1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
12,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an oddly timed meetin in port Clinton today. 10:45.
Righteous, I'll leave early as if I am late there will be a 4 month delay for a reschedule. Of course with extra time planned there was absolutely no traffic. With extra time the contingency was to hit up the cmp before my meeting instead of after

So disappointing. Last time I was at the cmp the rack grade garands were like $400.
Now the drill rifles that have been welded into oblivion are the same price. Least expensive garand is a Springfield M1D for $1000.

Only slightly overpriced commercial Ammo, a dozen each of service and correct grade garands ranging up to $3000+ and A few cheap air guns and nothing else.

Still smells like a pile of old guns but that's all that really remains of what was the last hold out for cheaper firearms and Ammo.

*wipes away single solitary tear

Rory

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Rory the last time I was there the Greek 30.06 jumped to .27 cents a rd. and the Mossberg M44's were about 150.00 and the racks were full but sadly I think Ranger is right the good ole days are gone forever :( I would still go if I was in the area because the way things are going they my end up closed forever so at least our generation was able to enjoy it and someday we can tell our grandkids about it and they will think we are just old and crazy lol.

·
12,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not really sure what I expected but maybe just a larger selection even if the prices were high

·
Registered
8 Posts
I still remember my first visit to the South Store back in 2010 and was amazed at what I saw. Spent hours going thru the racks trying to decide what to buy.

I visited again earlier this year and and ended up only buying some ammo. Luckily I was driving thru and didn't make a whole trip out of it like the first time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The good old days are gone and won't be back. When they changed to a limit of 12 guns per person per year it went fast. Those are the guns you see at the gun shows that were bought by people who had no interest in preserving or competing with the guns, only making a buck. Same with the ammo, buy all you can grab and resell it for a profit. When I bought my first and only Garand it was one per lifetime at 165.00 and a nine month wait. I bought one of each gun they had that I could afford and still have all of them. Sadly we have only ourselves to blame. I still shoot the CMP week of matches but its not the same and never will be. I saw guys carting out all the guns their credit card could handle and knew the end was coming but the CMP got the money and is shifting to all training with a heavy emphasis on air rifles. Maybe they know something we don't? going the way of the Brits and Aussies with no firearms and all air guns?

rant off sorry it was just disturbing to see the downhill slide.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts