1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 652 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Here's where I show my ignorance. What is the "bottle brush" looking thing with two loops and four "brushes" above the engine block - oil cooler?

Also, I assume the oil filler tube cap is in the bottom left corner of the first pix? If so, what is the empty circular bracket attached to it used for?

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
Nice to see you are making progress on your project - I love it when a plan comes together and everything goes smoothly. Can't wait to see the after pics! ;)

BTW - hope all went well [as can be expected] with the funeral. I'm sure you are on an emotional roller coaster right now.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Here's where I show my ignorance. What is the "bottle brush" looking thing with two loops and four "brushes" above the engine block - oil cooler?

Also, I assume the oil filler tube cap is in the bottom left corner of the first pix? If so, what is the empty circular bracket attached to it used for?
That is correct, it is an oil cooler. The empty bracket is for holding the oil can with spout. I still need to locate one of those. The "screened & filtered" platinum spark plugs arrived today from Malaysia, the batteries came from Interstate.
I also found the correct engine color is an exact match for Duplicolor "Detroit Diesel Alpine Green", picked up six cans of that today as well.
Yes brassmagnet, I have been like that for the last couple weeks due to my brothers funeral (age 51), mother in laws heart attack, my son moving out to college, a sister in law who recently passed away (age 53),and a slew of other things that have been going on as well.
This project will be my therapy for when I just want to "get away" for awhile. It has been quite a chore just trying to source parts for a vehicle that is 55 years old. What I would like to find is one of the "Hull Shockers" that were installed when these were in Northern Ireland, would be nice to have when someone comes up and tries to climb aboard or lean on it. :firedevil: I did locate some extras today from a friend, here are some pictures of that stuff.
CaptMax

·
BeltFed GURU
4,220 Posts
Capt.Max,
That is Easy a sprayer ring a few gallons of water and a trailing ground wire , they even touch the hull and they will light up like a Xmas tree :eek2: especially if you use a 100 mile "Weed Burner" fence charger :firedevil: !

Muw HA HA HA HA HA hahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Being a 24 volt system I would need an inverter first.
Here is what the original "hull shocker" looked like.
Then again there is that liability issue to deal with. :rolleyes:
CaptMax
Hull Shocker..jpg

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Don't drive it unless there is a thunderstorm in the area. Anybody bitches about being lit up blame it on lightning. ;)

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Looking good!

Looking good! You will be arriving at the Creek in style. Of course there is all the mud or dust......

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Took the rear of the hull off to gain access to the radiator which looks good, will pressure test and clean it up if all is well.
Several small parts pictured that are waiting to be bead blasted and repainted.
CaptMax
rear.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg photo.jpg

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
11,978 Posts
CaptMax, this looks like such a fun project. I love to see the before and and after pics of the components as work progresses. I keep thinking about a project like this, but I don't know that I would really make the time to do the dirty work. But a already restored vehicle at a reasonable price is more likely for me. This thread serves as great inspiration, however!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
"Thank-you" for the kind words Lucky#13, I would have never thought I would have been an inspiration to you.
It has always been the other way around. :eek:
CaptMax

·
Registered
81 Posts
Captmax

It ls looking great! Sorry to hear about all your personal losses. I like how you named it!

Keep up the good work!

Almost ready to start the parts kit I got for you.

When I grow up I want an amrmored vehical like yours :D
Best wishes

blademan

·
Registered
438 Posts
CaptMax,

Looks like you're making excellent progress, can't wait to hear about the details in a few weeks.......and you better have lots of pics!!!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
A few more accessories found, "Thank God for good friends". First aid box is complete, even have an AFV crewman helmet to go with the coveralls.
Turret weighs about a half ton, will be restoring the Browning mount next with pictures to follow.
CaptMax

21 - 40 of 652 Posts