1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acquired an unissued NOS 1968 Italian MG-42/59 parts kit. Looking to get 1000 links. I believe its a M13 link but different vendors show different pics, one with holes in them and one without. Prefer to not hassle with a return so I thought I'd ask here first. Also does anyone have a source for barrels. Lastly, if I decide not to tackle it myself and farm it out, recommendation's on builders. Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
The germans made an improved link that was called DM6 that you can get, but my understanding was if it will run links, it will run either M13 or DM6 equally. I think the DM6 was to go with the MG3, but either one was a NATO pattern link and would work in any gun designed for the NATO spec linked ammo.

ETA- from the RTG Parts page, it says DM6 was developed in the 90s. 7.62x51mm was adopted by NATO in 54, so the M13 link was probably about that same timeframe since the M60 came about in the late 50's early 60's. So Id say M13 link.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The MG3 series was intended to use the DM6 link which was an updated version of the Gurt 34/42. The mods were to make it compatible with the new 7.62X51 cartridge. The belt was also used with a variety of earlier versions of the guns. The M13 link was something they adapted the later MG3 to use by adding the block to the feed tray. It wasn't used with earlier versions except in an experimental sort of way. The DM6 belt was developed from an earlier version but I don't think they gave it a designation. It would have been used with the versions run with the 7.62 vs the 8mm guns.

The early MG1A1 would no doubt have used the standard Gurt 34/42 possibly with mods to fit the 308 more readily. We ran 308 in WWII MG42 belts back in the dark ages because there were no surplus 308 belts coming in at that time. What we found was that some belts worked just fine while others were troublesome.

I have no actual information showing what belts the italians used but you might consider looking into Folke Myrvangs MG42 books. He did a lot of research and learned a lot of things none of the others seemed to know....he is still alive and kicking in Norway and frequently answers emails. I don't have his address but I'm sure somone here does....he is a better source for info than a lot of internet junkies on the boards...

Good luck

Frank

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
@Kirby said Folke Myrvangs will be at the upcoming national gunday show in Louisville with him. Maybe he can weigh in, or you can talk directly if you'll be there.
Exchange messages with Folke on a daily basis. He and I will be setup together next weekend in Louisville. He also regularly participates on this MG34/MG42 Facebook page - MG34/MG42 Study Group | Facebook

1 - 5 of 5 Posts