1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I recently converted my MKII Bren to .308 and had a Wolf Steel cased cartridge go BOOM (pulled trigger with round in the chamber and I heard a boom and smoke everywhere) Rear of the cartridge was ripped off leaving a small ring of steel damn near impact welded in the end of the barrel sticking out just a bit from the back. Tried the broken case extractor and alum. rods down the barrel with no luck. Very stuck! Anyone have any useful tips or advice to get it out?

Thanks in advance.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,303 Posts
Try a brush on the rod it some times works or you are left with Cerrosafe 158* low temp alloy the safest way ,paper plug ahead of the case ,cast in and drive it all out . The last thing i would suggest is a tap (not sure what size ) ,this is dangerous because you can cut into the chamber so it is the last resort method .
Cerrosafe is reusable but there are some caveats to using it nothing major but as it cools it shrinks for the first 30 minutes then then expands during the next 30 minutes to return to the exact original size. It then continues expanding at a known rate for 200 hours . So you have about 1-1 1/2 hours to drive it and the case out . If it goes too far no biggie a light touch with a propane torch or boiling water will melt it out . The Cadmium in it means just don`t lick your fingers handling it but it never fumes at such low temps so it is safe as long as you wash your hands before licking them LOL .
Yes it is an investment about $20 but it will save you some real grief over time !! And you can check any chamber for actual dimensions with it !!

·
Registered
113 Posts
In cases of that type we have frequently used a fine thread tap. Find a tap size that is snug in the case and screw it in a few turns. Take your solid cleaning rod and tap it out from the muzzle end and it will take the case with it. Sometimes a bit of penetrating oil run from the muzzle end will help break things free.

Frank

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In cases of that type we have frequently used a fine thread tap. Find a tap size that is snug in the case and screw it in a few turns. Take your solid cleaning rod and tap it out from the muzzle end and it will take the case with it. Sometimes a bit of penetrating oil run from the muzzle end will help break things free.

Frank
Yep! soaked it overnight in Kroil and then tapped it with a tap and used THAT to hammer it out! Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts