1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is off topic (and in open talk), but i figured maybe someone here may have an answer.

I am looking to extend a 220V circuit from my house to my garage <100ft away (need to get the arc welder up and running to build post-samples) and have been told i need 10ga 3 conductor wire to do this. However the local HD wants $170!!

Anyone know where to get <100ft of 10ga 3 conductor wire for less?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
259 Posts
Copper is really high now. Check around with some local electricians, they may have some left over from a job. If you are looking at SO/SJ cord (looks like a big extension cord) it will not be cheap. Don't scrimp on good wiring, especially when you are talking about putting high amp loads on it. I always go heavier than needed on long runs to help keep the wire cooler. Nice to have some cushion there-- to keep from smoking the welder,the shop,or you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try MSC, Grainger, McMaster-Carr. MSC will let you order online without a lot of hassle. How are you planning on get the cable to the garage? Is this going to be a perm install or more of a extension cord arrangement?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Are you sure ever 10 ga will handle the load. I suggest that you check with a pro about this. Plus, be sure you measure carefully as you will need some extra on each end to get out of and into your electrical boxes at each end. Also, are you running underground or overhead?

You have to have this inspected and approved by some official at the local or state level or you could lose your insurance coverage. No doubt you are required to purchase a permit before makeing such an addition. This is not really a job for the amateur, I would suggest that it will be cheaper in the long run to hire this out.

BOL, John McP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't you need 4 wires? Even though 220 is commonly referred to as single phase, it is actually two phases, and a neutral, and ground.
Also, some welders require the ground connection to the plug to function properly. So the trick of tying the neutral and ground together should not be used in this case.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
I don't think you have a neutral on a welder...ground only...at least that's how I wired my old Lincoln.

·
Legendary Donor
2,485 Posts
I ran service line to my barn/shop myself, put a dual feed box up where the power came into the house and ran the same type sevice line to the barn so I have 200 amp service out there. Best part is I only have one electric bill and its at a reduced rate due to being geothermal and energy efficient

·
BeltFed GURU
4,344 Posts
at 100+ feet and driving a welder i would be using No 6 THHN stranded wire and EMT PVC plastic conduit that way you have a safety factor built in and less of a voltage drop over solid wire ,the circuit would be good for 50 amps max

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hire a licensed electrician.

There's just no getting around the cost of copper, at this point in time.
Contractors around here cleared out all the Home Depots around, just before they too got wind of the price jump.
I picked up a half dozen rolls of 12/2 MC on eBay a month ago. Bidding was high, but not like my suppliers. We're talking price jumps around here at 400%.
And the news gets worse.
No.10 isn't going to do it for you.
There are at least a half dozen things an electricain has to consider before sizing wire.
The first one that comes to mind in your case is voltage drop.
I just did the math for you, and a 30 amp load at 220, 100 feet long, is 7.5 volts. That doesn't take into account the other wire to which your splicing on to. It also depends on your feeder size. Where the wire is being installed. What the nameplate data is. I also think welders are considered continuous loads. That means you have to multiply the load by 125%. It just goes on and on.
You really need a licensed guy.
(Unless you like to gamble.)
BTW, where you at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
loboslanding said:
I don't think you have a neutral on a welder...ground only...at least that's how I wired my old Lincoln.
Ok, if you don't plan on running anything else other than that welder, then you only need 3 wires.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is how I would do the job and I'm assuming you are coming out of the load side of your meter can: First you need to run direct to a fusable disconnect box. If you run out of the meter can, you need to protect the wiring ASAP. For the run to the barn I would get #2 aluminum direct burial cable. The #2 would keep the voltage drop to a minimum (2%) for a 50-60 amp service and is much cheaper than copper. That cable is two conductors (hots) wrapped in an aluminum braid. Bury it 2 feet deep. When you terminate the cable, you strip the insulation back and twist the braided wire into another conductor, which is connected as your neutral. Always use a NoOx compound to prevent oxidation from dissimilar metals when using AL wire. Drive a ground rod outside where you would run to a service panel inside the barn. Connect the ground rod with #6 copper wire. A Square D with six breaker slots would run you $35 IIRC. You could then run other circuits for lights, compressor, etc. I would suspect you can do the whole job THE RIGHT WAY for less than the copper wire alone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Never hurts to ask

Go hang around some commercial construction. Malls, restraurants, etc. During my career in Custom Home Building for 36 years, I did at times do a little bit of light commercial work. When one business moves out of a mall location and another business moves in....say a computer store....they will most likely rewire the entire store to their specifications. Even with the price of scrap being what it is, many nice construction guys would let you have the "scrap" wire free for the taking....especially if there are any gun guys in the group. My carpenters have been given whole house fulls of new carpet, kitchen cabinets, bath fixtures, lighting fixtures, mirrors, doors, windows, outlets, switches, wire, etc. etc. You just have to ask, and promise to stay out of the way. There is plenty to go around. The dumpsters around here are still full of tons of good construction debris. I had one of my carpenters build his whole house out of "scrap" material collected in about 2 years. He built a really decent 1500 square foot home, on a very short shoestring budget. Another group of guys to drink coffee with is the "Rural Electric" guys. Or the "Power Company" construction crew. You'd be surprised at the "surplus wire that they have to get off the truck every now and then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In most areas you will be required to run 4 wires. (3 wire with a bond) two hot(red/black)nutral (white) ground(ground can ge one size smaller)
In the past I have found when doing this that you can run 100 amp alum. underground feeder for less money than #10 wire. All the wires come together on the roll so you purchase them all at once. Sometimes you can run three wires and install another ground rod at the new pannel-here you have to have 4 wire and the ground. Last one I did 200 amp subfeed was cheeper than 100amp. The panel box will cost a few dollars but you will only need two breakers to start a main and the 3o amp for the item. Run a short #10 wire to the item plug.
Underground wire needs to be at least 2 feet down in the ground
be safe and go larger - you always want to add something later and it is less money.Check with a mobile home supply. the wire they use for them will do the job. Sometimes home depot has the supply line
Good luck

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WOW! Here i was asking for a cheap source of wire and i get all this wonderful advice, this is why i hang around here.

Thanks guys! I guess my ex-electrician friend has lost his touch, he said it was a quick and easy 10/3 install that i could do myself.

I have taken all your advice and have started contacting local electricians (any of you in MA?).

Adam

1 - 16 of 16 Posts