1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Title says it all. Got me a 1919 kit and bunch of IMI links that I need to fill. What cheap (or at least cheap in current times) ammo do you guys like? Can I use the steel cased Russian stuff? Got a crank coming to so what ever I get I'm sure its gonna go fast :cool:

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Cheap??
I'm sorry, but I was sorely tempted to start typing 'hahahahahaaaa', until my fingertips bled.

I don't believe there is any .308 in current circulation a 1919 wont eat, provided it's OAL is sufficient and that it is not soft point ammo.
Wolf, Brown bear and all the other bears and critters will do fine.:tongue:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheap??
I'm sorry, but I was sorely tempted to start typing 'hahahahahaaaa', until my fingertips bled.
Yeah I know,

I was trying to think of a way to ask about "less expensive" ammo without sounding delusional.

Oh for the days of cheap, sealed battle packs of 7.62 :jedicrying:

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Yeah I know,

I was trying to think of a way to ask about "less expensive" ammo without sounding delusional.

Oh for the days of cheap, sealed battle packs of 7.62 :jedicrying:
They still exist and you can get all the ammo you want free just join a branch of service and presto :D

·
Premium Member
6,060 Posts
Don't forget most wallymarts still have the ZQI for 9.99 a box of 20 and sometimes it is on sale for 20% off so not a bad deal in todays market.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
you can reload for 31 cents a round, if you have the brass, the equipment, and your time is free

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
7.62X54R is around $105 shipped for 440 rounds. See Troy at BarrelXchange about the conversion it pays for itself since you will be using a crankfire.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
AIM had a fair deal on Hirtenberger at about .50 per round but I see they're out of stock. They do have Wolf steel case:
WPA (WOLF) .308 Win 145grn FMJ 20rd box $8.95 (.45 per round)
SKU: AW308FMJ145

The problem with Wally World is that some of the stores still impose a 3 box limit on ZQI ammo. That doesn't last very long in an A4.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Agree with the reloading.
You can still find pulled 150 grain 308 projectiles for around 16 cents each, if you buy in bulk.
Primers are 3 cents each.
Surplus BLC-2 can be found for $140 for 8 pounds plus hazmat & shipping (buy 4 or 6 jugs and hazmat is often free), so that is about 11 cents worth of powder.
So that is 30 cents a round to load your own at today's prices.

I have many thousands of new Hornady 147 grain boat tails I bought about 8 years ago when they were 9 cents each, delivered.
Primers I bought by the 5000 piece carton for less than $100 per 5000.
Powder I bought when surplus BLC-2 was $64 per 8 pound jug.
So I'm reloading 308 for about 16 cents a round.

Buy cheap and stack deep :>))

Gregg

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Agree with the reloading.
You can still find pulled 150 grain 308 projectiles for around 16 cents each, if you buy in bulk.
Buy cheap and stack deep :>))

Gregg
Tell me where. did this from Pats for years. He's out

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys,

I know I'm long overdue to start reloading... I've had a RCBS Rock Chucker in the box for something like 10 years now... the problem is I just keep buying kits and expanding my list of calibers :rofl:

Not ready to use my 1919 as reloading guinea pig just yet.

I've got some real oddball calibers that need my attention first... until then I'll stock up on cheap-ish ammo, and force my friends to bring their own :D

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Cheap bullets? There were a couple of guys on the forum selling pulls for 9 cents each if I remember correctly, even a bit less in large quantities. I think I bought about 70,000 from these two gents plus a bunch of M62 from Pat's and Poly Gun Bag. I think even Jeff Bartlett had them. Alas, all gone today.

Cheap powder is another thing of the past. Pulldown WC844 and 846 started out at about $6 a pound and went skyward pretty recently.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cheap bullets? ... Alas, all gone today.

Cheap powder is another thing of the past. Pulldown WC844 and 846 started out at about $6 a pound and went skyward pretty recently.
Yep, before sandy hook, never went over 15 cents a round, often less. I had decent stock at that time and have not re-supplied until very recently. By shopping very carefully and buying large quantities for I'm at 31 cents a round for FMJ. 40 and more for hollow point, boat tail target, etc.

Still if the hilda beast gets in, this will look cheap. So, I'm buying enough for many years. What's the point of owning belt feds if you don't shoot them hard??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Im new to the 1919 full auto world, but the 7.62x54R conversion was a no brainer, 20cts. per round. You can't even reload for double that price. I'ver ran serveral spam cans of 54R through mine and I have no regrets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts