1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I saw a M1918Mk1 for sale. It's a H.D.&S. and looks really good. But the guy wants $3000.00 for it. I know that they are very rare but is that the going rate today or is that an eBay price? If you guys could help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Jerry

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
That is a lot of money. I don't collect particular knives but have a few WWII and WWI pieces. I buy if I like and can afford. Only. Never really have considered resale as a factor. Sure it's fun to get a good score but dang, that is a bunch of scratch! Look forward to an informed opinion. J

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Got any pictures?

Do you know the guy selling it?

My biggest concern about anything anymore is the number and near perfect quality of fake/repro stuff floating around.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pics from the guy:

Knife Hunting knife Blade Bowie knife Dagger

I don't know the guy at all.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More:

Hunting knife Knife Dagger Bowie knife Blade Knife Dagger Blade Hunting knife Scabbard

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay two points 1 I know the maker is very rare. Still it seems pretty high.
2 I don't buy for resale I'm not a dealer. This would be for my collection if I was sure this is a going price.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Man that's tough. If this was the last bit of a lifelong obsession then no problem. I know you are wrestling with it. Never have seen one by that maker.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Spending $3k on one knife like that seems alot, but as said before all depends on what the buyers wants. Usually if I'm starting a collection I go less expense first then more selective and more $$$ later on. But, if you realllyyyyy want it, then I'd go for it. Some things might not come to sale again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
An item like this has "sex appeal" to even the Joe Sixpacks who aren't serious knife collectors.

If it's not worth $3000 now, it will be in a few years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would be hesitant. The patina on the handle doesn't match the blade. When I was a kid in the 60's someone was reproducing those with 1918 dates on the handle.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys I'm not buying the knife I'll stick with my L.F.&C. If anyone wants it I can put up the information.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I would pass, too much for even a rare manufacturer. If I really wanted one I would look for an L&F and save the difference for another blade for the collection.
Buy from reputable people and you won't get screwed.
CaptMax

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks CaptMax I already have a L.F.&C. just wanted to add to that branch of the collection. But not at about three times what L.F.&Cs are going for.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks KevinT I have that page bookmarked. The handle and the S, on the knife for sale is more like this original pictured here. I have done my homework. I just can't bring myself to drop that much cash on something I haven't seen in person. Besides that's way to much of a hit to the budget money I don't have to begin with.

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/amewm_23.htm

·
Registered
287 Posts
It looks like an original to me as the font is dead on. As for the price I could not even hazard a guess. But I would not pay $3k for one myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts