1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quote Originally Posted by Rob1961

I have read many other posts on this site and on the M2HB.net site where members have commented on the great contribution Christos has made and that he's a genuinely nice person. That said, it's hard to ignore the bad experiences that some members in this thread have shared and the thought of spending $4K+ on product and not being able to communicate with the seller in a timely manner scares me! So, I'll pass and look elsewhere. Thanks for the information!

Let me start off by saying I usually do not get involved in other people's business but I felt the need to speak out on Christos's behave. I live near him and have been to his shop many times but I am still just a customer like everyone else so it is not like I am best friends with him so my trying to defend him should be seen as impartial. Having made several deals with him and going to his shop to pick up my M3HB kit I learned quite a bit about the man that most people do not ever see or hear.

First off he owns his own business that takes his attention more then full time to run so the 50 stuff is a side job for him.

Second he has MANY personal issues which anyone who knew about the issues would agree it was of major importance for him to address them which are far more pressing then the 50 stuff. He also has a huge warehouse over in Greece that he keeps all his 50 stuff in and the criminals over there keep trying to break in and steal his stuff plus he has family over there so he spends more time in the air per year traveling back and forth to Greece then most everyone else on here would spend in their entire lifetime. Again people need to realize that the 50 stuff is a passion for him and he really enjoys being able to help some many people reach their dreams of owning a M2HB or M3HB but once again it is his passion that keeps him going to make sure he can acquire and provide parts and kits to as many people as he can but his dedication to our Belt-Fed addiction on top of all the rest of what drives that man is just outstanding!

Now before people start thinking I am somehow biased, I will also admit that even being as close as I am that I can just drive over to his shop, I still have a lot of trouble reaching him as well. It is because of all the time I have spent with him that I learned just what he does on a daily basis and can only say that this man is truly dedicated to everything he gets involved in and there would need to be about 50 hours per day for him to be able to cover all the bases that he wishes to be able to do! I have not spoken with Christos about any of this and do not know if he is going to get offended or not for me saying all the stuff about his personal business but I just felt that someone who knows the man needed to speak out on his behave to defend him! He is a Kind, Loving, Hard Working and Over Booked person who gives his all and does not let people know just how much stuff he has on his plate at any one given time. I get frustrated about getting ahold of him like everyone else here but the difference is I know when I am not able to reach him it is for a very good reason and he will surface the moment he is able to. Please continue to support such an important source for the 50 stuff and learn to be PATIENT!

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Registered
113 Posts
There was no need to start a new thread! You could have added to the conversation in the original thread you quoted me from:

http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?52747-And-this-is-why-we-can-t-have-nice-things

However, since you decided to single me out, I'll respond.

First, go back and re-read the entire thread, but especially the post from DRH, which I have included below for your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by DRH
I understand what you are saying. I myself have purchased a M3HB kit from Christos more than a decade ago and he is a nice guy. I don't think it was the wait that was causing my uncle's grief. It was the lack of response and no communications. Usually when people don't have any info and their money is on the line, they start to assume and think the worst. As I said in the other thread about the builder, communication is key and must be maintained. Also if the parts are not readily in stock and ready to go out, that should be noted on the front end, not after payment has been sent. That is standard business practices for a company supplying products and it informs the buyer upfront that there will be a wait and to expect it. Most people would be good with that for such a specialized product.

In reference to my uncle's issue, he got a UPS tracking number for the spade grip yesterday about four hours after I posted and it looks like a happy ending.

Everyone thinks Christos is a nice guy, has great parts, and has benefited this community, but that wasn't the issue. The issue that more than one member conveyed was that his communication was lacking.

We all have busy lives, but if you're running a business, you need to communicate with your customers! I said nothing deragatory about Christos in my post and I see no reason for you to get so upset. You are entitled to your opinion, just like I'm entitled to mine!

Rob

·
11,832 Posts
From my experience with Christos / Gryphos, he had always warned of delayed response and shipping times. It's not even about him being super nice, which he is, he is the ultimate source for affordable 50 cal parts in the U.S.

THERE ARE LONG DELAYS. This is a known environmental attribute to the transaction

I do not hesitate to do business with him.

R

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Rob1961,

I am not upset. I simply felt that someone needed to defend Christos and that was all I was doing. The reason I singled you out was because you said you were going to pass on dealing with him and that is really a mistake unless you want it NOW! He tells people up front that he is very slow to ship so why people get mad and rant makes no sense to me? He has never screwed anyone that I have heard about.

Mike--Mustangman7

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When I was looking at a 50bmg kit, I looked long and hard at Christos, but... the slow response is a known issue. I got lucky and found a guy who had already put in the wait time and bought it that way.

All said and done, I probably saved myself $1-2 thousand. If I had it to do over again, I'd either go with TNW or just be patient and find a used one that someone is looking to get rid of. Unless you really want to build it yourself, it's a huge pain in the butt, takes forever, and every part seems to cost $200.

Then you can't find a place to shoot it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Christos

Having done business with chrisros, I feel I can and should weigh in here.... Yes, Christos is one hell of a nice guy. And the parts I received were darn near new. But, the problem I had was the promise of shipment, then nothing for months. I understand that he has a lot going on, $4600 is a lot of money to someone like me. And, personally, when you agree to deliver a product, and cash the check.... That's as good as signing a contract to me. That being said, I would defiantly do business with him again, but I would explore some sort of escrow type payment. Honestly, after the 4th or 5th promise to ship the next business day with nothing happening, I began to feel like I'd been duped. My problem with the whole situation was the fact that the funds had been received, and there was no sense of urgency to deliver the goods. Like I said, he has a lot going on, but it's hard to sit around waiting for any type of response when someone has a lot of your hard earned money, doesn't have time to shoot you an update email, but has time to post on Facebook. It took a little more than 10 months to get all the parts, and I paid upfront in full. His personal work load aside, that's excessive. Maybe I'm still a little butt hurt over the whole thing... Maybe I'm right. I can tell you that I built 2 other .50s for people in that time, and could have done more if I would have been able to get customers together with kits. But I had to be honest about my experience with christos as a source for kits, and those people just weren't willing to lay out that kind of money just to be in limbo on a delivery date. Again, I have spoken to christos on a few occasions, and he did apologize for the excessive delay... But that was at month 5, and it took another 5 to get box 2. I would feel differently about all this if I hadn't been told that he had kits boxed up and ready to ship. I don't wish to tarnish anyone's reputation, I'm just sharing my personal experience with other potential customers. In the end, you WILL get your kit. It WILL be excellent condition. But, you WILL experience a level of frustration that will test your patience. I hope I don't offend anyone or hurt any feelings with this post, it is merely an account of my transaction. Thanks, jon

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello Rob1961,

I am not upset. I simply felt that someone needed to defend Christos and that was all I was doing. The reason I singled you out was because you said you were going to pass on dealing with him and that is really a mistake unless you want it NOW! He tells people up front that he is very slow to ship so why people get mad and rant makes no sense to me? He has never screwed anyone that I have heard about.

Mike--Mustangman7
Hello Mike,

Again, your missing the point! Yes, he tells people up front that he is very slow. Yes, he has never screwed anyone. These are not the issues that several members have had with him. There is only one issue and it's his communication! Two more members now have weighed in, one that passed on dealing with him, like me and one that did deal with him, which led to 10 months of frustration because of bad communication.

Like ejc78 said, I'm not looking to tarnish Christo's reputation either, I am just reading the experiences from other members and taking part in the discussion. Isn't that what a community board does?

As for my decision to pass on dealing with him being a mistake, well that's my choice to make!

Rob

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Mike,

Again, your missing the point!

Rob
I am sorry but I think it is you who is missing my point. Based on the life Christos lives, the fact that he has ANY time at all to even deal with the 50 stuff shows that he cares and is doing the best he can. If he decided to just quit squeezing in what little time he is able to help others with the 50 stuff, where would we be? The more people who boycott him may end up pushing him to quit putting forth the effort to help since he is already WAY overbooked with his regular life and we will then lose a very valuable asset to the belt-fed community. I simply hope to educate people that we should embrace what we have and not condemn him for not being chatty. With so many of these suppliers once they are gone they are gone for good!

Mike--Mustangman7

PS: For people who do not wish to tarnish Christos reputation I sure am reading a lot of exactly that going on.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
OT, but I misread the thread title and it almost gave me a heart attack. I read it as "Christie is a HUGE supporter of our Belt-Fed Addiction" as in Chris Christie!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am sorry but I think it is you who is missing my point. Based on the life Christos lives, the fact that he has ANY time at all to even deal with the 50 stuff shows that he cares and is doing the best he can.

Mike--Mustangman7

PS: For people who do not wish to tarnish Christos reputation I sure am reading a lot of exactly that going on.
Mike,

No need to be sorry, your voicing your opinion, which is fine, but yes, you are missing the point! His life and what he has going on in it is no excuse for not communicating in a timely manner with his customers. You are making excuses for him because you are biased for whatever reason and that's fine. If you and others don't mind paying thousands of dollars up front and waiting months on end with little to no communication that's your choice. If others decide not to that's okay too. Isn't freedom of choice great?

As far as tarnishing his reputation, you contributed when you decided to start a whole new thread on an already existing topic that had already died out!

Rob

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm still directly square in the middle of my transaction with Christos. I like the guy, I really do and I appreciate he has a lot going on in his life and the the .50 stuff is a side project. Thus far I have had a really good experience with him, he has been straight up about the wait and issues he is currently dealing with. My only ***** and it is a relatively minor one is that he doesn't respond to me unless a) he feels like it or b) he has something new to tell me. A classic example is last week he shipped me box one, which is great. He also said that he would try to have box two packed up on Thursday. After that, nothing. Even a message saying 'Hey I got pre-occupied and I wont have your second box done until x date' would really go a long ways with me. I would still do business with him again as the parts I received have been very nice thus far and he never lied about the wait time I just wish he was a little more responsive.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Lets say the shoe was on the other foot . Would Christos like it if he sent parts and didn't get paid for them for 5 months .
Kept getting the checks in the mail , I'll have it out this Friday. And then nothing.
I would guess he would be a bit miffed. And I would guess you would too if your being honest.

So in all fairness Rob has a right to voice his opinion just as others do and have done.
Eventually people will get tired of his lack of communication and just not buy anything.
It won't end up being Robs fault or anyone that has complained it will be Christos's fault because he doesn't under stand the basic principles of communicating with your customers.

Mike you seem to know more about what's going on in his personnel life then anyone else.
And what ever it is it really shouldn't matter .
Bad communication is bad communication.
If you promise something by a certain date and that date comes and go's a phone call is in order period.

Just my opinion but the country was built on a mans word and a hand shake.
Sad too see too many people don't understand that anymore.

GW

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And nobody seems to understand the most basic thing I have said? I never disagreed with the lack of communication issue but the point I was trying to make was that he tells everyone up front that he is slow and it will be a while before he ships and yet that is what everyone is complaining about? From the messages I have received I think it is just time for me to close my pie hole and mind my own business. Just keep in mind that when the parts source dries up then there will be no more reason to complain about him being slow!:(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well he could always try sending the parts when he finds them first and then ask for payment .
But he takes the money first then sends the parts whenever.

Trust is a two way street.
And there isn't a whole lot of traffic in the extra mile nowadays.

GW

·
Registered
220 Posts
The more I dwell on this the more I am troubled being in the middle of my purchase, I just wish the guy would just send my parts. Some of the examples here have really given me pause. He's had a large sum of my money for a good bit and I have half of a kit and tentative ship date for the other half from last week without so much a peep since.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Keep in mind shipping is getting screwy now again with the holiday gimme fest. I had parts dropped off at Fedex by a seller on Saturday, listed as in their possession pending shipment with no delivery date. Finally this morning it posted an estimated delivery date, but still pending. Now how am I to keep my purchases secret from the missus if they show up without warning:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
Remaining Parts For Your Order with Christos

The more I dwell on this the more I am troubled being in the middle of my purchase, I just wish the guy would just send my parts. Some of the examples here have really given me pause. He's had a large sum of my money for a good bit and I have half of a kit and tentative ship date for the other half from last week without so much a peep since.
Sir,

What is owed you on this transaction? Send me a list please of what you are owed to [email protected]

B/r,

Ed @ CWA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts