1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got quite a little bit of once fired TW 45 headstamped .50 BMG brass. It's obviously originally loaded with corrosive primers. It's really nice brass and I want to reload it but how do I get the corrosive residue out of the brass? I'm guessing it was fired in the late '90s. I'm not looking for a "...don't worry and just reload it because the corrosive salts are gone after it's first fired..." answer because I know from experience (bad/expensive experience) that it just doesn't work that way. I considered resizing/decapping it and then washing it in a washing machine on hot with detergent but don't know how well that works (and don't let mama catch you doing that!!!) Maybe it is just not possible. Any ideas?

Thanks,

OREO

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Rinse them off with water if you want to be sure. Although I seriously doubt it is an issue after the brass has been tumbled.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
:firedevil: Dishwasher but mama catches you and :eek::eek: several competition shooters used this method Until they got caught :jedicrying::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: !

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
After 20 years , I would figure that the damage will have been done . I hate to through anything out , but due to the bad things that could happen if one of these would let go , I vote for scrapping them .
Dumping them in a bucket of water would have worked if it was done before you left the firing line .
Chris

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
OREO SEZ: ".... it was fired in the late '90s ...."

Any corrosive action would have already been accomplished. Tumbling and cleaning will only make them look nicer, so what you may have might be nice looking shells with some pitting or other weak spots. A good visual inspection might show defects -- or might not. I'd probably opt for scrap value, or just through (sic) it out.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts