1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 10 different doors in 3 rooms that won't stay closed. Some are cabinets mounted to wall, some are cabinets on floor. I will try to get pic up of hinge. But it is pretty standard. Tried to find replacements at Lowes and HD. No luck finding exact ones. Thoughts……..I have tried adjusting all over the place, doesnt look good, doors are then crooked or what not. Some still won't stay closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Return spring is probably pooched. Should be a make and model stamped on them somewhere. If those are cheapie cabinets then it will probably be easier to replace all the hinges with new hinges of the same style than to try find exact replacements. Also note on those style hinges some are "free floaters" and some are "self closing" so when buying new make sure you get what you are looking for.

You will most likely have to take one of the hinges off and look an the back side of the deep stamped area for makers info.

And one more tidbit. Do yourself a favor and buy a good american or german manufactured replacement hinge.

Steve

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Similar problem a few months ago, big box stores did not have matching hinges. Went to an old time hardware store, you know the kind, with creaky wooden floors, stuff every where, a true step back in time. They had the matching hinges, in and out of there in about five minutes.

To say they had every thing was an understatement. Hanging on the back wall were mule collars and snow sleds. The collars I could all but explain being in Mississippi but the snow sleds are still a puzzle. :)

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Brad they appear to be standard 33mm Euro hinges and can be found at a number of places like Van ***** restoration hardware and a few companies that sell to the kitchen cabinet industry. there should be some videos on You tube on how to properly adjust them but if the springs are shot that won't help. IIRC you can buy these in halves so you should be able to get just the halves with the springs in them if you can figure out what make they are. Russ

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brad! Empty out all your $$$ you have stuffed in them & put it in your bank & they'll close! Merry Christmas! Brian! P.S. sorry couldn't resist!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts