1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a dummy 1919a4 from Sarco about 10 years ago, and am wondering if there are manufacturers out there that would be able to start from that and get it to a live firing semiauto condition. I know this would be a bit of a chore, as the barrel is welded at the breech, and much of the internals are gone, plus the thick right side plate... is it something that could be done?? Is is cost effective vs. say $2k for a nice new one?
Any opinion is appreicated, Brian

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
from what you've said

and w/o seeing the gun, i would say it would be easier to build one from a kit than to take this apart and build one. the right side plate on that gun would be a paper weight

·
Registered
169 Posts
glockhead said:
and w/o seeing the gun, i would say it would be easier to build one from a kit than to take this apart and build one. the right side plate on that gun would be a paper weight
not only easier but possibly cheaper. by the time you buy all the parts you're missing piece by piece it may be more cost effective to just buy a parts kit.
just a thought...HTH
mcj600

·
Registered
169 Posts
my bad privatebrian, sometimes I don't read:eek:
to answer your question, yes, the Sarco dummy can be converted. Heck, I changed a screw-build back to rivets. was it worth it? well...
mcj600

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
It wouldn't be worth it. You can build your own for $900 and not have to demil a dummy gun. Plus, you can bet they don't use their best parts for a dummy...it won't matter if the barrel shroud is bent or no disks in the backplate or barrel is shot out, etc.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Brian

Do not even think about changing your Sarco Dummy over to a semi! I used to build dummy 1919's for Sarco and know what went into it. Plus, Sarco is NOT in the habit of using good servicable parts on a dummy when they don't have to.

If you need money, sell the dummy. It has value to some folks. Heck....it might even be worth more than you paid for it. Then you'd have some capital to get into a semi with.

JMHO

amish-bob
(Rob S in PA)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys

all good comments, thanks. I'll ditch the thought.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Pvt: You've made a smart decision

Yes, good idea. Of course, one could do it -- I can make a real 1919 out of a single rivet! Of course, I would need "some additional parts" and a bit of labor, but I could "do it!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts