1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a YouTube video and it was a reinactor with his 1919a4. The end of the heat shield closest to the box was wrapped in a used cloth ammunition belt. He stated this was done to protect the 2nd gunners hands as the gun wad moved positions. It sounds logical, however I have looked and have yet to see a single wartime photo with this done. What do you all think?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have seen improvised carry handles before and even a rope sling tied to the shroud but I can't recall ever seeing a belt wrapped around it. I can't see that surviving any type of sustained fire. Although that is not to say a clever GI with a piece of asbestos cloth didn't wrap the aft section of the shroud. That I could certainly see and would for sure be field expedient.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I searched through a bunch of photos after I watched that video. Didn't believe it. Not a single photo found. I was however surprised at the number of safety bars I saw in photos. Makes me want to add mine to my build haha

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I was watching a documentary once about combat in the islands and there was a short clip of a guy hip firing a 1919 as he was wading ashore, he was using empty belts as a carry strap and a heat shield! I tried to find it online so I could get a screen grab but could never find it!

·
Registered
1919a4, Automag, AutomagII, AMT, HK300, .30 enforcer, various ARs and cap/ball bp. +++
62 Posts
some exhaust header wrap should do nicely and look authentic if done right, or an ov-glove silicone mit....not authentic but cheep!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts