1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title suggests I have about 3,500 rounds of the corrosive and hot Egyptian 9MM that was imported and found to be of dubious quality and value by many. Being that time is not critical I am tearing it down for the projectiles. Bullet weight varies slightly from 114-116 grains over 5.5 grains of some powder, and of course it is Berdan primed. Most bullets are lightly crimped in place, but occasionally some are tightly crimped. Has anyone else bothered with this project? Using a collet puller I can do 200-300 per hour, so it does go rather quickly. While tempting to use the brass there is no shortage of Boxer primed brass or primers at this time.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaning out corners: Egyptian 9MM Ammunition Revisited hard primers

Yes, primers are said to be hard. It was designed for use in their sub machine gun.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Personally I'd re-use the brass then toss it (or recycle it) after. Why waste 3500 perfectly good primers?

Run 'em through an Uzi. :D

·
Registered
499 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of this through Uzi's and M-11's and only had to replace one barrel in an M-11. Wouldn't shoot it in anything but an open bolt gun though.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've shot thousands of rounds of this through Uzi's and M-11's and only had to replace one barrel in an M-11. Wouldn't shoot it in anything but an open bolt gun though.
Why? What is different about an open bolt vs closed bolt designed weapon with the ammo?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
An open bolt gun fires with the inertia and weight of a large bolt behind it. The closed bolt gun relies on a firing pin and striker. Common problems in closed bolt guns are,
Worn striker spring, crud between the pin and bolt causing light or slight strikes if not clean.
An open bolt gun such as an Uzi will absolutely smash the **** out of the primer regardless of how hard they are. Even if the primers are pierced, the gas hits solid bolt face. No big deal.
Closed bolt anything that pierces primers will vent the gas into the firing pin hole leaving crud and premature erosion of said parts. In short, an Uzi is the Honey Badger �� of subguns. It just doesn’t care.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
great info guys, i have a bunch of this Egypt 9mm and was always kind of reluctant to shoot it. im going to blast it out of my FA uzi. THANKS for posting this

·
Registered
442 Posts
An open bolt gun fires with the inertia and weight of a large bolt behind it. The closed bolt gun relies on a firing pin and striker. Common problems in closed bolt guns are,
Worn striker spring, crud between the pin and bolt causing light or slight strikes if not clean.
An open bolt gun such as an Uzi will absolutely smash the **** out of the primer regardless of how hard they are. Even if the primers are pierced, the gas hits solid bolt face. No big deal.
Closed bolt anything that pierces primers will vent the gas into the firing pin hole leaving crud and premature erosion of said parts. In short, an Uzi is the Honey Badger �� of subguns. It just doesn’t care.
Oh. Good to know. But I think the number of people in the US who can make use of that information (i.e. can possess an open bolt FA Uzi are rather limited). I have a semi Uzi and was thinking of feeding it some of the same Egyptian stuff, but it's just so cheap to make 9mm I haven't bothered.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would shoot it in any open bolt smg. I’ve shoot a bunch in my swedish k with no issue at all. As described before I would sell it cheap or at component price and save yourself time of pulling bullet that are fine to shoot.
YMMV

·
Registered
25 Posts
Firing Eqyptian 9 mm in closed bolt weapons

I have fired this ammo in several pistols; I haven't had significant trouble with it.
What I have I bought in 2 batches; the first batch of 12 or so years ago worked great with few to no misfires depending on the gun - the second batch, bought 2 years ago, has given me more misfires but still not many.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went through this with 7.62x25 I have a couple pps43 semis. I was using some stuff I bought at mgs and it worked great. bought some polish stuff and the primers were too hard to set off with just a hammer fired. sold it all to a friend who has a fa ppsh41 and it worked like a charm. now the price has gone through the roof for the shootable stuff. wish I would have bought more at that five bucks for 50 rounds when it was available.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I went through this with 7.62x25 I have a couple pps43 semis. I was using some stuff I bought at mgs and it worked great. bought some polish stuff and the primers were too hard to set off with just a hammer fired. sold it all to a friend who has a fa ppsh41 and it worked like a charm. now the price has gone through the roof for the shootable stuff. wish I would have bought more at that five bucks for 50 rounds when it was available.

Navy Arms was selling the stuff for $50 a thousand. Wood cases of 5,000 sealed metal tins for $225. When you bought more, you paid less...

·
11,182 Posts
Shattered talks about that and cracking the slab in his garage from an ammo delivery, all the time. its to make us younger folks green with envy.

my best was ~10 cent 8mm and ~15 cent 54r

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I got into machine guns that was one of the first stories I read about online. I do need to meet Shattered one of these days. Just so I can say I met him.
If I remember right there is one of him using shot out 1919 barrels in concrete in place of rebar?

·
11,182 Posts
hahahaah i don't know about the barrel rebar thing but i hope its true.

surprised you two don't know each other. hes based out of north east ohio

1 - 20 of 23 Posts