1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually drive the half-track into town for the 4th of July parade but wednesday I went out to pull it out and I couldn't get it to run, last month when I took it to the car show I had trouble with those cheap electric fuel pumps so I went out into the bone yard and pulled one off of my old yard truck, it was one of them old vibrating types, about the size of a pop can, but they ran for ever,I knew this one was still working and it worked great getting the half-track going, I drove it around the fields to make sure it would get up on the trailer and into the show,I even put some fuel stabilizer in it because the gas tank has lost it's lining and rust up real bad if it's just this garbage gas, then this last week I tried to get it running and I could barely get it out of the shed, I could hear the pump going so I started pulling hoses and filters, blew every thing out but still couldn't gas to the engine, I figured it might have gotten something under one of the valves, so I pulled the top off the pump and sure enough there was some nasty black gunk stuck under a valve,I cleaned it all out and tried again,still nothing, so I went down to the diaphragm level of the pump and I found out where the black gunk came from, the diaphragm had turn back to crude oil, it was total mush! And of course you can't buy rebuild kits for those great old pumps anymore, they probably got tired of trying to keep up with all the gas formula changes. I was talking to a friend that runs a shop and he has so much trouble trying to keep the old timers running, even cars only ten years old are having problems with fuel lines and injectors, but I'm sure this is all for our own good!

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I've spent Hundreds trying to combat this problem....errrrr F&$k

On the 2 stroke stuff.. I buy Stihl..pre-bottled gas...has Non ethanol gas W/stabil....Not cheap but has worked.
Tossed 2 saws and a blower in the scrap bin cause dealer will only do a carb replacement vs. a cleaning
due to the issues of crap gas.

Find a station with NON ethanol premium..treat with stabil...hope for the best.

Used to leave system full of gas.............

Have reverted to ..shut gas off and run till it dies.

Bad either way..but whaTF are we supposed to do?

I can't afford to convert everything to Diesel Damit.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
my push mower is on it's last leg from this ****, I took it completely apart and made it squeaky clean,replaced the usual parts that wear out and it still sounds like **** with no power.

when i opened up the piston/head was completely baked with carbon that needed cleaned out by chipping at it with a screwdriver/hammer. got 3 summers out of it. :mad:

Im glad that things like the snowblower have the gas cut-off, 2-stage engines really hate this ethanol bullshit.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I've heard AVGAS don't have that chit in it. Got a nearby airport?
If you cheat and put an electric aftermarket pump on it, place it as close as you can to the fuel tank. They push much stronger than they are able to pull. I kept going through OEM mechanical pumps in my old Ford work van. Like three?
Burned up at least four electrics before I finally gave up on the old girl. It was from the ethanol rotting the insides of the tanks, or loosening rust and letting it into the lines. Gasoline does not absorb water. Ethanol does. Water in the tanks causes rust. Just WTF did they think was gonna happen??

The dildos that started this on a nationwide basis should have their balls stapled to a stump at a carnival next to the dart throwing booth.:mad::mad::mad:

You don't wanna hear this after that tirade, but a gallon of 99% Isopropyl alcohol is about 20 bucks at a hardware store. Way cheaper than buying those tiny bottles at three bucks a throw. A pint added to a tank of gas will absorb an obscene amount of condensation or vengeful neighbor urine so it can be safely burned in the engine. MUCH cheaper than those tiny containers of Heet or whatever.
Also makes the best shell case lube for sizing when mixed with Lanolin. Sorry to punch a hole in anyone's boat, but it was WAY better than any other lube including that Redding imperial wax.
I managed to get one more case stuck with Redding. Made a batch of alcohol/lanolin and never looked back. It's like comparing a dirty sock to a successful date. ;)
:rofl:

·
Registered
391 Posts
make sure the { fuel stabilizer } SAYS for Ethanol not the old red stuff

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I think you'll find the alcohol bought at the hardware store is a mixture of methanol/ethanol, and there're no good reason it should cost $20, other than profit mark-up. It is poisonous, but can be used to cut water in your gasoline. Ethanol cannot be concentrated by ordinary distillation to a ratio of ethanol to water greater than about 96 to 4 by weight, and the highest concentration of ethanol generally available for human consumption is 190 proof Everclear, which is 95% alcohol by volume. Again it is much more expensive that the production cost warrants.

Yes, they have E0 gasoline at airports, because we don't want airplanes falling out of the sky due to water in the gasoline, and at marinas, due to the proximity to water and subsequent absorption -- HOWEVER, they generally will not fill an auto fuel tank because the local, state and FEDERAL road, excise and sales taxes have not been paid on it. One can, of course, take your six-gallon (legally the maximum) outboard motor fuel tank and have it filled and then transfer it illegally any way one wants.

The other alternative is go to a website such as http://pure-gas.org/ to find if 100%, no ethanol E0 gasoline is available in your area. Many of the places sell only for off-road (farm) aviation and marine use though.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
512 Posts
Bob,
Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth, MA (781) 335-8860 can sell you a kit for your HT fuel pump or they will rebuild it for you using new mfg parts so the new gas won't eat it.

Steve

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gas

I've always been afraid to buy a NOS pump kit for it because I figured the gas would eat it anyhow,I'll have to call those guys and see what they get for a kit,thanks.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
putting new gasket in the mower today since it got opened up for cleaning. really hoping this works or I'll be draining it out and taking it to the range for reeducation. :mad:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Believe it or not, here in sunny California, home of the fruits and nuts, the local Napa auto parts sells Sunoco Standard. 110 octane, LEADED, race gas. They sell unleaded flavors too. You have to sign a form saying it's for racing / offroad use. I can get it from the pump at Ramos oil, for you local boys reading. They sell unleaded race gas from the pump at a local gas station too. It's very pricy compared to the CA mandated E15 pump gas but I get first kick, first pull, first turn-over results from all the lawn tractor, lawn mowers, weed eaters, leaf blowers, leaf shredder, roto-tiller, chainsaws, dirt bikes I own. If I'm running them for a spell, then I'll switch to pump gas for economy, but it goes into storage with race gas. The E15 gas takes care of the water in the system, but it's a solvent and is hard on things, especially older parts not designed for it. (chainsaw 'clunk tank' fuel lines come to mind).

A likely over the top solution to keeping vintage heavy military stuff running, but sure saves on aggravation on small engine maintenance and reliability.

It's ironic that we are death on auto emissions but the lowly Cessna is running straight pipes and leaded gas and nobody thinks much of it although a while back there was a movement afoot in the LA basin to outlaw BBQ charcoal lighter fluid due to the emissions. Dunno what the plan was for the big birds at LAX, but the public outcry nixed that do-good'r idea.

Best of luck on the replacement parts. Sad to see such a stoic piece of history cut down by such a trivial thing.

B-D

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I live in an area that supports a lot of boating. Because of that, we have several stations that that sell 100% gasoline. Everything I own that isn't run weekly is fueled exclusively with that. I learned about ethanol in gas back in the mid-80's when the stuff melted the fuel pump in my 85 Jetta.

It's just another case of a government mandated program that serves absolutely no purpose but to line the pockets of special interest groups. MSG

·
Registered
233 Posts
Been around racing my entire life, I learned early on the difference between gas and alcohol.

Never did much care for a mixture of the two. Too many issues and inconsistencies. I have worked on a lot of newer cars that have gone to E-85 as cheap race gas. Problem with that is it in no way shape or form consistent out of the pump. Alcohol isn't a terrible deal overall but the majority of fuel systems aren't built to handle it. My old N/A Datsun loves ethanol but the turboed one wont run right and they are the same engine, boosted is EFI, N/A is factory sidedrafts.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Soooo.....you pulled an old, used pump from a truck that had been sitting for dog knows how long.....and after a week of running out of a gas tank that you yourself said was full of rust and crap.....and then the diaphragm goes to mush? Whats the chances it was already on the way out and all the other contaminates just aggravated the problem?

Hot rods are my passion as well, Ive got a 81 Vette with a 468 in it, and I avoid the ethanol gas as well.....because long term exposure has been known to eat away at some of the zinc and aluminum parts.....but Ive never heard of ethanol gas ruining anything in a weeks time.

Regardless, I feel your pain. At 6 MPG, the 91 Octane ethanol free stuff I buy up here in NY runs me about 3.50 a gallon.

Good luck with the half track!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
www.fuel-testers.com is another site that will locate pure gas dealers wherever you live. Lots of help there. I have had to use pure gas for my chain saw since about 2000 when the whole fuel system just rotted away due to EtOH. Damn that stuff.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gas

My nearest source for real gas is an hour and a half away, otherwise I would use it, the extra cost would be worth not dealing with rusty tanks and rotten rubber!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Belt driven SEZ: ".... Dunno what the plan was for the big birds at LAX ...."

United has invested $50M in a biofuel company and plans LAX - SFO and return 5 or 6 times a day this summer.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Shoutbox Messer Upper
2,308 Posts
Ethanol free is the way to go,.. I got one generator that I just bought a carb for, rust on the inside and rubber around the jets that is rotten, and I have another generator waiting to get on the bench for the same treatment.

The Truck gets $hitloads of Lucas fuel injector cleaner now, too (and ethanol free fuel). I see more and more stations selling it now.

I especially use it in some of the lawn equipment also since some of it doesn't get used as much,..

Send the stuff to DC, they need our problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have one station out here that sells it, that I know sells to auto's.

I was laughed at for spending so much per gallon on a tank. However I did notice I got an extra 40-60 miles out of that tank of gas, and had more power. Car ran smoother as well.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
We filled up in Dolly Parton's hometown and got better than 10% more mpg on the way home. I guess that's just the way they do it there -- bigger and better! :rolleyes:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
We have one station out here that sells it, that I know sells to auto's.

I was laughed at for spending so much per gallon on a tank. However I did notice I got an extra 40-60 miles out of that tank of gas, and had more power. Car ran smoother as well.
There's one in Gresham at the corner of Powell and Burnside. Can't recall the name.
Another just past Sandy, called Shorty's Corner on Hwy, 26.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts