1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Interesting. Wish we could see more. But my other thought is one of the other European makers. Didn't the Swedes, as well as FN, make versions of the BAR? Not saying this is not a Monitor, I can't see enough to be sure, just throwing out other possibilities.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
...not the BAR 1918a1

The weapon in front with the glove on it certainly looks like the Monitor...not a 1918a1 BAR. The US issue BAR had a smooth barrel...not finned like the one shown.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Just pulled up pics I had found online, of Swedish and FN models, for comparison.

Wood Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bar

Judging by the pistol grip, finned heavy barrel, and the rear sight, which looks to be backwards from the US models... I'm gonna vote polish BAR. And it looks like a polish bipod leg peaking out up front. I'll see if I can find a pic to post.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Interesting photograph to say the least. I understand that FN produced the BAR in .303 British. I have never seen one and do not know who used a BAR in .303 British. Could it be one of them?

--fjruple

·
Registered
869 Posts
I agree with ejc78 - Polish WZ28. Of the various foriegn produced BAR's, the rear sight base is distinctive as described.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
In looking at the Polish, which is a model I was unaware of, I think that's a distinct possibility. However, I see the rear sight base on most of these European BARs as very similar to the original 1918 U.S. model, which was a very short lived design over here. I think we are so familiar with the later BAR sight base, the rectangular shaped "ears," that it is easy to forget that the WWI 1918 had a very different style, and these European models seem to have kept that.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
If that is the early 1918 sight base, its on backwards on that rifle. J
Good observation, J. So I looked back at the two pics I posted above to double check. The Swedish ones show the sight base in the direction as the US model, while the FN in the second pic shows the reverse, though the general "swoopy" profile is similar, if directionally reversed. Just found a pic of a Polish 1928, so here ya go.

Leg Airsoft gun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts