1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Colt 1928 kit FS- $2000

I have a complete colt 1928 kit here. As far as i know its all there. There can be a few very small peices missing but not sure. I spent several hours going over this kit. If i am missing a part please let me know. The only things not inclueded is a barrel. I left that part out bc most people will shoot another caliber so i left that up to the buyer to choose which caliber they wanted. There is also no cork assembly. The only issue insaw with the kit was a crack in the front trunnion area on the left sideplate as shown. Needs to be fixed. The waterjacket is in really good shape. I only found one small ding on the side from what i could find. It was one of my best jackets i have. I sandblasted the jacket some time ago to see just how well the finish was bc it was painted at some point. Overall the kit is in good shape. Please ask any questions. Im asking $2000.00 plus shipping which will prob be about $50 . First to say they will take it gets it followed by a PM.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I think there's interest ... it's just people are trying to figure out where the money is coming from... and maybe it's a wait and see how expensive the new year may be depending who is president.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
The crack in the side plate may concern other folks as it would myself. Novices, like myself, do not have the experience or the talent to repair something like this on their own or know what it would take or if it is even possible. Perhaps some input from one of the many experts here would peak interest and help get this kit sold for you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The crack in the side plate may concern other folks as it would myself. Novices, like myself, do not have the experience or the talent to repair something like this on their own or know what it would take or if it is even possible. Perhaps some input from one of the many experts here would peak interest and help get this kit sold for you.
The sandblasted jacket may be a piece of this as well. I think its a great and complete kit, but I'm not 100% how the sandblasting affects one's choice of finishes later (blue v. park v. paint). Again, input from others would probably help here. I'm not being critical of the kit, I'd love to own it, but the funding is lacking on my end. Just a question that may arise in the minds of others.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Not an expert but I do have some observations:

1. Price is extremely fair especially when you take into account that OOW originally sold them off at $1,650 and the condition of many kits was not nearly as good as this one. Especially in the case of the water jacket I think this one was better than most of the ones I have seen.
  2. A NEW water cooled water jacket with brass end alone probably retails for $1,500 without steam tube and water plugs.
  3. The sand blasting of water jacket does not impact anything if you are parkerizing the gun. If bluing the gun more polishing would be required.
  4. The majority of 1928 Colt plates will have cracks in the same location or at the front top plate rivet hole. Sometimes hairline and sometimes larger. From what i have been told by experts on this forum, this is not a difficult repair.
  5. You do not often see these kits available any more, want an inexpensive water cooled gun, this is a perfect candidate. Makes sense to get even if you bought it for the water jacket alone to build a 1917/1917A1 clone and piece meal sold the extra 1928 Colt parts. :rolleyes:

I think it is a matter of timing. It is funny how some really great buys can sit on the forum for weeks. Once it is sold 5 people will want it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not an expert but I do have some observations:

1. Price is extremely fair especially when you take into account that OOW originally sold them off at $1,650 and the condition of many kits was not nearly as good as this one. Especially in the case of the water jacket I think this one was better than most of the ones I have seen.
  2. A NEW water cooled water jacket with brass end alone probably retails for $1,500 without steam tube and water plugs.
  3. The sand blasting of water jacket does not impact anything if you are parkerizing the gun. If bluing the gun more polishing would be required.
  4. The majority of 1928 Colt plates will have cracks in the same location or at the front top plate rivet hole. Sometimes hairline and sometimes larger. From what i have been told by experts on this forum, this is not a difficult repair.
  5. You do not often see these kits available any more, want an inexpensive water cooled gun, this is a perfect candidate. Makes sense to get even if you bought it for the water jacket alone to build a 1917/1917A1 clone and piece meal sold the extra 1928 Colt parts. :rolleyes:

I think it is a matter of timing. It is funny how some really great buys can sit on the forum for weeks. Once it is sold 5 people will want it.
Nicely said. Im not in a hurry to sell anything, but it is complete now. It took me about 2 years to complete this kit with many trips to the creek, from other forum members, and other dealers. To be honest I completed this kit for the hunt and thrill of finding the parts i needed. Many hours were put into find the parts, but hey its a hobby and labor of love. If anyone wants more pictures just ask and ill post some. Thanks for everyones input.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
let us know how it goes.

I see a fairly priced FN32 and FN38 also went without a bite on here.

My guess, the election has depressed demand for the moment. This would have been gone in 60 seconds if the hilda beast was in charge

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
This would have been gone in 60 seconds if the hilda beast was in charge
So would anything else firearm related, ammo, primers, powder, ect....
CaptMax

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ya i would have bought a bunch of stuff too! If the auction goes well, i may just have to put another kit up for sale. The wife is tired of old oily parts laying around. I thought they made great center pieces on the kitchen table and coffee table. !!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
just an fyi next year with even more Bat sh&t crazy laws coming into effect Jan 1st 2017 in Ca, belt fed rifles will still be legal and I think a lot of people whom have stocked up ak ar scar etc will be looking to buy congrats on your sale a very nice kit

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just an fyi next year with even more Bat sh&t crazy laws coming into effect Jan 1st 2017 in Ca, belt fed rifles will still be legal and I think a lot of people whom have stocked up ak ar scar etc will be looking to buy congrats on your sale a very nice kit
Well thanks for the info. I will soon have another kit up for sale just as an FYI to any in the next few months looking for one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts