1919 A4 Forums banner

Can anyone explain this Left Side Plate?

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  fastmonkey87 
#1 ·
#6 ·
My best guess, plate was modified for right hand feed like the pic in m1919tech in early M37 experiments but first it was a M1917 with stirrup reinforcement. Rollin and I saw many oddball one of a kind experimental weapons at RIA including one with bolts marked Right and Left.

Some how the casing got sent to the Izzys and the modified it including the extra hole and used it

#7 ·
I was thinking exactly along the lines that Charlie mentions above. The significant thing about fastmonkey's plate is that the slot looks to show that a charging handle was mounted at the lower rear corner of the bolt, like on a .50 cal. I don't think we saw anything like that at RIA. But even so, that doesn't prove it didn't exist. I would only say that I think the possibilities has to include a private modification, as well.

Here are examples of the odd prototype stuff we saw at RIA. Third pic is a Remington, WWI gun, so that matches what we see on the plate for sale. Pictures are mine, but all thanks go to the Rock Island Arsenal Museum and our fine hostess, Gatekeeper!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.