1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a gun was properly timed and a piece of debris smaller than the maximum 0.120 timing gauge was lodged between the trunion and barrel extension, could this cause a oob kaboom? This would apply to semi auto and full auto for the first shot on Browning M2 and 1919A4. Is the .120 no fire timing gauge based on the inertia of the barrel, extension, and bolt slamming forward or would it also apply to the first shot with the reciprocating assembly idle? I have been doing lots of research for my semi M2 project and I keep pondering this situation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no timing setting on a semi-auto
Yeah my semi M2 doesn't have timing adjustment but I am curious what would happen if a piece of debris from a dirty belt or something smaller than .120 got caught between the barrel extension and trunion. Effectively holding the action open just a bit. Would firing the gun with a gap under .120 due to a piece of debris between the barrel extension and trunion cause a kaboom? I have not had this happen. It's just a what if out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Each gun is going to be just a little different, you would need to check 1) is the action locked 2) can the sear be released.
If the sear can be released in a unlocked condition it would be disastrous. You could check this by using a feeler gauge and checking 1) is the locking block locked and 2) will the trigger release the sear.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Each gun is going to be just a little different, you would need to check 1) is the action locked 2) can the sear be released.
If the sear can be released in a unlocked condition it would be disastrous. You could check this by using a feeler gauge and checking 1) is the locking block locked and 2) will the trigger release the sear.
That makes sense. I assume these Brownings would have a little wiggle room between the barrel extension and trunion to be able to "eat" a little dirt due to battlefield conditions that most beltfeds in this country would never be subjected to.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
II have fired conservatively 400,000 rds plus through 1919 type and M2 Machine guns. I have had some OObs with surplus 8mm, but never any issues with a gun firing 30 cal or 7.62. Even the Chilean "hot" (weak brass at the head of the case) ran like a top in the 1919s - I fired about 100,000 rds of that and at worst had split case head separations. Pretty small risk of that exactly .120 dirt spec not getting mashed . Wait until you get your finger in there sometime and the bolt lets got from locked back. You will understand..... o_O

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
II have fired conservatively 400,000 rds plus through 1919 type and M2 Machine guns. I have had some OObs with surplus 8mm, but never any issues with a gun firing 30 cal or 7.62. Even the Chilean "hot" (weak brass at the head of the case) ran like a top in the 1919s - I fired about 100,000 rds of that and at worst had split case head separations. Pretty small risk of that exactly .120 dirt spec not getting mashed . Wait until you get your finger in there sometime and the bolt lets got from locked back. You will understand..... o_O
Lol. Considering the 1919 bolt is basically a framing hammer and a m2 bolt is basically a sledgehammer I bet it would hurt some.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I like pictures. Everyone should post pics of uber strong dirt particles that can stop a Browning !! Back in the day when I was building 1919 Post sample MGs- test fire day. I still have several Posties - several that have well over 100,000 rds fired each. I know that because the 100s of thousands of rounds of ammo I had are gone......

Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle Bumper Rolling

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine gun Automotive exterior Road surface

Test fire of M3 Helo mounts for UAE contract
Plant Sky Tree Machine gun Automotive tire

OFASTS shoot - Brownings and "others"
Plant Shade Grass Gas Tree

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like pictures. Everyone should post pics of uber strong dirt particles that can stop a Browning !! Back in the day when I was building 1919 Post sample MGs- test fire day. I still have several Posties - several that have well over 100,000 rds fired each. I know that because the 100s of thousands of rounds of ammo I had are gone......

View attachment 108113

View attachment 108114

Test fire of M3 Helo mounts for UAE contract
View attachment 108115

OFASTS shoot - Brownings and "others"
View attachment 108116
That looks like so much fun!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.