1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to sell or trade my 1917a1 conversion time period semi auto with tripod what would the package be worth? I haven’t kept up on values as of late. It has Remington Parts including front end, top cover and the majority of intact internals. Didn’t want to cut the early stuff but it has an in the white BA bolt and RIA internals cut for semi. KMP clone. MP bottom plate, early beer can flash hider, RIA bbl, early ww1 bbl, and ww1 left side plate with no 1919 sight bracket holes. LHSP might have been used overseas with some other caliber because of the feed pawl bracket mods. Good shooter.
Tripod has the early hump and is uncut. Cradle uncut and has the gas bottle knobs. Looking to fund an m2 half track or m29 weasel project so hopefully it’s worth more than I have into it lol. Weapon not fully assembled in pics.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Very nice gun. Goes to say how bad you want to sell it and what the market will bear. Tripod is worth easy $2000 maybe more and gun somewhere around $5000 so $7000 for the set maybe more. Just my opinion I'm sure we will get some more knowledgeable people to chime in.
Greg

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
$4K-$5K for the tripod.

$4.5K-$7K for the gun.

Do you have a picture of the tripod cradle removed from the tripod base? If it has worm gear teeth in it... I'd raise my estimate on the tripod even higher.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Tripod: 1. Hump. 2. Gas bottle knobs 3. Brass pintle socket. 4. Un-cut

I could be wrong. Let's see what some more senior guys think.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Tripod: 1. Hump. 2. Gas bottle knobs 3. Brass pintle socket. 4. Un-cut

I could be wrong. Let's see what some more senior guys think.
I'm interested figured it would be worth more but didn't realize that much more. Definitely a nice set up would love to have it.

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
I would say 3500 for the tripod all day long and 6000-6500 for the gun since it has a real Remington water jacket on it, those are VERY hard to find on the loose.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
$4K-$5K for the tripod.

$4.5K-$7K for the gun.

Do you have a picture of the tripod cradle removed from the tripod base? If it has worm gear teeth in it... I'd raise my estimate on the tripod even higher.
I've never heard of an A1 cradle having worm gear teeth. Have you seen one like that? I assume you mean on the pintle, like the 1917 cradle?

_IMG_20151007_132758.jpg

And I agree with toolman on the value of the Remington jacket. That's like unobtainium right there. You don't find military jackets anymore.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I've never heard of an A1 cradle having worm gear teeth. Have you seen one like that? I assume you mean on the pintle, like the 1917 cradle?

View attachment 100262

And I agree with toolman on the value of the Remington jacket. That's like unobtainium right there. You don't find military jackets anymore.
Yes, that's what I meant. Cradle pintle.

Do you have a picture of the entire cradle?

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Yes, that's what I meant. Cradle pintle.

Do you have a picture of the entire cradle?
Not separate from the lower. Didn't think to take that shot. But I'll e-mail you pics so we don't get Porter's thread further into the weeds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thats gorgeous! Being a big green employee sure would be nice to have a piece of history

Reactions: porteroden

·
Registered
833 Posts
Beautiful gun... That Remy jacket would go beautiful on the Remington 1917A1 that Lucky#13 just put together for me. (Sadly on a Colt Argentine water jacket because that's all i could get...) Not to further derail this thread, but what's the deal with the painted numbers on the sides? I've seen them on a few pictures of 1917's and wondered, but can't find any info on it.

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
Beautiful gun... That Remy jacket would go beautiful on the Remington 1917A1 that Lucky#13 just put together for me. (Sadly on a Colt Argentine water jacket because that's all i could get...) Not to further derail this thread, but what's the deal with the painted numbers on the sides? I've seen them on a few pictures of 1917's and wondered, but can't find any info on it.
Those were unit markings and I will let Porter chime in to the back story on this one because it has some meaning behind it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Ok. We're they marked for each platoon I wonder? Interesting...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$4K-$5K for the tripod.

$4.5K-$7K for the gun.

The cradle is 17a1, the tripod socket is ww1. I do not know how the forks would compare. Mine has what looks to be engine freeze plugs covering the hump openings.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Unit number, 4 was stamped bottom of trunnion and another example I had used a different number. Probably was done so you could see it easier when having to pick it out. Matches unit number on my gpw. My gpw has 1st army 16th infantry markings as a tribute to my grandfather. He piloted landing craft with them on Omaha beach, had his boat badly damaged by 88 fire and returned @noon piloting the larger tank and small vehicle landing craft. Iirc he said 4 Sherman tanks fit on it and two other vehicles. My uncle has photos of him that day but they are in bad shape. Looked like a cluster

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
Why I do it to you all the time:)
Well, let's just say that it does happen around here frequently, lol. Not that we were totally off topic.

The cradle is 17a1, the tripod socket is ww1. I do not know how the forks would compare. Mine has what looks to be engine freeze plugs covering the hump openings.
I've seen three variations when the worm gear mechanism is gone. I have one socket that had a through bolt with combo metal/rubber seal washers on each end. Same function as what yours has, filling an open cavity. That suggests to me that these once had the worm gear and it was removed. Maybe. But the socket that was on my 1917 tripod looks like it was done after they had stopped putting the worm gear in. It gets a bit confusing, but from reading Dolf's report on the 1917 pod, I believe they were still in production when the worm gear was eliminated. So my impression is that some sockets have the main cavity cast in, but the machine work on both ends was not finished since they were not installing the complex little bugger.

First pic is the socket that had the bolt and sealing washers. Next two pics are on the complete 1917 pod. Well, complete other than never having had the worm gear. Sorry for the different shades of green, but those were taken at different times, different lighting etc. Same socket thought.

20150810_194621.jpg Worm Gear Cover 1.jpg Worm Gear Cover 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts