1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now, here's something you don't see every day. I found it over on the Colt Forum and thought members here would enjoy it. Without much ado, I present a Colt Elephant Gun:

(Is that a spent shell casing I spy falling down the elephant's right foreleg?)

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I'm guessing there was a fair amount of beer involved in setting up this shot. Elephants have excellent hearing. An unexpected muzzle blast would likely result in close contact with the ground followed by even closer contact when the elephant turned around and stomped your dumb ass into the dirt.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
I have seen that photo on another occasion. Obviously set up as a prop, and I highly doubt any rounds were sent down range from up there. :)

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
....might be..

Looks like a Bene't Mesier strip-fed French gun on a 1917 tripod. That was the issue weapon for the 1917 Machine Gun Cart series for WW1. But when the crews arrived in England,most machine gun crews were issued the Vickers gun...modified by Colt for 30/06. Then they had to be trained to transport,dismount and put the gun into the line for combat.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I'm guessing there was a fair amount of beer involved in setting up this shot. Elephants have excellent hearing. An unexpected muzzle blast would likely result in close contact with the ground followed by even closer contact when the elephant turned around and stomped your dumb ass into the dirt.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The elephant does not appear to be amused.

In case anyone is interested, that dark stuff between the elephant's toes........slow natives.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The elephant does not appear to be amused.
In case anyone is interested, that dark stuff between the elephant's toes........slow natives.
Uh, that's an Asian Elephant.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Cool potato digger photo. the belt is partway empty? Who knows maybe the elephant was trained/acclimated like horses for gunfire? That's how things used to be? Nowadays your hunting dog follows you through the brush because it's considered to be cruel and inhumane to send them through tall grass and shoot in their direction?

I think i remember seeing pictures of the Indian Rajahs hunting tigers from baskets on elephants

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
The term "Howdah guns" (ie., big bore mudderflickers used for last ditch effort against a charging tiger up close) comes from the howdah, which is a platform on the back of an elephant. Hunters from the period of the British Raj in India, used them as a platform for hunting wild animals and used large-caliber side-arms for protection from animal attacks. The practice of hunting from the howdah basket on top of an Asian elephant was first made popular by the joint Anglo-Indian, East India Company during the late eighteenth century and went into the end of Raj in the middle of the twentieth century and even somewhat later.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I seem to recall seeing pictures of Gatling guns mounted on camels. I doubt if either were ever fired from that position they just made great pictures to show how mobile the army portrayed was.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,146 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i just noticed it. Anyway i guess there is one more type of mount i need now. So look for me at the april creek firing a maxim of a pachyderm. Also any leads on aforementioned pachyderm will be appreciated! Guess i am going to need a bigger trailer also.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I know this is an old thread but i just noticed it. Anyway i guess there is one more type of mount i need now. So look for me at the april creek firing a maxim of a pachyderm. Also any leads on aforementioned pachyderm will be appreciated! Guess i am going to need a bigger trailer also.
Hey jmann, if you get one of these then I need to beg, borrow or steal a shooter pass for the event. I've never shot off a pachyderm mount before. That would be a real high... er... maybe real high.... oh, let's just say that would be an experience one would never forget.... :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts