1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hired today by Halliburton (KBR) for contract work in Iraq...
I will be doing heavy equipment repair at Talil Airbase (i think it has been renamed)
If i pass the the pre employment tests in Houston I get hired and fly out
around Sept 11th..
From what i understand the place is a one of the larger US airbases in Iraq..
I was told i would work and live on the base the whole time i was there for
12 months..
This should be a great adventure for me,, and ill be making some great tax free income :)
Living conditions while not the best but tolerable will be a bit hard to get used to.
I hope i made the right decision

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Be carefull over there and tell the boys were behind them. Come back with some pics but most of all just make sure ya come back.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
last time I was there was back in 91, the only thing left was a few destroyed MIGs and somekind of helicopter......hard to tell what it was, it was just a mangled heap of scrap metal.......one of our soldiers blew his foot off there after stepping on a cluster mine............I would not doubt there is still a bunch of them still waiting around for someone else to step on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Weapon?

Company rules or not I'd have a weapon of some kind within reach. Son in law just got back from Tikrit in December. Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Weapon? Not allowed for some contractor employees

Dead Train Guy,

It is NOT his company--KBR's--rules. It is the US Army's rule that civilian contractors, not hired as security, will not be armed. It was very frustrating, probably not so much on Talill AB, but in some of the remote camps like ours that did not have Army, or even US security deployed on the fence. All because of some security contractors that allegedly acted like "cowboys" and made the powers that be distrust contractors in general. It would be immediate dismissal for the guy, so I'd recommend not advising him to ignore the rules over there. Some contractors will be surprised at what freedoms they loose as they are held to "General Order 1 A" as are the military. Only thing is, we get sent home--possibly to face charges by DOJ-- rather than come under the UCMJ.

BUT it was a great job, and pay wasn't bad.

Taber

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DeadTrainGuy said:
Company rules or not I'd have a weapon of some kind within reach. Son in law just got back from Tikrit in December. Jim

Jim i hear ya loud and clear.. I'm making it a priority to alway be aware of whats going on around me at all times over there..

I know its a dangerous place and i will be getting extra pay because of it.

The biggest threat is going to be from mortar and rocket fire attack
not much you can do about that..
The whole time I'm to be there we will be in the base where it is relatively safe..
Company rules say civilan employees cant have weapons , but from what im told be people who have been there as contractors most all are armed
some way.. just keep it out of site .. and you must plat the company politics
game with some people.. :(

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
God bless and protect and have a great adventure...even though you're not wearing a uniform you're serving our country too. We assume you'll have access to email so keep posting.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
loboslanding said:
God bless and protect and have a great adventure...even though you're not wearing a uniform you're serving our country too. We assume you'll have access to email so keep posting.

Thanks !! I will have internet access over there.. i will still need to keep up with firearms issues and all the other things i use the web for..

Yes i may not wear the uniform but i will be doing a small part for my country
and the $$$ is a perk !!

:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some suggestions from someone who has been there...

Hey,

I was stationed at Balad, Iraq (USAF) and got to know several civi contractors. One high suggestion....drink lots of water, even when you don't feel like it, always keep a water bottle handy and drink out of habit. On average, it was 120+ degrees when I was there and the power went out every time there was a rocket or motar attack....it got damn hot, but it was OK with lots of water, even if it was not cold....

Also, take some good books, a small dvd player and tons of dvds in a soft case. You can get current movies there at the BX, and keep in touch with the folks at home. Beware of to many calls since you have to pay for the distance, internet and email is great.

Take care and keep you head down.....

Mark Headlee
OIF II 2004, Balad AB (Camp Anaconda)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Its hot, damn hot. I always bring Gold Bond or baby powder when I'm in the Mid East. Use on feet and balls, prevents swamp nuts:) I also take crystal lite drink powder (lemonade) keeps me drinking water so I dont turn to dust.

I wouldnt worry about bringing/using weapons (if you remain on base). It isnt like the movie Platoon "I have VC in my perimeter":D Cant shoot back at mortars very easy anyway. It's pretty gross there, you wont feel like your stealing the money you make, thats for sure.

I have seen pics of some contractor housing that was phenominal!! Be glad it isnt Afghanistan, while "safer":rolleyes: After 5 years the place looks about the freaking same as when I was there in 01. No oil money I guess:) You will have access to all sorts of delicious American foods, like McD's, Pizza-hut, and other fast food joints that will kill you only slightly slower than an IED.

Have fun, keep a sense of humor, and remember, you can quit so you got the guys in camies beat!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Pat,,,Im just curious,,what is the pay range(I dont really want to know what your pay is) for the work and what the jobs are?? I dont think money would draw me over to a sh-t hole over there. I support the military 100% but in the end after they leave it will be back to the same ol dump as 1000 yrs ago,,all those people(choke choke) know is war and killing someone/anyone. They have NO respect for life. I feel sory for the 10% that want to live in a modern time period but I dont see it happen. I think the $$$ should be spent on AMERICANS in AMERICA.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tommygunner06 said:
Pat,,,Im just curious,,what is the pay range(I dont really want to know what your pay is) for the work and what the jobs are?? I dont think money would draw me over to a sh-t hole over there. I support the military 100% but in the end after they leave it will be back to the same ol dump as 1000 yrs ago,,all those people(choke choke) know is war and killing someone/anyone. They have NO respect for life. I feel sory for the 10% that want to live in a modern time period but I dont see it happen. I think the $$$ should be spent on AMERICANS in AMERICA.
Well to answer your question pay depends on the job , and if also hazardous
or not.. also depends on the area..
But i was quoted $7400.00 a month.. housing, meals, transportation is all free

People that do stuff like IT, Managers, specialty jobs make more ...

I know the conditions are not the best and it cant be expected ,but i
for a change in my employement carreer have a opertunity to make some big money.. True it may be a **** hole but the money is there..
Now I tell you this, im a older person, this will be my last chance to make
some big cash.. and im going to take it..

·
Registered
86 Posts
patm41 said:
Well to answer your question pay depends on the job , and if also hazardous
or not.. also depends on the area..
But i was quoted $7400.00 a month.. housing, meals, transportation is all free

People that do stuff like IT, Managers, specialty jobs make more ...

I know the conditions are not the best and it cant be expected ,but i
for a change in my employement carreer have a opertunity to make some big money.. True it may be a **** hole but the money is there..
Now I tell you this, im a older person, this will be my last chance to make
some big cash.. and im going to take it..
Good luck, my experiance...Wally world also has the little packets of flavors for your water. Drink lots of water. Not much you can do about mortars and rockets. Drink lots of water (I know repeat). Then once you get through it all, here comes the tax man:eek:

keep your head low, good luck, god bless.

·
Registered
670 Posts
scarry scarney said:
here comes the tax man

Tax free. When you are out of the country for (280?) days or more, (consecutive?) no taxes.

For me being military, I'm tax free all over the mid-east, even if I'm there for only a day I get that whole month tax free.

For civilians, I think its tax free for 260-280+ overseas, and maybe something about paying taxes for anything you make over 85k? I heard some KBR fellas talking, but I wasnt listening real well...again:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2ndShooter said:
Tax free. When you are out of the country for (280?) days or more, (consecutive?) no taxes.

For me being military, I'm tax free all over the mid-east, even if I'm there for only a day I get that whole month tax free.

For civilians, I think its tax free for 260-280+ overseas, and maybe something about paying taxes for anything you make over 85k? I heard some KBR fellas talking, but I wasnt listening real well...again:)
I was told you have to spend 330 days out of the US , and the first $80,000.00 is tax free...:D
thats for a civilian

·
Registered
886 Posts
I also heard you had to be out of US for @1 year or something like that. Im a vol fire fighter in my town. Was told you could be a FF or EMT but they sleep on floor just in case some "nice guys" try to blow up the station,,and you cant be over 32 yrs old.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is off their web site for a firefighter...

Posting Date: July 19, 2006 Posting End Date: August 19, 2007
Product Line: Government Operations
Sub-Product Line: Contingency Operations
Job Category: Logistics/Supply
Employment Type: Project Hire
Target Salary Range: N/A
Job Description:
Controls and extinguishes fires. May drive vehicle to scene of fire following predetermined route, or selecting alternate route when necessary. Operates pumps, foam generators, boom and ground sweeps nozzles, and other similar equipment. Uses a variety of special protective gear in situations where poisonous gases, radioactive materials, and hazardous biological products are involved. Performs daily preventive maintenance such as oil changes, replacing packing in pumps, and draining and flushing tanks, and otherwise ensuring that all equipment is in usable condition.

Skills (Required):
DOD Classes of Supply
Firefighter
Health and Safety Management
Degrees/Higher Education (Required):
Qualified
Certifications/Licenses(Required):
Fire Fighter - Airport
Fire Fighter I
Fire Fighter II
HAZMAT
Languages: