1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just joined the community. My searches often have brought me here. Great information on this site from knowledgeable people. Thanks!

So...I'm looking to get a Semi for myself and also build a couple dummies for vehicle show purposes. I've got a GTB "Burma" that needs to be jazzed up gun truck style. Dummies I'll build using old whatever on a compliant dummy RHSP. My questions pertain to what is out there and legal for semi's and dummy builds.

First off: Models

I'm looking at an early TNW Semi in 30.06
And (I know this will make some cringe) there's a parts kit Hesse H1919 Izzy in .308 available to me.

The TNW is a beautiful looking gun. And I see more a better reputation by far over the Hesse.

The Hesse is completely disassembled with a cut up RHSP. I've seen plenty online that makes me think to stay away from the Hesse for a functional semi. Maybe pick it up to Frankenstein into a dummy if it can be had for cheap. I assume it's apart because it's likely junk that blew up.

2nd: Compliance.

I need definitive answers on Dummy, Semi compliant RHSP"s. I see the 80% selection online currently. Stenparts for example lists two available. One in 3/16 for original FA and the other in 1/4 for Semi.

Have Semi's always been built on 1/4 RHSP thickness? Because I'm being told that the Hesse box of parts has RHSP pieces that measure 3/16 and not 1/4. Did Hesse put out out FA models?

And I've also seen reference to ATF compliant dummy RHSP for the 1919 series is required to be 1/2 inch thick.

I would think that a 80% (not finished) in either 3/16 or 1/4 installed loose on a dummy is a big no no?

Theoretically, building a dummy from assorted worn out parts cut down to "fit" against a non- finished ( no inner channels) 80%. There's likely no way around the 1/2 inch requirement and would be no good for compliance, correct?

3rd:

Do the Semi and FA RHSP's share all the same holes, channels, bolt slot placement, etc in all three configurations (Semi, FA, Dummy compliant)? It's just the thickness that varies?

A few questions and I appreciate the knowledge of those that know more than me. I'm new to the 1919. I've always stuck to more obscure oddball MG's and other armament.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
To answer a few questions yes the side plates share all the same details locations it is the thickness that determines what it is, 3/16" full auto, 3/16" with the denial island (1/4") semi auto and the 1/2" thick plates are dummies. You can't really do anything with the Hesse plate unless you want a 10 year vacation in club fed. In my opinion if you are going to build a dummy with original parts and the parts are good I would build it as a semi before sacrificing hard to find parts for a dummy that will not really increase that much in value. I have a dummy gas gun set up which is another option if you are putting it on an MV. If you want any further info get in touch with me and I am willing to help and answer any questions because it is easier over the phone than typing it all out in detail. Russ

·
Registered
212 Posts
As toolman said don't use the 3/16 plates at all. Those are for FA. To clear any confusion a semi RHSP is 3/16" WITH a 1/4" denial island that runs from the rear to the trunion area. It is below the charging slot, This stops FA bolt and lock frame from fitting in the receiver. The dummy side plates have a 3/16" inch lip top and bottom so they can be riveted to the box and at trunion area but are otherwise 1/2" thick so no working parts, semi or FA, Will fit. On the dummy guns, there are 2 on GB right now. They are listed cheaper then a parts kit for useable parts. I hope my explanation on side plates helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies.

Yes, I do now see how the semi conversions are done with the denial island on the RHSP along with the internal modes.

Most of my frustrations were from this Hesse kit that was available. Some pics were sent to me finally of the " Hesse Semi kit" and I see now that an individual had reworked a semi Hesse into something else. The confusion came from the seller of the kit thinking the kit was semi based on the remnants of the name on the cut up 3/16 RHSP.

Hence my original question as to did anyone at some point put out a Semi in 3/16. I was pondering whether there might have been earlier compliant Semi's before the 1/4 ATF guidelines.

The short of it...I don't like stale baloney sandwiches or orange jumpsuits.

And I would never destroy good parts for a dummy. I do like the gas gun idea. I've hit up a few shows that had them mounted on jeeps for demonstration. I think my Burma decked out into a field improvised gun truck would be something different.

So if I went gas gun, the 1/2 inch dummy is ok for the build?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
Nobody ever made 3/16" semi plates although over the years people have sold them at the creek and guys unknowingly bought them thinking they would work. You can do a gas gun in a 1/2" dummy build or do what I did, I made a custom unit that slips into my semi to run full auto with oxygen/mapp gas. It converts back and forth between gas and semi auto live fire in under 10 minutes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts