1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Having dealt with CTD before, I would be verrrrry suspicious of this ammo. Even their so-called "first grade ammo" can be pretty crummy. Take the .303 they were selling a few months ago as an example. Some was good, but some was unshootable.

If they are telling us up front that this is "grade B ammo" I'd bet it's stuff CMP sold as unusable, to be pulled down for components. Anyone ordered and received any of this yet, if so how does it look? I don't want to pull down 10,000 rounds of loaded ammo for bullets only.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Got to look in 3 of the 500-round cases of .303 the other day. It's obviously recently been reboxed and/or sorted since each box of 50 has a 'B' written on it. It comes in the importers carton so probably straight from Greece, previously rejected by CMP there, who knows?

One case was nice clean '70s HXP. One case was dark brass but shootable '60's HXP. One case looked like it might contain extra parts of the Antikathera Mechanism as it was about 40% green-corroded and rusted crap (was obviously on stripper clips that got rusty long ago) and the rest of that case looked about like the pictures on the web site.. mostly crusty 'don't shoot this in a gun I care about a lot'.

Total crapshoot but the cases seemed to be consistent internally as to what was in them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has anyone bought any yet????:help:

·
Registered
847 Posts
has anyone bought any yet????:help:
Well the last time they had a bunch of HXP up for sale, I a bought 480 round can. It was a little tarnished, not really bad. But I don't know what they mean by GRADE B. It could be some ugly stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received my shipment yesterday and I am quite happy with it. The brass has some tarnish on it but it's better than the last shipment I received from the CMP. I'm going to buy more at that price.
Butcher

·
Registered
312 Posts
Butcher,
Which packaging did you order.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
787 Posts
Ctd

Got 2 in today doesnt look too bad. 3rd pic looks like there is a crack in the neck. I didnt notice it at first. Will go and look again once the rain stops, if it ever does. A lot of HXP 73 stamps. Not sure when I can get to the range

Wally
ctd.jpg ctd2.jpg ctd3.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
I ordered the grade B 3006 on links. Very usable and well priced.

I also ordered the 303. It looked like they intentionally put a handful of tarnished 303 rounds on top of really nice HXP rounds in each 45 round box. One case had a lot more tarnished rounds than the others (50%). All so far are HXP. Overall, pleased. I haven't looked at every single box (10 per shipping box for 303) so there may be a few bad rounds. Would recommend buying rounds on clips as they probably sorted the whole clip instead of by the round. Same goes for 3006 on links verses loose.

If you need to stock up, I would recommend buying some before it is gone.

I expect they will release some grade b 308 in the future I hope.

Update: one of the 303 cases had five boxes of dark tarnished rounds. I tumbled smooth. Some minor surface pitting. I think they will work fine. about a dozen had some more aggressive oxidation on one side. Took scotch brite pad to it and tumbled. I think only 4 or 5 are questionable. Will take some out to the range this week.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got a 450 box and out of every box I opened there was one crushed round and about 2 to 3 rounds that I would not shoot. This was not a bad deal.. Ordered another box of linked rounds.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just ordered 1920 rds $758 derived

emblocks and 1 of one on links sold out

I'm betting they will totally sold out pretty soon :thanks::bigun2:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ordered a 500 round box as soon as they listed it,

Out of the 500... I had 3 rounds I wont shoot due to some nasty rust on the bullet itself.

The rest.... I got probably 60-70 rounds that I wouldn't hesitate to shoot right away....

The rest, most are almost as nice as the GTG ammo with a spot or two of tarnish, some with small spots of powdery white corrosion. About 10% are smooth but very tarnished.... the cases have red tinge to them. All of it very dusty with pieces of rotten box toss in... no charge of course.

All of it is Greek HXP, dated 64, 69, 70 and 77.

I can hear the powder inside all but some of the 77 stuff, don't know they switched powders or those rounds are no good. There is no correlation between the "quiet" ones and exterior condition.

My plan is two pull down the 3 obvious bad ones, pull down a couple of the ones that I can't hear powder inside of, and tumble the rest and inspect.

Whether or not you love or loathe CTD, I think the stuff is worth the money.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
all SOLD OUT now

It's GONE all SOLD OUT now:jedicrying:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm surprised this ammo lasted as long as it did. I just received a 320 round box of linked. It has HXP 78 and 76. The 76 is pretty tarnished but only 5% of the box. The rest is very nice 78 that comes close t the grade A ammo I purchased on links earlier in the year.

Well worth the money!

They still have 303.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts