1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am new to the forum and haven't had my M1919 very long. I am trying to learn all I can. It's in a semi auto configuration.

I know changing the caliber is possible. Currently it's setup for 7.62 at the moment. I'd like to have the stuff on hand to change it to 30-06 if I wanted. Is it a real PIA to do? What to I need to pick up if I do decide to go that route? Is it even worth doing?

Here she is:

I have a German AA tripod and a Maxim cart. That's subject to change in the future though.
Thanks in advance for any help and or info.

Larry in South Bend Indiana

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Welcome...

Good...another Hoosier...LOL. Welcome to our addiction...eeerrr...HOBBY. If you are close to South Bend,might drop by my shop...Len's Ammo Shop at 2402 S. Michigan St.,as I have the parts for caliber changes. With just the appropriate barrels and the 30/06 booster,you can fire 30/06,8MM,7MM,.308,7.65 Arg. with your current set-up. Also the 7.62x54R Russian with the parts modified by barrelexchange (Troy). You are entering another dimintion...welcome....LOL.....

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Leave that gun alone and get a dedicated 30-06 or 8mm gun. It's really the only way to be safe. Or one of each. And a 7.62x54R conversion gun. Then you are really safe. J

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good...another Hoosier...LOL. Welcome to our addiction...eeerrr...HOBBY. If you are close to South Bend,might drop by my shop...Len's Ammo Shop at 2402 S. Michigan St.,as I have the parts for caliber changes. With just the appropriate barrels and the 30/06 booster,you can fire 30/06,8MM,7MM,.308,7.65 Arg. with your current set-up. Also the 7.62x54R Russian with the parts modified by barrelexchange (Troy). You are entering another dimintion...welcome....LOL.....
Hi Len I've been to your shop several times. I love the door mat. :D I'll swing by and talk to you about it. Maybe yet today. If not, then within the next few days for sure.

Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
The top cover is a little different in the 7.62mm and I believe it is only the feed pawl that is different. However I believe some have said that makes no difference in function. The bolt in the 7.62mm will have a slightly wider "T" slot. Some say this will cause the 30-06 round to droop a little causing feed problems. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in here.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The top cover is a little different in the 7.62mm and I believe it is only the feed pawl that is different. However I believe some have said that makes no difference in function. The bolt in the 7.62mm will have a slightly wider "T" slot. Some say this will cause the 30-06 round to droop a little causing feed problems. Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in here.
My mutt uses an Izzy modified top cover and a 7.62 marked bolt for .30 caliber (.30'06) never had a problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To go from 7.62 to 30-06 you'll need the following parts:
1) 30-06 barrel
2) 30-06 booster

That's it, you will need to remove the 7.62 guides and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the info 30calmachinegunner. I think I have chatted with you on the INGO forum?

Welcome aboard.
Thank you sir! I am glad I found this place. I have learnd a lot in the little time I have been here. what an awesome forum!

Also an 06 barrel lock spring. J.R.
Thanks for the tip.

Leave that gun alone and get a dedicated 30-06 or 8mm gun. It's really the only way to be safe. Or one of each. And a 7.62x54R conversion gun. Then you are really safe. J
Not an option at the moment , :D Ones enough for right lol. That may change later on though. :D and I am very capable of doing the caliber conversion. Some info about me: I am not a noob to guns and working on them. I am just new to this particular one. I am a fast learner and a safety freak. I am not afraid to ask for help. I won't get over my head without asking questions. That's what brought me here.

I am sure I will have more questions.. I have done quite a few 80% builds of other guns. I will probably build one of these eventually. I can weld and machine. I have a lathe and a mill at home and access to any equipment I don't have. I am very mechanically inclined.

My mutt uses an Izzy modified top cover and a 7.62 marked bolt for .30 caliber (.30'06) never had a problem.
Thanks for the clarification guys! Much appreciated.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I had a great visit with Len this afternoon. I found out we have some friends in common. And I learned a lot about the gun, it's history and what I can and can't do with it. He is going to look threw his stuff and hook me up with what I need. Something tells me I'll be frequenting his shop a lot more. It's been a few years since I've been in there. And Len, I but the word out on those castings we talked about this afternoon. I hope to have a lead or two shortly. I'll let you know as soon as I do. Thanks for everything today. I'll be back soon!

Thanks for being so welcoming everyone. I am hoping to become a long term contributing member of the group. I'll post more info as the project progresses. You guys are awesome!

Thanks again
Larry in South Bend

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
You might wish to visit m1919tech.com in your spare time this is a communal effort of many forum members adding to the base of knowledge/history which I need to get my fat ass back on track and finish some of the categories.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might wish to visit m1919tech.com in your spare time this is a communal effort of many forum members adding to the base of knowledge/history which I need to get my fat ass back on track and finish some of the categories.
That was the first 1919 site I found when searching for info. You guys have done an excellent job of putting all that info in one place. I really enjoy going over all the history and info. Awesome site!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome to the board and the, uh, hobby. :cashwallet: You'll find lots of friendly, knowledgeable, sharing folks on this board, and one or two ol reprobates! Before you do anything else with this piece, view the following warning: http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?47...-rod-spring-accident&highlight=WARNING-TO-ALL These thing will try to kill ya, even when truly unloaded.

Carry On!
Gary
><>
The guy that I got it from actually sent me a link to that thread before I took it apart. It's a real eye opener. I am very cautious and very careful.

Everyone that even thinks about taking one of these apart needs to see that video!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We stopped by L999here's place yesterday. I picked up a 30-06 barrel. He's searching for the rest of the parts. Thank's Len for finding the parts and hooking me up with the reloading stuff. And for giving the gun a good looking over for me.

I've got 2k links that came with the gun. I have some 308 belted up and ready to go. It looks like they are a mix's of M5 and Israeli links. I should be GTG on links for both calibers once I get them sorted. That's a good project for my son.

I still haven't had a chance to fire this thing yet. I have some 308 belted up and ready to go. I was hoping to make range trip today but I had another fun project come in to the shop today that kept me busy this afternoon. Maybe Monday or Tuesday. I'll post me results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just realized the last post was #13. :eek: Can't have that. :smash:

Have a blessed Easter everyone. Travel safely if you are out and about.

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
That was the first 1919 site I found when searching for info. You guys have done an excellent job of putting all that info in one place. I really enjoy going over all the history and info. Awesome site!
Welcome to the board Larry you will find many here ready to help and teach you what you need to know about these old war horses. Hands down the best belt fed forum on the web :cool: Have fun and stay safe and get that baby to the range!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just did the 30-06 conversion on mine. Lot of fun with the 30-06. The easiest is just a 30-06 barrel, booster and lock spring like others have said. The gun will shoot just fine. Izzy links will work fine for the 30-06. I ordered a blaster barrel from sarco but other than some surface rust that cleaned up it had excellent rifling so maybe I got lucky. For ease/ fast conversion get an extra barrel extension just for the 30-06. If you are a purist, the top cover feed pawl is very slightly different between 7.62 and 30-06 and the short round stop for 30-06 is supposed to help keep the longer 30-06 rounds from jumping around too much during feeding but is not much of an issue with the semi-autos.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info. I just need the booster and the barrel lock spring an I should be GTG for 30-06. I have several 30-06 guns and a fair bit of ammo an I reload it too. so it makes sense to be able to run that round. A extra barrel extension would make a easy swap even easier! Humm....

it looks like Wednesday will be the earliest I'll get to the range with it. I am eager to shoot it! I'll post back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts