand Collectors is you send in your $25 and the application. Once Garand Collectors receives your application, they'll contact the CMP within 2 days and notify the CMP that you're a member (assuming you check the box on your Garand Collectors application that you want the CMP notified). If you're already a member of Garand Collectors, all you have to do is make a copy of your Garand Collectors membership card and send it in with your purchase form to the CMP.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
To get a CMP Garand I was once told that you had to actually qualify shooting 30 cal or larger with an NRA instructor or something. Sounds like that's not true.

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Hey I heard

Hey I heard that too Lobo... I'm definetely going to do this... Can never have enough garands... bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang-ping. Seems like everyone that shoots one gets the garand bug. What a great rifle sure glad its was the first High power I ever shot...

Thanks for the info 57strat I have three or four people that have wanted garands through the CMP but were afraid they wouldn't qualify...:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's correct... the cmp accepts several options to meet the criteria for the marksmanship qualification. I am fortunate to live close to the new CMP South store and hand-picked up my first garand about 2 weeks ago. I used my C&R license to meet the marksmanship qualification.

Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

• Current or past military service.
  • Current or past law enforcement service
  • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
  • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
  • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
  • Concealed Carry License.
  • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
  • FFL or C&R license.
  • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
  • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity.
  • No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Thx Tag, that clears it up. I bought my first M1 17 years ago and she still looks and shoots good. I had a National Match barrel installed right after I got it. I'd like to have about 10 more.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I was at the new CMP South store in Anniston, AL today. The requirements have indeed changed from what they were a few years ago.

For proof of marksmanship, my concealed carry permit was sufficient (I assume proof of competing in a sanctioned match is also still acceptable).

I was able to fill out the paper work to join the Grand Collectors Assoc. there and pay $25 to satisfy the membership in affiliated organization requirment (although their list of affliated clubs is now very extensive so many folks likely already belong to something).

And, if I'd had my passport, birth certificate or other proof of US citizenship with me I could have carried my purchases with me. However, I didn't think about that in advance, will have to send in that info, and they will ship directly to me.

Also had to fill out a purchase form on which by signing you certify all the same stuff that's on the 4473 you'd complete at any FFL. They also did background check and I assume that's done for all subsequent purchases as well.

I had put off joining the CMP for a long time just because of the requirements but it really is much easier now. I was also very impressed with the store. Counting guns/rack and numbers of racks - there had to be about 500 Garands of various grades to pick through. Also probably about 150 receivers and 50 or so complete barreled actions w/o stocks. Other guns were about 200 1903s, 100 or so .22 target rifles, and 25-30 brand new Kimber .22 target rifles. Greek and Lake City surplus 30-06 ammo and an extensive collection of books, other literature, tools, t-shirts, etc, etc was also available.

The folks working there were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. If you're within range of Anniston - its definately worth the trip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts