1919 A4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 655 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Nice score Captmax it looks like the project is moving along very nice. I am looking at a ferret this weekend and will let you know if I find any odds n' ends for yours :cool:

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Nice score Captmax it looks like the project is moving along very nice. I am looking at a ferret this weekend and will let you know if I find any odds n' ends for yours :cool:
"Thank-you Russ", Hopefully I can bring it to the creek once it is finished. I would be glad to take you for a ride or let you fire the 30 cal out of the turret if I do. If not, your always welcome to come to Michigan where we could take it for a spin and have a great time regardless. Hope the wedding plans are going well for your daughter, I will be thinking of your family while I am at the creek. Take some pictures of the ferret you go look at, I like seeing the other ones that are out there. Mine should be just about finished by spring and ready for paint, it will definitely be ready for next years October show.
I hope to pull the power pack this winter for detailing after getting the mechanical issues addressed, mostly general maintenance. I have located several other items needed for the interior such as canteens, thermos, ignition cylinder with keys, and miscellaneous items like webbing straps. More pictures to come soon.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
The below is from our marital advice column.

CaptMax said:
.... I have yet to tell my wife we now own an armored fighting vehicle. I'll let you guys know if I am still married after I tell her. I just want to be sure it is "presentable" to her when I break the news.
CaptMax
That is entirely too funny - can't wait to tell The Don (formally known as the grad school squeeze). "See, it not just me." We went over 25 years in July. Come to think of it, your in it for about the same amount my buddy unknowingly shelled out for his step-daughter's Miata.

BTW, you'd be amazed how many rivets I mail to non-gun business addresses rather than home addresses. Then again, I think I hid my first 1919a4 kit for over 6 months before The Don saw it. MSG
I told The Don, now she wants one. I told her it would be a hoot to drive a Ferret in the parades that are common in small town America. Once I showed her it's small enough to drive on the street, and park in a standard parking place, she wants it to drive to work!

Picture the central lawn of a small, Southern liberal arts college - white columned, red brick buildings set amongst the 100 year old hardwoods. On the Eastern edge of the lawn, next to the old, county courthouse, is a small parking lot overhung with pin oaks. An AFV rumbles across Hancock Street, through the old downtown, and then bounds over the sidewalk and up the short ramp into the lot. After nosing into an empty place in the shade of the ancient oaks, a turret hatch slowly motors open with a hum. A chestnut haired woman in a tweed jacket, leather portfolio in hand, climbs from the hatch and lowers herself to the pavement. She nonchauntly presses the button on a key fob, causing the turret hatch to slowly motor closed. As it latches, the lights flash and the horn softly sounds. She then turns and deliberately strides across the finely manicured grounds to the Business College. All liberal arts professors and college administrators in the vicinity, "those people on the other side of the fountain" (that's what the business college faculty call the arts and crafts faculty), simultaneously go into convulsions. You gotta have fun with this stuff. MSG

·
BeltFed GURU
4,242 Posts
MSG ,
I Like it :rofl::rofl::rofl:all that is missing is the crackle ,hum of a hull energizer and the slight scent of ozone :tongue:
The Don gets hold of it and you will Never get to drive it :jedicrying::jedicrying::jedicrying: think i am kidding :tongue: ......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any idea how hard or easy it is to road register a Ferret. It looks like it has most of the "characteristics" of a road vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Any idea how hard or easy it is to road register a Ferret. It looks like it has most of the "characteristics" of a road vehicle.
Pretty simple really they are road legal so just go down to the DMV and get some plates

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
No windshield needed, but yes the Ferret has a removable one that even has a wiper blade.
A lot of it depends on what "police state" you live in, I doubt Washington DC would like you to have a turreted armored car rolling down Pennsylvanian Ave. :rofl:
Would also depend on how you have it registered as in either an armored scout car or a Daimler 4 door Utility Vehicle. Both are correct.
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
A few more small parts restored. I will be pulling the power pack soon and commence with the detailing, when I do I will post more pictures. The Browning is ready to be installed as soon as I have the mount restored. Been busy with work and with the holidays coming I haven't had much time to work on this except for the small stuff. The periscopes are also done but I didn't take any pictures of them yet, will do that in my next post.
CaptMax

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dang CaptMax!! That thing is gonna be SAWEEEET! Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!

I keep forgetting to check my semi Sterling to see who the maker was.....I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Looking good :thumbup: keep the pictures coming. can't wait to see it finished it is going to be nice.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Enjoyed meeting you at Knob Creek this year and talking with you. It's great to be able to see this thread about your Ferret Project.

Thanks for the photo sharing.

Later 42rocker

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Nice! Any chance of a pic of the insides of one of the smoke pods? Never seen how they load and trigger.
Here is what they looked like before I began working on them. And here is the schematic drawing, they are fired electronically with the push of a button located near the driver.
Unfortunately these will be inoperable as I don't believe they can reactivated legally. :(
CaptMax

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Enjoyed meeting you at Knob Creek this year and talking with you. It's great to be able to see this thread about your Ferret Project.

Thanks for the photo sharing.

Later 42rocker
Same here 42rocker. I will be down in the Tampa area in a few weeks. It would be fun to get together with you and wildman for drinks and a social visit.
I also plan on heading to the Everglades for a couple days to fish the backwaters up the Barron river in a place called "Hell's Half Acre". Would be nice to have some company while I do, I could show you around the area.
CaptMax

·
BeltFed GURU
4,242 Posts
Capt.Max ,
because of the wire holes you can legally make them Air Launchers /ejectors for confetti /candy at parades :D !!
wire the pin on a smoke can to the ejector and you can launch them too all with Air pressure getting around the DD issue Muw HA HA HA HA hahahahahahaha :D!!

41 - 60 of 655 Posts