1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up today from a gent I know.
He has had this a long time and neither of us know what MG it is for.
There are no visible markings.

Does anyone recognize this pouch?

Leather Handgun holster Gun accessory Strap
Handgun holster Leather Brown Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It is for the Madsen LMG, and could be for any of a number of different caliber mags. I believe it is post WWI. I have a pouch identical to it which fits 7mm Madsen 30 rnd mags. I am not sure hat other caliber mags would fit it......FWIW

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That's a style I haven't seen before, looks like it will hold 2 mags. The ones I usually see for the Madsen only hold 1 mag and have 2 hangers on the long side.

If you want to sell it I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection.

Troy

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is for the Madsen LMG, and could be for any of a number of different caliber mags. I believe it is post WWI. I have a pouch identical to it which fits 7mm Madsen 30 rnd mags. I am not sure hat other caliber mags would fit it......FWIW
The leather is quite stiff, but it sure appears like it was intended to hold two magazines.
The construction of the pouch reminds me of British made gear.
I found references to the British trying out MADSEN LMG's post WW1.
I looked around in GOOGLE images and didn't find any pictures of this particular pouch.
MADSEN LMG magazines seem to vary only in the curvature!
I think this would hold the magazines that are available on-line now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
...It's Argentine construction. YouTube has a madsen video ( #2 ) by AZ Guns that displays the madsen accoutrements including your mag holder. DD

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
that's why i only take 1-2 madsen mags with me to the range and just reload them as i go .

They never really came up with an actual rational method the move these things around that wasn't goofy or clumsy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...It's Argentine construction. YouTube has a madsen video ( #2 ) by AZ Guns that displays the madsen accoutrements including your mag holder. DD
I watched the video and sure enough the leather 2 magazine pouch is shown.
There are some interesting accessories for the MADSEN.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am curious to know what indentifies it as Argentinian? The example that I have is unmarked.
The pouch I have pictured is also unmarked.
The rivets appear to be copper and something about the overall appearance and construction just makes me think its British.
The MADSEN's served in so many countries over such an extended period there must be quite a variety of material associated with its service use.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am curious to know what indentifies it as Argentinian? The example that I have is unmarked.
...The stitching, the buckle and the cut of the leather matches my 4 mag Argies exactly. The Brits, in my experience, stamped all their equip. With the broad arrow of their defense ministry. My 6 leather mag carriers are likewise unmarked.

..Pretty obviously one can never know the origin of unmarked stuff. With all the fakes, the origin of marked stuff is suspect. The ones I bought came from Greece ( I'l bet you know who from Bob, Wheaty did ) and the ad had a photo of a big pile of them. I doubt he'll ever sell them all.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Another pouch that I found. It is marked as pictured. The markings don't mean anything to me. the flap has stamped at the top what appears to be: 2A BATER…. The last part of the word is illegible, unfortunately, but a guess might be BATERIA, which might be Portugese as the Brazilians used the Madsens in 7mm an 7.92. No other stamps or marks. This pouch will fit a pair of post-war 7.92 mags, but also other post-war Madsen mags as well.
Any info is appreciated.
Artifact Metal Wallet Leather Leather

1 - 13 of 13 Posts