1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I recently acquired an M2HB and the charging handle is on the left (I believe it came off a quad mount) and I'd like to change it to the right side.
It seems fairly straight forward but since all the fasteners are wired I'm concerned that there's specific torque requirements that need to be met.
Would someone point me at the procedure please?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tighten until the holes for the safety wire line back up properly and the nuts are snugged up, its very straight forward in the grand scheme of things don't worry.

You do not need silly amounts of torque on them.

To do it right and make it look good you really need some safety wire pliers though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tighten until the holes for the safety wire line back up properly and the nuts are snugged up, its very straight forward in the grand scheme of things don't worry.

You do not need silly amounts of torque on them.

To do it right and make it look good you really need some safety wire pliers though.
Makes sense, thank you!

·
Registered
208 Posts
1) Use safety wire of .041 dia. (This per conversation with Jack Bruce who is pretty much a M2HB technical guru and has built A LOT of these guns.) I get US made safety wire from McMaster Carr. Google how to twist safety wire. There are several tutorials. I suggest learning away from the gun a couple of times to get it down. Just remember that the safety wire should be applied in a manner that it tends to pull to tighten the subject fastener.

2) Remember that there is a RH and a separate LH RSG slide lever spring. I'm pretty sure SARCO has the ones you would need. (Check w/MG Dave.) Per TM 9-2021, "The right hand spring can be distinguished from the LH spring by laying both on a bench with the projection that fits into the lever pointing up and the small loop toward the operator. The RH spring has the opening in the small loop facing right, whereas the opening in the small loop on the LH spring will be facing left." (p. 191)

3) You may want to move the cover latch handle (on the top cover) to the opposite side to avoid interference with the RSG handle operation.

4) Short screws go to the rear of the RSG bracket and long screw to front lower hole.

5) Finally, to make sure the "foot" bolts are tight you might tap on them with a brass hammer (I said tap . . . not pound) after you tighten them the first time. Remember that one "foot" points forward and one rearward, on accordance with the taper of the side plate holes. Not too tight but also not loose. (How's that for "exactness." The TMs don't list torque specs.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info but will I need a RHS slide lever spring or can the left hand one be used?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The RSG Spring is the only thing you need when swapping feed sides. One is for the left feed, a different one for the right feed. All else is a 3D puzzle built in :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts