1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1919a4 and it came with a bunch of parts including a black plastic / composite carry handle. searched around a little and could not find a whole lot of info. Just wondering what the history is on these things. Who made them? when? why? are they rare? better or worse than the wooden ones?

I have several carry handles and I'm probably going to sell a few off to thin pile just wondering if this is one I should hold onto or not. I don't particularly like the aesthetics but I might hold onto it if its significantly unique or rare.

https://flic.kr/p/EnH4FD

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I purchased a 1919a4 and it came with a bunch of parts including a black plastic / composite carry handle. searched around a little and could not find a whole lot of info. Just wondering what the history is on these things. Who made them? when? why? are they rare? better or worse than the wooden ones?

I have several carry handles and I'm probably going to sell a few off to thin pile just wondering if this is one I should hold onto or not. I don't particularly like the aesthetics but I might hold onto it if its significantly unique or rare.

https://flic.kr/p/EnH4FD
Are you referring to the black plastic handle that sits about at a 45 degree angle and attaches to the BBL shroud?

Mines Izzy. Nothing special other than the Izzy A6 conversion kits are getting rare nowadays, but I cant imagine the handle by itself is a big ticket item.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Yes it is an Izzy handle and all the USGI ones were wood for the A4. The izzy handles also had a beefier chunk of metal as opposed to the USGI ones that were just stamped sheet metal. I f you do a search for 1919A4carry handle you will see pictures of both and soon figure out the differences. Sorry but I am traveling otherwise I would post pictures for you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I'm just wondering why they switched from wood to plastic, was there some better advantage or issue they were resolving or was plastic just the trend at the time so that's what Israelis went with.

I'm guessing it was during the time when plastic was all the reage. I also struggle to see why they abandoned the simple sheet metal and when with the big bulky metal.

·
Premium Member
6,928 Posts
Well the one thing you can bank on is that the Israelis are very serious about their weapons ad they did a lot of improvements to the 1919A4. Their bipod for example was superior to ours as well as a number of other things but at to why they went with plastic I have no clue other than my own opinion and we all know what they say about opinions :tongue:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
My impression, though it is only based on observation, is that the Israeli ones were made with plastic from the beginning. USGI carry handles date from the 40s and 50s, when wood was still the standard material. The Israeli production is probably late 60s or into the 70s, from what I understand. Different eras would account for the different choices. I've never had the Izzy handles, but I have a bunch of the wood USGI ones in stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts