1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been pretty happy with CTD up till now. I have bought a lot of their Greek HXP ammo. I really like their 3006 and 303, however, I am extremely disappointed about there linked 308 "Greek HXP" ammo they sold about a month ago. I ordered a couple of boxes and thought nothing about it. I opened them up this week and decided to take some out to the range. These rounds are on links. I don't know what they are but they certainly are not marked HXP and are not reloadable.

The rounds I fired are berdan primed and not "reloadable HXP" 308. I bought them for reloading! They don't even cycle in my M1A! They jam up in the action and bolt will not open.

I contacted CTD and they told me I received Greek 308 ammo and their "expert" confirmed it. Ya right! If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck! Doesn't take much to ID HXP on a head stamp nor the type of primer. They offered to refund my shipping but will not take returns or discount the price.

I never would have bought the stuff if I couldn't reload it. They have LC 308 for only a few more cents.

If any of this junk come available on CTD, beware! They will likely try this again. You can bet I am not the only one who complained!

Did anyone else have this same experience and did you get any better response? Any ideas what these round are. If I get a chance I will post a picture of the head stamp.

Here is a link to this product:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-A18400L

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've not heard of Greek .308. I did get some 30-06, it was good stuff. The links were weird, so I unlinked it and set the links aside, but that is no biggie..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I avoid CTD regardless of what they are offering or the price. They screwed me over several years ago with some of their false advertising and it broke me of ever wanting to order from them again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I refuse to give them any business ever since their ridiculous price gouging during the ammo shortage. Other reputable places may have put quantity caps on purchases but didn't gouge like they did on prices.

Scott

·
Registered
51 Posts
Back in 2012- 2013 when the ammo/mag scare shortage was strong they raised there $10 pmags up $50, all ammo went thru the roof, screw'em. I've spent tons of money years ago with CTD, but not any more, Midway and many others kept there prices steady, but couldn't keep there stock, at least they weren't trying to screw there customers.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Their ad clearly states HXP, boxer primed, reloadable. If you didn't receive that, I would tell them either they accept a return or you will demand your credit card company initiate a chargeback. You DID use a CC to purchase this, right? Clearly what you are describing is not what they advertised.

CTD: You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Back a few months ago they had some Radway Green .303 and that stuff is berdan primed (as well as corrosive primed). What is the head stamp on your .303?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's comments. Great idea about telling them to do a refund of will contact the CC. Yes I did pay by CC. Attached is a sample of the rounds. Looks like the headstamp says "J.G" and "7.62". I think you will agree these are not marked "HXP". All the 308 is marked this way. Anyone know where these are from and if they are corrosive?

According to the following link, this is 1997 produced Chinese 7.62x51 ammo. WoW! Not Greek! Is it corrosive? Has anyone show this in a M1A.

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11177

My 303 head stamps are all HXP and dates range from mid 60's to early 70's. Don't recall exact dates at the moment and may be getting them confused with the 3006.

Thanks again

IMG_6772.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hate CTD. I remember the good old days when the truly were cheap and had a lot of god stuff for sale.

Today, they have bowed to the will of a lot of anti-gunners and won't ship any AR-15 parts to my state. They say it's illegal here, which is a bunch of BS.

The way I get back at CTD is to send them a copy of an invoice from some other online competitor showing how much I spent with them. I also attach a little note saying "If your company policy wasn't so f***ed up, I would spend my money with you".

F*** Cheaper Than Dirt.!!!!!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
CTD does have some good deals, but it's up to you to verify what you are buying. Always use a telephone and talk to a real person. If you order via Internet,you have no way of verifying.

Don't even bother contacting them about the CC chargeback... They'll get ahold of you very quickly. They CAN be buttholes about returning stuff.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
junking ASKS: ".... Is it corrosive? "

Do the "corrosion test." Pull the bullet, dump the powder, pound an unpainted (ie., cleaned down to bare metal) nail into your workbench. Place case over nail, set off primer and come back in a couple of days to see if the nail is corroded.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsmans guide....the catalog EVERY newbie turns too when they are just getting into this hobby. I remember ordering 'good condition' sleeping bags from SG...they were covered in mold, repair stitching and stains. Everything SG sells is 'genuine current issue to spec ops'. CTD has engaged in some of the worst price gouging in history and gave us NY'ers the royal screwing by refusing to ship any ammo to us.

Every time I look through their catalogs I chuckle, thinking some fool out there thinks hes getting a deal buying a 199 dollar 85% AR lower or 49 dollar AR magazines.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree with everybody about CTD's past price gouging but decided to give them another chance and ordered 4 cases of Grade B .303 ammo. I received 4 cases of Greek HXP head stamped brass with two cases manufactured in 69 and the other two in 73. Over all I'm real happy (less than $125/shipped per 480 case) and feel that even the few brass cases that are really tarnished that they'll fire just fine in an Enfield. I might order some more as I never bought any .303 back when it was cheaper and more available. YMMV

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
berdan

I had a friend order some .308 from them,listed as "reloadable boxer primed", it wasn't probably the same stuff as this, and they refused to do anything about it,I don't know how they can stay in business with this kind of service,seems like someone should be able to get them on fraud, we should have some kind of recourse.
I have been lucky ordering from both of these outfits, never had any problems that they didn't fix, but I've never had ammo problems.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a friend order some .308 from them,listed as "reloadable boxer primed", it wasn't probably the same stuff as this, and they refused to do anything about it,I don't know how they can stay in business with this kind of service,seems like someone should be able to get them on fraud, we should have some kind of recourse.
I have been lucky ordering from both of these outfits, never had any problems that they didn't fix, but I've never had ammo problems.
We do! My recourse is to tell everyone to RUN not walk AWAY from any dealings with them. They are DEAD to me after the last time they canceled my order for magazines (Out of Stock), then the next day sent me a "SPECIAL OVERSTOCK SALE" email for the same mags at 3X the price I had ordered them 4 days before.

I will never do business with them again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll throw in my .02 worth as well for CTD. They were the first ones to sell 1k rounds of .223 for over 1k dollars during the stupidity that went on. And for that I will never shop there again. There are so many better places to shop with excellent customer service. I will give credit to Midway U.S.A for excellent customer service,probably the best I have received,,ever! . I ordered a couple of AR-15 uppers as a college graduation present for my brother and one for me. Well,one of these 800.00 uppers wasn't in the shipment when it delivered and it showed as being sent on the packing slip. I was out of town and didn't call them until two weeks later after I returned home. (I had a family member sign for them,,so I know one wasn't stolen) Midway shipped out that missing upper the same day I called them. This order wasn't insured and they still covered the entire cost of the upper and shipping. I also received a hand written letter from Larry Potts thanking me for the business me and my company did with them that year. Midway is definitely serious about having happy customers and keeping them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts