1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last couple of weeks I've been busting my back trying to get everything ready for a local car show, it's a little more involve with this type of set up then pulling a street rod out of the garage, it didn't help that this was the wettest June on record, I didn't get everything done on the 57MM AT gun but it looked good and people were impressed, the half-track just needed some detail work, and constant cleaning, it's incredible how much dirt shows on OD paint, then there was all the accessories, but it's all worth it to see a little kid smile when you tell them to go ahead and climb in so their parents can take some picture,I probably had 100 kids in the half-track through the day, it was funny how many parents told their kids to be careful and not touch anything, and the look of utter surprise when I tell them they can touch anything! The weather started out nicely, then about 1:00 it started to drizzle, I covered the 1919's with shelter halves and thought I would wait it out, but it got worse, it down poured for about 10 minutes,I had water flowing through the site, the only thing that got any damage was the sand bags I had filled with wood pellets,I'll set them out in the sun today and see if they dry out, next time I'll put the pellets in plastic bags. And it wasn't just the kids that had touch stuff,I had a lot of older guys that had served in the service who hadn't touch a Garand in 50 years, it was priceless to see them fondle it, one guy said he was a sniper and shot the 03-A3,so I pulled it out of the half-track for him,talk about a reunion. I don't think I stopped talking for the entire time we were there, which to me means I did a good job!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Hats off to you 47! It is great for folks, especially the young ones, to see displays like this. To me it teaches them a little history, a little respect, and most of all not to panic if you see a military vehicle. Too many tree huggers these days. :lol:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Hats off to you 47! It is great for folks, especially the young ones, to see displays like this. To me it teaches them a little history, a little respect, and most of all not to panic if you see a military vehicle. Too many tree huggers these days. :lol:
The last half of your post brought this to mind;

Very wise tactical placement of the display so close to the head. That way, if any of 'those people' $hit themselves they don't have far to go. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Awesome display!!!!!!!!!!!:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Oh how I want a half track, I have since I was a kid!! I swear if I had one I'd take it everywhere I could think of. Just way too cool. KevinT

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
car show

I was a little leery about setting up so close to the porta potty but the wind blew in the right direction all day and I never smelled a thing. Our little town is pretty good about common sense, we have our share of liberals but they are so out numbered they don't say much, which is why I'm able to get away with this display on school grounds, I've taken it to our high school several times for history lessons.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice to see another MV owner let people touch and climb on stuff.
Too many in the MV crowd won't let anyone touch stuff. Same with the hot rod crowd so I'm not just bagging on one and not the other.
I always get the stink eye from most of the other guys when I let the kids climb all over my HMMWV. I will admit once you let the first ones in there is no stopping them.
But I do admit I appreciate the ones that ask first and show some respect. I've had my share of parents that think that their little ones have every right to just hop in because after all there tax money gives them the right too.
Then they find out it's a privately owned vehicle and most apologize and are amazed anyone can own one.
Nice looking display.
Keep up the good work.
GW

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kids

That's what I kept telling the parents, kids can't really enjoy a car show because you can't touch anything! I've seen car owners go off on adults that lightly touched their car, I can understand not letting kids touch a really polished piece of work but there is no reason to be ignorant about it, but on the other hand so many kids today have no control at all, even I had to make a couple kids back off just a little, they found out about the pull cord on the cannon and figured if you pulled it hard enough it would go off,I finally asked him what he was doing and he said "it's not working"! It's amazing how fast they figure out the cocking handle on a 1919, I pulled the trigger groups and released the springs, that always brought a smile to their faces, parents would tell them to stop smiling,act serious,I told the parents I have the same look on my face while playing with them!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I let any kid up on my tractor if they want to get a picture. That's why you take a tractor to a car show! KevinT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts