1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Lithgow Vickers use brass plugs? Or only the plastic? I looked at wartime images and can’t tell, and don’t trust the IMA and other display guns.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
MA is Aussie.

Nice water plug dude. I don't think I've seen a marked one before.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Correct, if I’m not mistaken, Lithgow was the Australian Manufacturer. Aren’t all MA parts from Lithgow?
LOL! WHOOPS!

I was eating and typing and I guess I forgot to finish my thought. :ROFLMAO:

"MA is Aussie and Lithgow is Australian"

There, now I said it. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,175 Posts
Redroth -- wow, it looks like a virgin plug! My 1940 dated Lithgow (SN 746) arrived as a kit with Bakelite plugs. I used to have Lithgow kit SN 139 (pre-1939 manufacture) that also had Bakelite plugs. This discussion caused me to look at the plugs I have on my fluted jacked guns which are improperly MA marked brass plugs.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone!

So...are bakelite late WW2 or post-WW2?

MA stands for "Made in Australia" meaning Lithgow Small Arms factory and feeder factories. I have found the rare British made part also stamped MA.

OldSold, MA on a fluted! The horrors! Throw those away!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did a quick survey.

None of my brass plugs are MA, but a Bakelite is.

9C446EFD-0072-4B79-B903-990066B6A5AE.jpeg

Note the different shape of the brass plugs. Not the top one, I'm sure it's a repop. But the other two forms- one has rounded corners, the other sharp corners.

78B19610-3D16-432F-8C88-2CF698AA137D.jpeg

Two bakelite, one MA the other unmarked.

351ADBAF-2690-4E3F-B30B-BA449348EED8.jpeg

Three plugs, side view. Top is "MA". Bottom has a narrower brass core (unmarked).

2B290BA2-6195-49EF-B741-AE7BD30CE3EE.jpeg

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dammit, I told Nosferatu to check them all before uploading the photos and I re-installed them!

Yes, a brass MA42, but I can't upload....do we have a limit?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question on 1917a1 / 1928 / Vickers plug compatibility: unfortunately my 1928s are buried, so a simple question I could answer will take hours.

A search of internet photos showed 1917 (or 1928) guns with bakelite plugs (identical looking to Vickers), black bakelite (??), and brass.

Is the 1917a1 / 1928 plug compatible with / identical to the Vickers plugs? Differences?

Thanks, experts!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got '44 MA and '45 MA marked all brass Vickers plugs. Plus both dates in the combination of plug with chains and a stopper cork. Brought them in direct from OZ 20+ years ago so know for certain they aren't IMA copies (which they are good at doing).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Correct, if I’m not mistaken, Lithgow was the Australian Manufacturer. Aren’t all MA parts from Lithgow?
Lithgow had feeder factories in Bathurst, Orange and Dubbo. Many Vickers parts were made in various of those factories. The solid brass ones are later Production and the red fiber ones are of the earlier type. There were two rivet methods on the ones I’ve seen. One was brass washers with brass rod the other is copper rods. I will have about 30 to sell in the future as soon as I restore them correctly. The two on the right are an example of restored ones compared to origional.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts