1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Guys, learning to reload is the way to go. I have been reloading for nearly 40 years and have yet to be caught short of ammunition due to pre-election buying frenzies.
Whether you reload or not stockpiling is the only real option. It doesn’t matter if you stockpile components or live ammo. You just need to buy when prices are low.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I may have to check local prices today, I have been reloading for so long I have no idea what the current prices are. Last time I checked I had about 24,000 rounds of 9mm alone on hand.
Your rich! Great investment. Unload it now. I think the prices have to come back down eventually.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think Kirby is right. I haven't reloaded for about 20years, time and the cost of Surplus ammo it didn't make since. Times are changing. Time to clean up the loading bench and dig out the components. I bought a dillon 650 at the Big Sandy 2 years ago, I guess it's time to set it up and learn to use it.
Greg :cool:

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I bought a dillon 650 at the Big Sandy 2 years ago, I guess it's time to set it up and learn to use it.
Greg :cool:
Great machine, you will love it once you put it in service. Very easy to drop 500 rounds in an hour with.

I still maintain a Dillon 550 for calibers I do not reload in large quantities.

·
Registered
991 Posts
20 years ago I was on grave yard shift and I would come home and reload it was a great way to unwind after working all night, kids at school wife at work

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have an Uzi of my own plus a couple of Sten guns I enjoy shooting, just a matter of finding time to go to the range these days.
Boy isn’t that the truth. My backyard is a 200 yard range. I just don’t have the time or a interest in wasting ammo now days.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I only own 3 or 4 hunting rifles. ( I havnt had a place to hunt in almost 15 years.) Last week I managed to get into a small land lease and dusted off my 30/30 and my 270. I went to the ammo cans and OHH NOOOO!!! ARE YOU KIDDING!!! I only have 20 rounds of 30/30 and 6 rounds of 270. (Mind you Im stacked deep in all my military calibers). I went online shopping tonight, expecting the worst. 270 is still available in a few spots but 30/30 is sold out everywhere. Everywhere. I thought people were only buying tactical calibers and common stuff. I never thought the fuddy duddy 30/30 crowd would be hoarding too!!!
Man, now Im going to have to search the entire internet for 40 rounds of of 30/30 and 270. (Neither guns have been sighted in, in almost 10 years)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I load 30/30 but I always forget to buy 30/30 projectiles ...So, I have been using M2 or M80 projectiles to load but can only shoot one at a time....Thought about grinding the tips off but never get around to it.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Boy isn’t that the truth. My backyard is a 200 yard range. I just don’t have the time or a interest in wasting ammo now days.
When I was shooting three USPSA matches per month in addition to practice it was easy to go through 800-1000 a month just shooting pistols but due to an injury a few years ago I cut back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You haven't figured it out yet it is way to late to "get into" reloading. Unless you have stocked up on primers and bullets they are like ammo, not to be found unless you are willing to pay 5x original cost.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
You haven't figured it out yet it is way to late to "get into" reloading. Unless you have stocked up on primers and bullets they are like ammo, not to be found unless you are willing to pay 5x original cost.
No, its not 'too late'. But now is not the time to be looking for components. Most of us will ride this current panic out. Reloading components will start to appear back on shelves in a few months. We went thru this already with the great Obama panic a few years back. Ammo dried up, primers where nowhere to be found. This current rage is much worse, but eventually Johnny Paranoid and Steve Skyisfalling will get tired of hoarding guns and ammo and will go back to spending their money on Jeep lift kits, motorcycles and snowmobiles.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I agree with Scott...Don't panic , this will pass...Let it be a learning lesson ....I got lazy many years ago when times got hard for ammo , and refused to buy at high prices...So I took a brake on shooting anything...When things got back to normal I spent till it hurt...I never passed a gunshop without buying a box of primers or a few pounds of powder...I would buy bulk projectiles 2 to 5k at a time...It did not matter if I needed it or not...I never missed the chance to pickup brass at the range and what I could not use I sold or scrapped and used that money to buy more of what I did use...My shooting has slowed to a crawl over the past few years but I still bought like I was shooting in the past...When this latest shortage popped up I decided to take stock in what I had on hand...Wow , it's amazing how much I collected over the years , once you get it in all one spot...Not to mention the stuff you forgot you had and bought more of....At the current rate I shoot right now , I have enough Primers / powder / projectiles / brass , on hand to last me many years of shooting...Not to mention all of the milsup ammo I saves from only shooting my reloads.

·
11,444 Posts
gunner always gets brass from our shoots. i loathe reloading so hes welcome to it.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Oh joy of joys! I found 2 boxes of 30-30 at Wallyworld tonight! Im going to keep one box and sell the other on gunbroker for 25 bucks a round. I figure by the end of October, .22 will be a buck each.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No, its not 'too late'. But now is not the time to be looking for components. Most of us will ride this current panic out. Reloading components will start to appear back on shelves in a few months. We went thru this already with the great Obama panic a few years back. Ammo dried up, primers where nowhere to be found. This current rage is much worse, but eventually Johnny Paranoid and Steve Skyisfalling will get tired of hoarding guns and ammo and will go back to spending their money on Jeep lift kits, motorcycles and snowmobiles.
ScottD that post was right on the money and the last part had me laughing my ass off!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts