1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible AND easy to slap on a water jacket to a full auto 1919a4 so it can become a pseudo 1917? Sorry in advance if it's just a ridiculous thought or undertaking. It would be fun (and expensive) to be able to run thru 250rd belts w/o stopping.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
...good idea...

Easier to do it that way than try to make a 1917 into a 1919...LOL. Contact Lou Murtha (blacksheep) for a screw-on water jacket for your 1919. All you'll have to do is drill and tap a hole for the jacket stop. Believe that will be the way to do it. And get a barrel..or two...turned down to fit into the water jacket. Lou should be able to get you going in a short time.

·
Registered
312 Posts
1919-1917?????

Not impossible but you would likely need machine tools. Remember you are not just talking about swapping out the front half but if you want it to look like a 1917 you have to find some parts ( Sights and sight base. ) that are hard to find and expensive. Specially made barrel as the chamber end OD of a real 1917 barrel is about .100 smaller than a 1919 barrel. Getting a weight match would be the hardest part. I was walking in and out of Safeway market weighing my newly machined barrel. LOL ( Just over 3 LBS )
Also possible as I did that when I got my 1917. There is also a possibility that the ATF might be concerned about the new look. I think that could be worked out.
Sounds like fun though.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I emailed Lou, but does anyone have any pics of this setup?
I can dig my original ohioblacksheep set up out and snap a pic or two. But here is what I expect you will hear from Lou. Part of this conversion was to thread the forward trunnion bore for a sleeve, which then fits the smaller bearing diameter of the 1917 profile barrel. That is not something he can likely do on an assembled receiver, especially a papered MG. And then you do, as pointed out above, need a locating screw tapped into your trunnion to secure the jacket in alignment. Again, this is pretty hard to do when your trunnion is not on the loose. The barrel issue could be resolved by custom turning a full diameter A4 barrel, leaving the rear bearing at A4 spec, and then the rest down to 1917 spec. But securing the jacket alignment is the remaining challenge. See what Lou has to say.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
If a traditional conversion, waterjacket from Ohio blacksheep, topcover and rear sight ( Lucky 13 or scrounge around, topcover latch also Lucky) barrel which Lou can turn down or you could look for originals, backplate if you want the full look.

You will be happy if you do the full conversion, just a real eye catcher of a gun.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I built my semi RIA '17A1 using one of Lou's complete water jackets (with the bronze trunnion and cap), rear sight parts from Lucky and a new set of side plates - fit and finish of Lou's jacket was beautiful!!!. If you are going the distance in converting an A4 to a '17A1 you will also need to remove the sight bracket on the left side plate. If you just want to be able to keep the temperature of the barrel down and not be into it for a ton of money Lou also makes an economy water jacket which is all steel - I'm not sure of the cost but it's a bit more than half of what the bronze ones sell for.

FYI - Greaser turns down A4 barrels to the correct USGI 1917 profile - he does excellent work!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Here is my Westinghouse gun built on a Ohio Black Sheep economy jacket.
It's all the incidentals that add up but these are a great piece of hardware!
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Max, did you ever think about painting the end caps? They make metallic paint these days that looks pretty good even from a couple feet away.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Hi Guys,

The screw on jacket was my 1st jacket brain fart that I THOUGHT was going to be an Easy Thing:( As Rollin stated, it got Really involved from the start.. One of the 1st things I found out was the trunion thread size is All Over the place.. I just about had to custom cut each back plate to each trunion to get them to fit up right..Big Pain!!! The One Size fits All thing I was hopeing for just isn't there.... I'm thinking the wide open spec's on the trunion threads is why we have seen air jackets lead soldered to the trunions.

At the time, kits and guns were a LOT cheaper and we were just making fun toys to play with.. To keep the cost of them down, I was using material that looked good but not in spec as far as size goes.. As we Evolved, and the price of everything shot up, Folks were looking for more to Spec stuff.. That's why I ended up going with building the whole thing with the trunion attached...

Believe me, I Really Wish it would have been as Easy as I was Day Dreaming in the beginning, I'd of made a Whole Lot more of them !!!!....Lou

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info on converting. Sounds like for myself, it'll be too many permanent changes for my transferable 1919a4. Sounds like semi would work though. Good luck for those who go ahead.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Max, did you ever think about painting the end caps? They make metallic paint these days that looks pretty good even from a couple feet away.
Yes it did cross my mind Abominog, but that's as far as it went. I built two of these back in the day, they were Lou's first design.
If I found a paint that looked like really good match i would try it, got any you can recommend that you have seen used?
I kind of like the look as it is, it sort of dates the gun as a first generation Ohio Black Sheep product. :D
CaptMax

1 - 13 of 13 Posts