1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bmg17A1 knows his chows for sure. I knew the privi didnt work but the old ww2 stuf bbn i have works well. Thought it was a lack of pressure thing, thanks for your imput.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
When I fixed this problem with the rounds not loading... I ran into a problem with them failing to eject and just falling loose inside the receiver and jamming it! I swapped out bolts with no luck. Finally I got around to trying the extractor from the third bolt I have and that seemed to do the trick. The Chauchat ran yesterday for the first time. Its not perfect yet but its working!!!

So I am very happy with it. However I still have more work. I can see that there are some issues still. The rounds are barely making it out of the chamber. I think my ejector is strong enough. However I feel like the extractor is not doing a good job holding the round while the barrel is moving back forward. The brass is wanting to just drop off the bolt face rather then hold tight until its ejected. The magazines need a bit of work but that should not be super hard. I have one or two that are good. The others just need some work. The one thing that is an issues I think is the chamber. It headspaces but thats on the rim. It looks like the neck is cut much further back and is swelling the case at the neck. I am not sure what to do about that. It came close to ripping two cases in half and I think it will kill my reloading potential.

With all that said, its a crazy gun to shoot. Like riding a roller coaster. The movement is serious and its hard to stay on target. About what you would expect and makes the MG08/15 look stable. It also beats you pretty good too. I am enjoying it so far but you better be ready for wild ride.

P.S. I have no idea why Ian at forgotten weapons can't get 20 rounds in these mags... it seems perfectly fine getting 20 in there to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
The neck swelling may be the difference between Balle D ammo and Balle N ammo. Is your barrel marked with an N? Mine is not and Balle D ammo from WWII will not chamber.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
The neck swelling may be the difference between Balle D ammo and Balle N ammo. Is your barrel marked with an N? Mine is not and Balle D ammo from WWII will not chamber.
Hmm, interesting!!! The gun and AL radiator is marked "N". However the gun was in Finnish service and I noticed that the "N" mark on the receiver almost looks like its had 3 lines marked through it like it been marked out. That would make some sense, I will have to research more on that.

Well... I found this:
Maybe they are just that bad...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Prvi partisan ammo is Balle D ammo Specs, it fits in my barrel, but WWII dated ammo does not because it is Balle D. The book says Balle N ammo has a thicker neck. I have a ammo box full of 1938 dated ammo, both red primers and black, none of them will chamber in my barrel.
Check out YouTube for videos from Mark Novak and C&Rsenal on Chauchat’, lots of good trouble shooting tips from Mark Novak.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts