1919 A4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hmmmm. I have a weasel that runs but needs to be restored and you have a 1917a1 that maybe should be in my safe???
Steve

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
The cradle is 17a1, the tripod socket is ww1. I do not know how the forks would compare. Mine has what looks to be engine freeze plugs covering the hump openings.
Thanks! Can you show us a picture of the ID tag on the rear leg of the tripod? I'm curious...

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Hmmmm. I have a weasel that runs but needs to be restored and you have a 1917a1 that maybe should be in my safe???
Steve
That gun is a beauty Steve and had I known he was going to trade it I certainly would have traded my Weasel for it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Well I’m off to look at a couple half track projects over the weekend and will be bringing #4 with me. Between the 2 I might be able to make 1. No tracks so I’m a little concerned because I cannot find as source. If you no of a source give me a shout

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Been a bit but someone had been making new ones a few years back, prior to that it was finding French made ones from 1970

Reactions: porteroden

·
Registered
501 Posts
Kevin Lockwood in Kansas sells new tracks for halftracks. Last I heard a set is around $8000. Halftracks are a lot of fun, but the are big, heavy, and expensive to restore.

Steve

·
Registered
501 Posts
Well I’m off to look at a couple half track projects over the weekend and will be bringing #4 with me. Between the 2 I might be able to make 1. No tracks so I’m a little concerned because I cannot find as source. If you no of a source give me a shout 3038171432
If you are interested in trading for a weasel let me know. Mine runs and drives and has a set of original tracks on it.
Steve

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well I’m off to look at a couple half track projects over the weekend and will be bringing #4 with me. Between the 2 I might be able to make 1. No tracks so I’m a little concerned because I cannot find as source. If you no of a source give me a shout 3038171432
I have owned a couple half tracks and also a weasel years back. Tracks for either are insanely priced now. They were super cool but I lost interest quickly because of the money you end up in them and how little you get to use them. Half tracks are way underpowered and not really fun to drive on a road. Weasel is strictly dirt/snow. I always tell people if you cant move them and work on them yourself dont bother. I actually worked backwards and ended up with a jeep last and still have it and use it quite often. Think long and hard before you sell stuff off to buy either like I did. There are also parts for both vehicles that are pretty much gone if you need replacements. My advise is buy one already restored or close to it with replaced tracks. You may buy a project and never be able to finish it due to missing parts or having to pay a fortune for them. FWIW...dan

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have owned a couple half tracks and also a weasel years back. Tracks for either are insanely priced now. They were super cool but I lost interest quickly because of the money you end up in them and how little you get to use them. Half tracks are way underpowered and not really fun to drive on a road. Weasel is strictly dirt/snow. I always tell people if you cant move them and work on them yourself dont bother. I actually worked backwards and ended up with a jeep last and still have it and use it quite often. Think long and hard before you sell stuff off to buy either like I did. There are also parts for both vehicles that are pretty much gone if you need replacements. My advise is buy one already restored or close to it with replaced tracks. You may buy a project and never be able to finish it due to missing parts or having to pay a fortune for them. FWIW...dan
Dan you bring up some very good points. I met with the fellow today and he is very honest about what is needed to complete the half-tracks. He has 2 very restorable units with little to no rust issues in my opinion. I did call a parts vendor the other day and we discussed what to look for and he gave me some prices for nos and new made parts. Yes indeed, the parts are expensive but reasonable for what you’re really getting for your money. The main thing is they are still available. The seller spent a fair amount of time with me and answered all my questions and I’m very grateful of that. As you mentioned I have no means to move them about my property to work on them. They are very impressive to say the least and he should have no problems selling them if he decides to do that. I don’t think I’d get sick of them, really, but not being able to move them nor store them inside I had to pass for the time being.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
Porter, it is common to find the legs got swapped during service history, even when you have the early, hump socket. It would originally have had one of the WWI mfgs, and probably the plate screwed on rather than riveted. Those are more rare than the sockets, in my experience.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Dan you bring up some very good points. I met with the fellow today and he is very honest about what is needed to complete the half-tracks. He has 2 very restorable units with little to no rust issues in my opinion. I did call a parts vendor the other day and we discussed what to look for and he gave me some prices for nos and new made parts. Yes indeed, the parts are expensive but reasonable for what you’re really getting for your money. The main thing is they are still available. The seller spent a fair amount of time with me and answered all my questions and I’m very grateful of that. As you mentioned I have no means to move them about my property to work on them. They are very impressive to say the least and he should have no problems selling them if he decides to do that. I don’t think I’d get sick of them, really, but not being able to move them nor store them inside I had to pass for the time being.
They are not that heavy, if you have a pickup it can pull them. I was worried if my truck I had would do it but it didnt even notice it was pulling it. Was at a GAP event and our second halftrack was low on fuel and sitting at an angle that the engine wasnt getting fuel. I put my cloth pull strap to it and my Dodge 250 with the cummins didnt even feel like it had something in tow. And we are talking vehicle to vehicle pull. If you want them, get them. Get one of those canvas garages to protect until you get it sorted out but you will regret passing them by if you do. They are a lot of fun and road legal because the treads are steel belted rubber. I have ridden in them, driven them and swapped treads on them. If I was in the position to snatch one I would in a heartbeat. Give a call if you still have my number and want to chat.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Gulf State Guard
"QUOTE"...."They are not that heavy, if you have a pickup it can pull them. I was worried if my truck I had would do it but it didn't even notice it was pulling it.".

Really...? A White M2 Halftrack (unloaded) weighs in at #19800lbs...nearly 10 Tons.
Put this vehicle on an appropriate rated equipment trailer. (Which itself would weigh #5-7000lbs) and you are talking
#25,000lbs (conservatively speaking). And the terrain out here in Colorado isn't exactly rumored to be Low in elevation...or Flat.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Porter, #4 would go nicely with the #5 Vickers I bought from you. Unfortunately I have a 1917a1 already but mine has Westinghouse internals on one of Lou Murtha’s early jacket.
Buy a Daimler Ferret, they are street legal and fit in a one car garage. Not to mention they are made for the Browning 1919. If you end up with one I just might know someone with spare parts and he knows them inside and out quite intimately by now.🤣
CaptMax

Reactions: Colt44mag21

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Porter, #4 would go nicely with the #5 Vickers I bought from you. Unfortunately I have a 1917a1 already but mine has Westinghouse internals on one of Lou Murtha’s early jacket.
Buy a Daimler Ferret, they are street legal and fit in a one car garage. Not to mention they are made for the Browning 1919. If you end up with one I just might know someone with spare parts and he knows them inside and out quite intimately by now.🤣
CaptMax
View attachment 100471
Well, you know, I had to be surgically removed from my mother so if you squeezed me it that be prepared the torch cut a door for me. Nah who am I kidding? You’d have to tow it to a professional like planned parenthood to get me out! You’ll need to bring it out to my ranch to play war, we have a 1.5 acre horse riding arena I want to convert to a proving ground mosh pit. I’ll be in your neck of the woods soon, I’d like to check it out!

21 - 40 of 55 Posts