1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of the 2 I know of, which is the preferred, the Emory or Ohio Black Sheep? What has anyone's experience been with either. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have an Emory that is a work of art! It is adjustable(you only adjust it once to fit the nuances of your gun) and very well built piece. It just attaches on with your pistol grip. PS I hope you have a lot of ammo as it will go fast using this device.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
I own both an Emory first gen and an OBS . Of the two i like the OBS even though you have to drill a 7/32" hole in bottom plate for the actuation pin .
The Ohio Black sheep is a very small form factor 3 lobe crank that clamps to the bottom plate out of the way and leaves the trigger totally un-obstructed for single fire ,i discovered that if i half the crank handle length (set screwed ) i can easily attain the same ROF as the 6 lobe Emory crank :tongue::tongue: But it has no safety like the Emory ,however it is out of the way and i have never had an ND with it :D!!
Because the OBS is so small most never notice it on the gun that is why it is big with the reenactors firing blanks . Only on close look can you see your gun has "Balls ":rofl: it is a stealth crank :cool: !

The Emory /Crankfire Systems clamps around the buffer tube and is rather large ,it does have single fire thumb toggle in later /current versions and has a safety ,you have to push in on the spring loaded crank handle to engage it .You can change sides of the crank handle R or L (OBS offers this with the ambi model ) . But it is Very apparent you have one mounted on your gun :confused: !! It changes the appearance of your gun noticeable .

Both work well ,the most fun you can have with your clothes on and no tax stamp !!
Both are made of steel while the lessor known ones like the Weasel Winder (Egay or www.weaselwinder.com/) contain a lot of plastic so durability is a consideration ! I do like the attachment method ,uses the LSP sight bracket screw holes but it is a left hand only design along with the cog being Delrin Plastic !

Of course i am old enough to remember the Whamer Hammer crank from decades ago :( .

P.S. One member used the OBS drill jig to make a pod adapter for a non 1919 compatible pod :cool: !!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks to Belt Fed Frog for his fine clarification of the differences between the Crankfire Systems design and the ohioblacksheep model. Both cranks offer the same fun for the 1919 shooter, but are by intent very different designs. The Crankfire was deliberately intended to mimic the profile of the 1919 receiver, while the OBS crank is deliberately smaller in profile. Depending on the tastes of the shooter, certainly one system or the other will be the appropriate choice. While only the economy "CR" model of Crankfire is currently being produced- those were the only parts remaining when the product and patent were acquired- samples of the earlier Crankfire models have been acquired as reference samples for study. The spring-tension crank handle/safety feature was deleted by the inventor for the CR model, so that does not appear on what we currently offer. It its place is a simple ambidextrous design that makes switching sides as easy as loosening a cap screw on the handle's shaft collar, swapping sides and tightening the screw again. The sprung assembly was a bit more complicated to switch sides with, but even that takes only a couple of minutes. One feature that remains is the natural, built-in rotation of the cam roller out of direct engagement. The crank does need to be rotated slightly to re-engage and, while we don't consider this a "safety" mechanism per se, it does make it very difficult to fire the gun by bumping the crank handle.

One thing we are looking at is reintroducing the spring handle feature in a way that is easily adaptable to the CR model as is, rather than adopting the exact specs used in the past. That means we have to be a bit creative, but we are determined folk here, with only time to devote to such things in short supply. We are pricing out the special components for the Spade Grip model as well, but that's not going to hit until sometime in the new year. Meanwhile, we are happy to see the OBS product in the market as an alternative to the Crankfire Systems product. Choice is a good thing for the marketplace. We do own the Crankfire Patent, and if someone were to directly copy and infringe on that, we would take that seriously. But this is absolutely not an issue with the OBS crank, and we believe that Mr. Lou Murtha is a tremendous asset to the Browning world. Crankfire Systems fully supports his efforts, and anyone who purchases his crank will find it a very well made, and highly functional accessory. Whichever product you choose, you can't go wrong.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Crankfire-Systems,
Agreed both are fine cranks ,well engineered and constructed ,each has it`s own niche for the crank connoisseur and both are worth every penny of the cost being all steel construction !

Both are quite efficient at draining your ammo :cashwallet: :D:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: !

There is only one thing you can do with an OBS crank you can not do with an Emory/Crankfire Systems 1919A4 crank this Auto part Engine Machine Pipe Automotive engine part done over a decade ago by Lobo`s Landing a founding member of this forum .He made the bracket and had Lou make a special long actuating pin for the first 50 BMG crank :cool: . The end of the pin had a rubber boot that contacted the butterfly trigger so no scratches .

The MOAT and Emory 50 cal cranks came later and are limited production number ,that sell for a very high price Emory $1800 last sale and $2800 for an MOAT and i own one of each :tongue::tongue::tongue: !! Maybe someday Crankfire Systems will restart 50 cal crank production but it is a long shot . No one else can produce an MOAT even though the prints are available from our forum owner because of the generosity of Ryland Fleet and the extreme aerospace tolerances it was manufactured to and patent issues with Crankfire Systems patent !!! As a one off an all but impossible task for even the most accomplished machinists .......

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks to Belt Fed Frog for his fine clarification of the differences between the Crankfire Systems design and the ohioblacksheep model. Both cranks offer the same fun for the 1919 shooter, but are by intent very different designs. The Crankfire was deliberately intended to mimic the profile of the 1919 receiver, while the OBS crank is deliberately smaller in profile. Depending on the tastes of the shooter, certainly one system or the other will be the appropriate choice. While only the economy "CR" model of Crankfire is currently being produced- those were the only parts remaining when the product and patent were acquired- samples of the earlier Crankfire models have been acquired as reference samples for study. The spring-tension crank handle/safety feature was deleted by the inventor for the CR model, so that does not appear on what we currently offer. It its place is a simple ambidextrous design that makes switching sides as easy as loosening a cap screw on the handle's shaft collar, swapping sides and tightening the screw again. The sprung assembly was a bit more complicated to switch sides with, but even that takes only a couple of minutes. One feature that remains is the natural, built-in rotation of the cam roller out of direct engagement. The crank does need to be rotated slightly to re-engage and, while we don't consider this a "safety" mechanism per se, it does make it very difficult to fire the gun by bumping the crank handle.

One thing we are looking at is reintroducing the spring handle feature in a way that is easily adaptable to the CR model as is, rather than adopting the exact specs used in the past. That means we have to be a bit creative, but we are determined folk here, with only time to devote to such things in short supply. We are pricing out the special components for the Spade Grip model as well, but that's not going to hit until sometime in the new year. Meanwhile, we are happy to see the OBS product in the market as an alternative to the Crankfire Systems product. Choice is a good thing for the marketplace. We do own the Crankfire Patent, and if someone were to directly copy and infringe on that, we would take that seriously. But this is absolutely not an issue with the OBS crank, and we believe that Mr. Lou Murtha is a tremendous asset to the Browning world. Crankfire Systems fully supports his efforts, and anyone who purchases his crank will find it a very well made, and highly functional accessory. Whichever product you choose, you can't go wrong.
This is the best response that Ive ever read on a forum, this coming from a competitor in a highly niche market with a low profit margin. He could have bad mouthed his competitor, touted his design as the best, and attempted to sway opinions. I was actually leaning toward OBS, this professional response has almost swayed me to the crank fire. Well done sir!!!!!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
usmc, Yes sir ! i know both of the crank guys and they are both very professional people. our goverment should take notice !, both produce excellent products, i know because i have sold many of cranks from both makers along with other products from both producers. all top notch and both have a kinda no BS policy about warranty and repairs .

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
usmc1488 SEZ: This is the best response that Ive ever read on a forum, this coming from a competitor in a highly niche market with a low profit margin. He could have bad mouthed his competitor, touted his design as the best, and attempted to sway opinions.... "

Plus One for this comment.
Well done, gentlemen!

It seems this board has many of the finest, most generous, most ethical participants of any enterprise ever, anywhere. I can only say I am most grateful to personally know some of these fine folks and consider them friends and associates,and though I have met some of them only online also consider them also as friends, associates and confederates.

Thanks, guys -- and a gal or so.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Normaly I don't like to make comments on these types of treads, but figured this time I would..

Crankfire-Systems and I are Good Friends and we both Enjoy provideing Folks folks with Good Products... It won't bother either one of us which Crank you choose... If we can help you Dispose of ALL your Ammo with a Smile, We will be Happy we've done our Part!!! :lol::lol:....Lou

·
Registered
3 Posts
Crank for 1919

Hi, I was curious if you fellows had any passing thoughts regarding 1919 cranks? There seems to be a few out there. I am leaning towards the black sheep.

Thank you,

kevin

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi, I was curious if you fellows had any passing thoughts regarding 1919 cranks? There seems to be a few out there. I am leaning towards the black sheep.

Thank you,

kevin
Not much to say, both systems available are highly effective at allowing your 1919 to make a lot of noise in a short order of time. Im leaning toward the obs as it is more of a low profile design albeit one that require a tiny hole to be drilled in the bottom plate. Once I get my refund Im getting the OBS.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I own both an Emory first gen and an OBS . Of the two i like the OBS even though you have to drill a 7/32" hole in bottom plate for the actuation pin .
The Ohio Black sheep is a very small form factor 3 lobe crank that clamps to the bottom plate out of the way and leaves the trigger totally un-obstructed for single fire ,i discovered that if i half the crank handle length (set screwed ) i can easily attain the same ROF as the 6 lobe Emory crank :tongue::tongue: But it has no safety like the Emory ,however it is out of the way and i have never had an ND with it :D!!
Because the OBS is so small most never notice it on the gun that is why it is big with the reenactors firing blanks . Only on close look can you see your gun has "Balls ":rofl: it is a stealth crank :cool: !

The Emory /Crankfire Systems clamps around the buffer tube and is rather large ,it does have single fire thumb toggle in later /current versions and has a safety ,you have to push in on the spring loaded crank handle to engage it .You can change sides of the crank handle R or L (OBS offers this with the ambi model ) . But it is Very apparent you have one mounted on your gun :confused: !! It changes the appearance of your gun noticeable .

Both work well ,the most fun you can have with your clothes on and no tax stamp !!
Both are made of steel while the lessor known ones like the Weasel Winder (Egay or www.weaselwinder.com/) contain a lot of plastic so durability is a consideration ! I do like the attachment method ,uses the LSP sight bracket screw holes but it is a left hand only design along with the cog being Delrin Plastic !

Of course i am old enough to remember the Whamer Hammer crank from decades ago :( .

P.S. One member used the OBS drill jig to make a pod adapter for a non 1919 compatible pod :cool: !!

Quoted for future reference :D

I was set on the Emory because thats the one people seem to talk about the most...and while it seems to be a fantastic unit I did not like the way it looked on the gun.
I found out about the OBS Crank and think thats the one for me. More compact and while "slower", less likely to over run the gun. I think I'll be ordering an OBS unit shortly. Good thread fellas.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
adamsredlines,
Great Googly Moogly dude you are going whole hog :rofl: I am Very afraid you have been infected with the 1919 virus :tongue: sadly it is incurable and only gets Worse :rofl::rofl:

and you have not even fired the first shot out of it :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Muw HA HA HA HA hahahahahahaha !!! Go forth and spread it every where you go :firedevil:

·
Registered
363 Posts
:lol: :help:

I know man, its bad. I've been sitting here watching football with the 1919 on the coffee table in front of me, surfing the forum trying to learn a bit more. I sent OBS an email but wont purchase one until after I get to the range on Tuesday.
I'm gonna try to be reasonable and only take about 50 rounds linked with me to test functionality....then will clean it up and go buy more ammo :D
2nd range day will include a crank, lots of ammo and even more smiles.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Oh I have more links. I have a 250 round loaded up, 3 short ones for testing and another 700 in the box.
I need a linker first...this blister makes doing it by hand uncomfortable.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
They are for linked ammo and not expensive ,they are modern M240 digiflauge assault pouches , I am working on making a Predator pack with the 3 i own and the 3' of 7.62 feed chute and 1919 feed adapter i picked up years ago .

I just happen to have a spare linker made by Val at E&L manufacturing(Laminatrap) buried some where one like it sold in the last two weeks here .....http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?56249-WTB-308-Linker-(-1919a4-)/page2&highlight=linker post #12

·
Registered
363 Posts
I misunderstood, I thought they were 250 round belts with pouches...they're an ammo holder to hold long ammo links?

I sent you a PM on the link loader...ya know, since I'm going whole hog and all :eek:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Without trying to take the thread in another direction, I will point out that these "crank/ trigger activated" devices are not legal in MN. Just so folks stay between the lines..... same applies to those 10/22 dual gun crankie things. this was Minn.s contribution back in the assault weapon ban days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts