1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have stumbled across a Colt 52A and I have been told to offer a price. I know asking prices can be met with resistance but I have no clue where to start because I have never seen one sell; a range would be helpful. I know JMANN has a few but they are the only ones I have heard of. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Depends on condition, which is the most importent subjective variable, and whether it has original Colt internals and barrel or has been fitted with military parts, which is not so much subjective. Many no longer have their original Colt internals and barrels which is fine with some buyers and not others. I've seen a few really pristine examples, one or two that were parkerized, and some that need a full reblue with dented jackets and various scars. Beautiful MGs!
I've owned a few and still have one. Prices are in mid $30k in my opinion, and a bit higher for an example that is not exceptional, with excellent plus, all original examples probably above $40k. Niche market.
There are no correct commercial tripods in the US for these guns that I've ever heard of or some across which is unfortunate, since there are numbers of them in South America that cannot be imported into the US due to drug and trade treaties and US money politically tied to preventing any weapons from import. FWIW

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Fwiw...

Given an opportunity to purchase an original Colt M52A...I'd cash in a 401 or other retirement account in a minute. Did this just before 2000 and never looked back when I cashed everything in to further my business. Market was at its peak then and you had several options with no taxes due. Also bought gold when the Brits cashed in 1/3 of their total reserves in 2000...$248.00 per oz. I've since bought several pieces of armor,several class 3 weapons,paid off two homes and a business. Got to make these decisions quickly...or lose the advantage and miss the opportunity. Get out of paper assets and think 'tangiable-assets'...things you can hold in your hand. Chance favors the prepared mind.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on condition, which is the most importent subjective variable, and whether it has original Colt internals and barrel or has been fitted with military parts, which is not so much subjective. Many no longer have their original Colt internals and barrels which is fine with some buyers and not others. I've seen a few really pristine examples, one or two that were parkerized, and some that need a full reblue with dented jackets and various scars. Beautiful MGs!
I've owned a few and still have one. Prices are in mid $30k in my opinion, and a bit higher for an example that is not exceptional, with excellent plus, all original examples probably above $40k. Niche market.
There are no correct commercial tripods in the US for these guns that I've ever heard of or some across which is unfortunate, since there are numbers of them in South America that cannot be imported into the US due to drug and trade treaties and US money politically tied to preventing any weapons from import. FWIW
Had a friend notify about this gun and he claims it is in excellent condition; he had only one distant picture of it since he wasn't particularly interested in it. I will have to check to find out wether the internals are all colt or not. Thanks for the input; now I have a starting point.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
For what it's worth, here's what machinegun price guide dot com shows:

Non C&R​

C&R​

Their prices may not be perfect, but their trend lines appear to be right on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went for a look see !

I took a road trip today to check out the Colt 52A. This gun is as pristine as I have ever seen a gun of this age. It looks like it just came off the assembly line. I asked the owner if he could verify if the internals were original Colt and he showed me the barrel thread and barrel extension thread and stated it was a proprietary fine thread which was only used by Colt. I haven't had to time to verify this but I have no reason to doubt the owner since the man has a impeccable collection and knows his way around .50 cals. While there I also looked at a nice example of a Kelsey Hayes AN/M2. I am going to sleep on it but there is a good chance I will be sending a down payment on both tomorrow

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Yes, the Colt 52 barrel threads are fine compared to the military which are 10TPI, so it has Colt internals, which is a plus. Colt internals are stamped with a small 'C'. Sounds like a very nice gun! Probably be on the high end of pricing as well.
Kelsey-Hayes ANM-2s are scarce in the registry compared to Buffalo Arms examples, but that doesn't really matter much for pricing, in my view.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the Colt 52 barrel threads are fine compared to the military which are 10TPI, so it has Colt internals, which is a plus. Colt internals are stamped with a small 'C'. Sounds like a very nice gun! Probably be on the high end of pricing as well.
Kelsey-Hayes ANM-2s are scarce in the registry compared to Buffalo Arms examples, but that doesn't really matter much for pricing, in my view.
Do you have an opinion on value range for the Kelsey Hayes? Serial number puts it at 1943 production and is equally as nice as the 52A

·
Watercooled Addict
2,148 Posts
If you send me some pics of the 52 i will be glad to look them over for you and see if all looks correct.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Most of the c+R ANM-2 types in the registry are Colts and Buffalo Arms. A Kelsey-Hayes is not very common but a premium would not apply due to that in my opinion. Originality and condition are the drivers of value. Current prices that are reflective of actual sales are $18K and a bit higher for premium condition and usual parameters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you send me some pics of the 52 i will be glad to look them over for you and see if all looks correct.
This is all I have. It was the picture sent to me before I saw it. I was so involved checking out the gun when I saw it I never thought to take pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of the c+R ANM-2 types in the registry are Colts and Buffalo Arms. A Kelsey-Hayes is not very common but a premium would not apply due to that in my opinion. Originality and condition are the drivers of value. Current prices that are reflective of actual sales are $18K and a bit higher for premium condition and usual parameters.
The Kelsey Hayes is the upper gun.....only picture I have

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
ok this owner is certainly a Colt guy by the picture you posted and the real nice M2HB in it as well as the early bipod and is that the rear end of a BAR I see in the back ground?
Is that colt as well?
What were in all the empty spots on that rack?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...sure looks like 'em...

Believe you are correct,Russ. In fact...looks like all 3-guns are BAR's. Bottom one has the later bakalite black stock. Wood stocks on the other two could be an original 1918A1 or later semi-auto models.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Oh....my post about the Kelsey-Hayes concerned .30 cal ANM-2s, not .50 M2s. You didn't make it clear in Your posts that the "ANM-2s" you had were .50s. Externally, gun is in the M3 configuration. Is it marked m3? Does it have M3 internals. Anyway, ironically, the KelseyHayes Wheel Weight made guns in .50 are also scarce, but still that maker does not necessarily add a premium. The gun looks like a beauty so top value would apply if in fact it is so pristine. Pristine M2 .50s, GMs, Springfields, etc, etc, can bring well over $40k in really nice condition. Might have to wait a while for a buyer, but start high and negotiate. Really pristine guns are very attractive to the investment buyers.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok this owner is certainly a Colt guy by the picture you posted and the real nice M2HB in it as well as the early bipod and is that the rear end of a BAR I see in the back ground?
Is that colt as well?
What were in all the empty spots on that rack?
Yes there were 3 BARS there. Two with checkered for ends that looked almost unfired and one that he called his shooter with smooth forend. Other than that I didn't look to closely at them. I was literally in shock when I walked through the place

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh....my post about the Kelsey-Hayes concerned .30 cal ANM-2s, not .50 M2s. You didn't make it clear in Your posts that the "ANM-2s" you had were .50s. Externally, gun is in the M3 configuration. Is it marked m3? Does it have M3 internals. Anyway, ironically, the KelseyHayes Wheel Weight made guns in .50 are also scarce, but still that maker does not necessarily add a premium. The gun looks like a beauty so top value would apply if in fact it is so pristine. Pristine M2 .50s, GMs, Springfields, etc, etc, can bring well over $40k in really nice condition. Might have to wait a while for a buyer, but start high and negotiate. Really pristine guns are very attractive to the investment buyers.......
This gun has M2 internals and is indeed pristine. Sorry I don't have a better picture of the 52A it is sort of in the background of the other picture.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Yes there were 3 BARS there. Two with checkered for ends that looked almost unfired and one that he called his shooter with smooth forend. Other than that I didn't look to closely at them. I was literally in shock when I walked through the place
If it looks like Colt and smells like Colt...... Whom ever this guy is he has darn good taste and an eye for the details. Nice find I hope the deal goes through for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it looks like Colt and smells like Colt...... Whom ever this guy is he has darn good taste and an eye for the details. Nice find I hope the deal goes through for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
Yes, lots of Colt and other items. This picture was another group and I never did get a picture of his wall of Thompson's but there were at least 8 of them

1 - 20 of 23 Posts