1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mess of 50 brass and finally started processing it for reloading. I have a few hundred cases completely prepped. Tomorrow night ill be priming them all, then the next night loading some ladder loads. I know in bolt guns crimping is not needed. Ill be running them in a post sample [email protected] and Dshk. Im assuming i need to crimp but figured id ask.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll crimp them all with a HEAVY crimp because I never know which I'll be shooting them out of also, I find that the tracers light more consistently when I use a heavier crimp. Just my .02.

Frank in GA.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Absolutely crimp!! And make sure every one is properly crimped if any are to be shot in FA guns. The momentum of chambering the round in an MG can force a poorly or not crimped bullet forward in the neck and create a detonation. In a fifty this can be extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I just recently started to get into reloading. I have not been able to find 150 grain bullets with the crimp groove in the correct location to load 30-06. They would end up way too short to run in a 30 BMG. Does anyone know of a souce for something I could use? Thanks, dan

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just recently started to get into reloading. I have not been able to find 150 grain bullets with the crimp groove in the correct location to load 30-06. They would end up way too short to run in a 30 BMG. Does anyone know of a souce for something I could use? Thanks, dan
That "crimp groove" is called a cannelure.;)

If you can't find a source of .06 bullets than maybe buy these and buy a cannelure tool and roll your own.

http://polygunbag.com/.30Cal.174GrainLakeCityBulletsLargerView.html

They're a bit heavier but for 1919 fodder they'd work just fine.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
the bullets you need are the "M1" type, 150 gr not the 147 gr for the 308 / 7.62 .. You can load them set out for the 30-06, ( correct OAL) or get the original M1 type bullets. If you are goingto run them in a 1919, OAL is critical. If in a garand it is not as big a deal.....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes I want to load for 1917a1 belt fed. I have loaded for the garand but to get the OAL for the belt fed is where i have the issue with finding proper bullets to use. Thanks for the information!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts