1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, when the paarts sets were just coming in, I started building my 1919A4 with button head cap screws. I now want to finish it (as I should have) with rivets.
I realize the holes are larger than normal: 1/4" for the top plate holes and threaded 13/64" for the bottom plate.
Where can I find rivets that are appropriate for these holes, but not have the huge rivet heads that will look out of place?
I'm hopeing someone else has done this and has some suggestions?
Lance (reset back to 1!)

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,165 Posts
Lance, I have not done one like this, but here is a suggestion. If you put a small chamfer in for strength- not too wide to cover up- on the holes where you want the domed rivets, you can get a good head on them without going too much bigger than normal. Try experimenting with different lengths of rivet, and with the chamfer. With the right combination I think you could get the look pretty good. Practice on some scrap first!

I expect McMaster-Carr would have suitable rivets, though they would be 90 degree.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I think thats a good idea. I believe you could use a blunt punch instead of a countersink on the holes and reduce the size a little bit at the same time.

In fact, (I'm brainstorming here) you might even be able to make a punch with a short tip the size of the rivet with a sharp angle shoulder behind it and peen the holes back to almost normal size. I do it all the time with worn nail holes in horseshoes so the procedure is valid, anyhow.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
lance, on the old forum one member (may have been mcj600) did the exact same thing that you're doing. He used 1/4" rivets and posted pics and after doming them I swear you could hardly tell the difference between those and 3/16" one's so I wouldn't be timid about using the slightly larger rivets. McMaster Carr has them. Since they are only 1/16" larger than normal, if you trim them slightly shorter than 5/32" I bet you can still use the 3/16" rivet tool to dome them and they will look almost exactly the same as original. If you happen to have an OOW parts set with that scrap piece of rsp or another piece of scrap metal, do a couple practice ones.

Here's the link to the 90 degree countersink rivets http://www.mcmaster.com/ ...just type in 3149 in the "find" block in the upper left and that will take you to catalog page 3149; look halfway down the page. I'd use the plain steel 1/4"x3/4" and work them down to a tad less than 5/32" protrusion and try a couple test rivets. You can use 1/4" rod from Home Depot for the top plate rivet.

BTW, these rivets are so soft that they will smash out easily into a 60 degree countersink if you can't find a 90 degree countersink...with 1/4" rivets you just increased the shear strength of your bottom plate attachments by a significant amount so I wouldn't worry too much about it coming apart.

Let us know how you do whatever method you use.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Piece of cake. Follow the instructions above and use the oversize rivets. No problemo. Will be stronger and look just as good.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all.
I haven't been back to the board in over a year, but will have to check back in more often!!
Off to hunt for rivets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts