1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Where can I check to see if a gun is reported stolen? Any help would be appreciated.
Depends on if it was reported, and who it was reported too. My first suggestion would be to contact local LEO and see if they have a history or report on the gun. Past that......???

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about contacting the local police about it but I am trying find out before I report it. A dealer was selling it for me but dose not have it now. So he says. I want to check to see if he reported before I do anything. This has been going on since last year and I have not been paid yet. Not a good place to be in.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If the dealer "lost" it, he has to file a stolen / Lost firearm report by federal law. copy goes to locale LEA. BATF takes this REALLY seriously - I know if at lest one local small dealer that got a real nasty letter for not filing within the required time ( 24 hrs from discovery I think) . I had one stole from a vehicle, and Had two different departments come take a report after I filed with BATF. Have not seen the gun again, but you never know...... BATF did follow up with me by phone.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Here in Oregon

Just call State Police....Trick is, The gun must be in your possession or they will Not give the info out.. If it pops up dirty ,they are on their way to confiscate it. Basicly ....someone is going to lose $$ in the deal if its on a stolen list.

By August it won't matter anymore as FTF deals are No more. All participants in gun sales will have to go through a Background check......somewhere in this F'ed up new law I'm sure they will check serial #'s as well. Lucky will know more about this disgusting new law.:mad::mad:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Duke I may just be heading down that road. To the best of my knowledge I am still registered owner of the gun. I just want to make sure it is reported as stolen. then turn it in to my insurance and let them deal with the dealer. This has gone on to long. just want to make sure my bases are covered before proceeding.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It has been my experience (in Cali) when dealing with the police with regard to stolen firearms that the less you expect the better off you will be. I have been told they won't check serial numbers on a "what if" basis. Perhaps you might have better luck.

The bottom line, I would give the dealer one last chance to produce the weapon and tell him if he can't, you will be reporting it stolen.

If he says he made a report, ask for a copy, or a the very least, the report number. If he has a report, review it and if it is wrong (he says he is the owner, for example) go to the agency that took the report and ask that it be amended.

If all he has is a number, you should be able to take that to the agency that took the report and request a copy. It will probably cost $10-20 for a copy. Get a copy and review it for accuracy.

If he doesn't have a report, make one. If you don't know the exact date it disappeared, use the date you discovered (were informed) it had vanished.

Best to do all this at the counter (face-to-face) and not over the phone.

Next, ask the dealer who his insurance company is because you plan to make a claim for your weapon that disappeared when it was in his care, custody, and control. He's liable for it. Even if any paperwork he gave you when you dropped it off says he's not liable, in most states he will be liable for the value of the weapon. Any claim will probably be under his deductible, but insurance is so hard for shops to get, and so expensive, in most cases he won't want any calls made to the insurance company. Even if they do not pay it, they will record it and it could cause problems for him when his insurance renews (or cause it not to be renewed...).

Good luck; I hope you get it back.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Thanks Duke I may just be heading down that road. To the best of my knowledge I am still registered owner of the gun. I just want to make sure it is reported as stolen. then turn it in to my insurance and let them deal with the dealer. This has gone on to long. just want to make sure my bases are covered before proceeding.
I hope you are not confusing a 4473 with registration, they are not the same.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Actually yes a 4473 is registration, if it were just a backround check the form would not be asking for all the information about the specific firearms on it. Some people think bound books and 4473's just get sent to a warehouse somewhere and are never looked at? Not the case. In his case he's probably referring to some foolishly redundant state registration system?
A 4473 as registration is not what most non FFLs think registration is. In the majority of states once a Title 1 firearm changes hands to a non FFL that so called 4473 registration comes to an end.

·
Registered
330 Posts
As an aside, a lot of people think FFLs have some way to check serial numbers to see if guns are stolen. Unless they are buds with some LE types, they don't (or maybe some state checks do. Mine doesn't)

I'd be in favor of having something like that except about 5 minutes later the check would be made mandatory.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,395 Posts
In my state there is a state level web site that you input serial number hit submit and it will tell you if it is stolen .
You need add no other info but serial number .
Of course it must have been reported stolen to local LEO first !

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...registered...?

Totally disagree with anyone who thinks that a #4473 is a 'registration' of a Title 1-firearm. The #4473 stays in the dealers possession..BY LAW. It is not sent anywhere,faxed,copied or looked at by anyone...except BATF or local LE and only if a criminal investigation is started. The only other time is once-a-year the BATF can do a "compliance-check' to determine if all the paper-work is in order and all firearms on the dealers bound book are physically present or accounted for. I did this for over 32 yrs and had to teach other FFL's the law and procedures,as most did not know enough to keep out of trouble. Pissed a lot of BATF agents off because they are used to intimidating FFL's who do not know the rules and regs. Kicked ATF agents out of my shop...twice...for being arragont and trying to push the envelope in violation of their own regs and procedures. Rant over...

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Would have to agree with Len - the 4473 is not a registration, it is a "disposition".. Tells where the gun went, and sets the stage for prosecution if you falsify the form. I still have all my 4473s, ( 25 + years worth), never had BATF copy or even look at them other than to see I was filling them out correctly. I have had a few traces from the govt. What is interesting is Based on the gun, and recent news, I know what department was requesting the trace and called them for more info on the issues. then there is the trace request I got a few months ago - when I looked the S&W revolver up, I found I still had it. So I called BATF back, and asked them if they wanted me to ship it to them ? I had a hard time convincing the agent that I was holding the gun, but they finally relented. Seems somebody screwed up the SN on their request. What is really interesting is how BATF got me in the trail anyway, since the gun came from a source that should have been a dead end. Somebody "rolled over" and gave BATF info....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You need to start the ball rolling NOW . Most states have a time limit from the time you find you've been wronged to when you can no longer sue / file claims .
Had a shipping company deliver to a shop behind me . When he left he cut too tight and caught my shade and ripped it half down . Thier insurance rep draged this out for 2 years . At two years and a day , they told me to go pound sand. The clock started the minute you found out it was stolen .
Chris

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
He dropped it a dealer, the dealer logged it in. Lets see the book. Kevin

Montana Field Offices

Contact Industry Operations for questions or information relating to:

Firearms (FFL) or Explosives (FEL) Licenses
Licensee Firearms Theft or Loss
Machineguns, Silencers or other NFA weapons
Firearms, Ammunition and other importation issues
Shipping of firearms
Proper sale/purchase/transfer of firearms, ammunition or explosives
Other firearms/explosives industry questions
Helena II Field Office (Industry Operations)

Area Supervisor
10 W. 15th Street, Suite 2400
Helena, Montana 59626
USA View Map (link is external)
Voice: (406) 441-3160 Fax: (406) 441-3161

Contact Criminal Enforcement for questions or information relating to:

Suspected illegal firearms possession/sales/purchase
Suspected criminal activity involving explosives, tobacco or arson
Any other law enforcement matter
Billings I Field Office

Resident Agent in Charge
2929 Third Avenue North, Room 528
Billings, Montana 59101
Voice: (406) 657-9700 Fax: (406) 657-9701

Helena I Field Office

Resident Agent in Charge
10 W. 15th Street, Suite 2400
Helena, Montana 59626
Voice: (406) 441-3140 Fax: (406) 441-3141

Missoula Satellite Office

200 East Broadway, Room 334
Missoula, Montana 59802
Voice: (406) 657-6886 Fax: (406) 657-6885

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Totally disagree with anyone who thinks that a #4473 is a 'registration' of a Title 1-firearm. The #4473 stays in the dealers possession..BY LAW. It is not sent anywhere,faxed,copied or looked at by anyone...except BATF or local LE and only if a criminal investigation is started. The only other time is once-a-year the BATF can do a "compliance-check' to determine if all the paper-work is in order and all firearms on the dealers bound book are physically present or accounted for. I did this for over 32 yrs and had to teach other FFL's the law and procedures,as most did not know enough to keep out of trouble. Pissed a lot of BATF agents off because they are used to intimidating FFL's who do not know the rules and regs. Kicked ATF agents out of my shop...twice...for being arragont and trying to push the envelope in violation of their own regs and procedures. Rant over...
100% correct. People would not believe the number of times I have had customers contact me wanting to change their "registration" (4473) over to someone they sold one of their guns to. That isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yes Len, and then like every other FFL you dropped your license and all these bound books and 4473's went where? Fact is most FFL's turn over rather quickly and all the info is sent out to the records center. Many larger volume FFL's frequently get new licenses so they don't have to maintain those forms at their location/s. Yes ATF also may inspect the forms annually they occasionally take notes of some of the forms and also ask questions directly about some purchasers. It's registration plain and simple, not with immediate results such as some state programs, but it's pretty easy to see a pattern of who's buying what over time. Many people falsely (knowingly or not) answer questions on the forms and while it may not affect you today, it's down the road when these things come a calling.
Are you Hispanic or latino? do you think some of these questions are on there by accident? Or because it's like a telemarketer survey? If it were just a backround check they would phone in your personal info and get an approval or disapproval based on the ID you presented effectively instantly from the NCIC, the questions on the form are for you to fill out redundantly (because they damn well know the answers to all the questions on the form already) and then sign attesting to them.

I frequently teach SOT's how to fill out forms, so yeah I know the drill pretty well. Been through audits, and much, much more. All good, all professional, but then again I never had any problems.

I cannot believe some of you are that naïve. Like guys with CCW permits that think that info is protected :rofl:

This is CORRECT! I have scene it first hand.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If it were just a backround check they would phone in your personal info and get an approval or disapproval based on the ID you presented effectively instantly from the NCIC, the questions on the form are for you to fill out redundantly (because they damn well know the answers to all the questions on the form already) and then sign attesting to them.
Hmmmmm, I never looked at it quite like that before....... interesting perspective, to say the least. I guess I should go polish up my tinfoil hat now.......Thanks, johnson LMG, you may have just sent me over the edge

1 - 20 of 23 Posts