1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an ROD kit last night to build into a post sample and the barrel has been demilled by drilling a 1/4” hole into the rifling on the top side and now the question.....

This is COMPLETELY out of left field, but someone asked me if it was possible to weld a demilled barrel and make it operational? The working theory is to put a carbon rod into the bore and then fill weld the 1/4 demilled hole shut.

Obviously the area would be prepped, cleaned, and so on. Has anyone ever seen, heard of, or tried this?

As insane as it sounds, it could actually work but Im looking for anyone who has done something or seen good/bad results?

·
11,678 Posts
i thought i read a bunch of years ago that someone threaded the hole, recessed a set screw, and then welded over that. there was something about prepping the inside area of the drill hole too but i don't remember that much.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
If hole is into the rifling,is there less pressure than the chamber...? That would be the question. If so,I'd agree with Rory that it might be a safe way to save the barrel that he stated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hole is into the rifling and roughly 11 to 12 inches forward of the chamber area. The hole is between the handguard and first gas tube support (more towards the support) so you’d think the pressure would be dropping at that point

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have heard of barrels being repaired both ways. I have not done so and do not know anyone that would do this. Personaly I would not go this route, would be better to just make a new one in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I picked up an ROD kit last night to build into a post sample and the barrel has been demilled by drilling a 1/4” hole into the rifling on the top side and now the question.....
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a "ROD kit".

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ok, lets take it to the next level...

A barrel saw cut into 3 pieces... I heard from Bowman videos that some people are rewelding the barrels using brass slug connectors? Anyone heard of this? I assume just for display??? Not for shooting, correct?

Greasegunner, PM (conversation) sent.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've seen PKM barrels repaired by threading the hole, inserting a threaded plug, then welding over it to keep it from backing out. In the chamber the plug was ground to fit the chamber, and clocked in place. Then a reamer was used to clean it up. These were in FA guns, and took a lot of abuse without issue. I doubt the barrels were as accurate as clean rifling, but for how they were used it didn't matter. I think the key question is are good barrels available and what do they cost.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is supposed to be a replacement barrel that comes with the kit but the seller hasn’t located it yet. I was thinking worst case. I also have no idea how to set the headspace on an RPD if I were to replace said barrel

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The barrel that came with my savagely demilled 1917a1 had been torch cut all the way though the bore about midway of the barrel. They left a small section of one barrel wall intact. I cut a "V" into the barrel at the site of the torch cut in order to weld it up. I clamped the barrel into a piece of angle iron to keep it straight. I know that they are not perfectly straight profile on the outside, but for what I was doing it didn't matter. I welded that barrel solid all the way through. I put the barrel in the lathe and turned the weld off with the old profile. I then sourced a bit that just grabbed the rifling and starting at the muzzle bored the rifling out and then all the way through the welded section. That left me with the rear half of the barrel with rifling, and the front half a smooth bore. I have shot hundred of rounds through it and it cycles fine. Accuracy sucked, but it was a nice space filler until I found a new barrel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is a fellow on Weapons Guild that did an RPD build by weld repairing three drilled holes in the barrel. That was a SA build though. I'm thinking you have one of the more recent Egyptian RPD kits? I believe the new made barrels available are not compatible with original receivers. I think press fit vs threaded - you will have to do some more research on that.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have an MG 15 barrel with a filled hole. No idea how it was done but I fired hundreds of rnds through it before I even noticed the repair. Several inches in front of the chamber. It is not welded.

PJH

·
Registered
272 Posts
There is supposed to be a replacement barrel that comes with the kit but the seller hasn’t located it yet. I was thinking worst case. I also have no idea how to set the headspace on an RPD if I were to replace said barrel
If you bought a kit with a new semi receiver then the barrel most likely has to be pressed into the receiver. If that is the case then there are new made RPD barrels on the market. If the kit is an original demil then the barrel is threaded into the receiver and those are hard to find and the repair may be an option for you. I have never tried to repair a drilled one before. If you are looking for a new pressed barrel here is one link for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a fellow on Weapons Guild that did an RPD build by weld repairing three drilled holes in the barrel. That was a SA build though. I'm thinking you have one of the more recent Egyptian RPD kits? I believe the new made barrels available are not compatible with original receivers. I think press fit vs threaded - you will have to do some more research on that.
Chedder I think you might be referring to one of my RPD builds. I've done three of the Egyptian kits this way and have several hundred rounds thru each one. It can be done safely. Also I have repaired ZB37 and MG53 barrels this way.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Tapping and plugging barrels was pretty common for SG43's. They have stupid thick bbls and the steel isnt real hard so its easy to tap. The general idea was to contour the bottom side, screw it down and weld over it. I did two barrels this way. the bbl itself came out okay, but the chamber demill was impossible to match perfectly and I get bulged cases. I never tested for accuracy because my dam Gorys never ran for more than 20 rounds without other functioning issues.

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
The hole is into the rifling and roughly 11 to 12 inches forward of the chamber area. The hole is between the handguard and first gas tube support (more towards the support) so you’d think the pressure would be dropping at that point
As mentioned it is fine to thread a plug into and weld over that far in front of the chamber considering the cartridge, pressure drop, etc. it does become an issue when Bubba tries doin g this in the chamber where the pressure is much higher. I have never agreed with rewelding barrels that are cut through it is dangerous at best and we had a thread earlier this year about a 50 M2HB barrel that was done that way and the buyer was unaware of the repair and was quite lucky the results were not fatal.

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've heard of drilling the barrel and putting in a new liner, for example a Chaszell one. Anybody able to offer a comparison between these different methods?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts