1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
With help from Toolman my long running Westinghouse 17a1 is nearing final completion. I spent a couple hours detailing it today. I am going to swap out the parked Westinghouse internals for my in the white set of internals then I might be done, unless I find something else that must be there:D

Toolman showed me his technique for filling the letters and numbers. I modified what he was doing and it came out fairly well IMOO.

So here are the pics, next task will be detailing the 17a1 .tripod

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Looks nice, GSG. You might want to have your feed slide and pawl in the white too, and the feed lever and BH pawls could be natural, showing heat treat coloring. Just a suggestion. :)

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Looks nice, GSG. You might want to have your feed slide and pawl in the white too, and the feed lever and BH pawls could be natural, showing heat treat coloring. Just a suggestion. :)
Lucky I swapped those out for him with NOS in the white plus a few other parts to pretty her up. Nice park job :tongue: almost kooks like the guy knew what he was doing.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Looks very nice. The ladder sight turned out really nice!

I'm almost tempted to consider Matt's kit that he has up right now. I always wanted a water cooled version, but alas I'm in the market for a new Silverado right now. My 1999 is starting to age on me. :(

Russ - care to share your technique with me? I've done some highlighting on a few guns, but always looking for a better and easier way. ;)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Lucky I swapped those out for him with NOS in the white plus a few other parts to pretty her up. Nice park job :tongue: almost kooks like the guy knew what he was doing.
GSG, That looks great, it will be a beauty if the tripod turns out as nice.
Russ, judging from your comment on the park I bet I can guess who did it.
Great job!!!!
CaptMax

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I heard someone talking about parking someone's water cooled gun not too long ago. Hmmm, who was I talking to? Some guy upstate.... :D

Good call on the parts, though. White metal on park or blue looks really sharp. It's the accents that make it art!

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress on the tripod. Its dirty from being in my workshop. Sawdust and grease are lovely together.... Need to paint the brass tripod head and I only have an od primer on the legs. The park is the original park that was under the MANY layers of paint from the Greek military so even with stains and dings not intending to repark.

I did clean up the haze on the cradle elevation.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Very nice GSG, it is going to look like a piece of Museum Art!!!!
Next you should try a sled mount, they are a real PITA.
Lucky#13 I figured it was that guy in upstate. I'm getting old as I can't seem to remember his name. :rofl:
CM

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Realized I had not put the carry handle back on it. Trying to remember if it rides best in front of the water fill plug or behind. Need to remember because it would be upsetting to scratch the park having to move it after its clamped down. Trying to figure what I did with my pintle. Sigh. Might be buried on the bench under g3 projects.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Holy smokes.. Pretty nice looking watercooled you have there GSG.

You'll have to get those pesky G3 off your workbench or you can forward them to me for save keeping LOL:rofl::rofl:

Steamer

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Matt put the paint makers down and go to bed! Repeat after me "I am not a Browning addict, I am not a Browning addict.... Your wife is going to hate me for giving those to you, have you come out of the basement yet?

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Looks very nice. The ladder sight turned out really nice!

I'm almost tempted to consider Matt's kit that he has up right now. I always wanted a water cooled version, but alas I'm in the market for a new Silverado right now. My 1999 is starting to age on me. :(

Russ - care to share your technique with me? I've done some highlighting on a few guns, but always looking for a better and easier way. ;)
Terry I just use the oil based paint markers and over fill the engravings, let dry and use paint brush restorer and paper towel to remove the excess. Pretty simple and user friendly and the markers go a long way unless of course your name is gulfstateguard :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Matt, you're doing a great job! Looking really sweet.........you've given me another kick myself in the butt moment for not grabbing a water-jacket that popped up in my face a while back.....:eek:

Matt

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Terry I just use the oil based paint markers and over fill the engravings, let dry and use paint brush restorer and paper towel to remove the excess. Pretty simple and user friendly and the markers go a long way unless of course your name is gulfstateguard :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
OK Thanks Russ. That's pretty close to what I do now, so we are on the same page there. ;)

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I varied on what Russ showed me depending on how deep the stampings are. On deeper stamps, I filled, then immediately wiped the excess with clean paper towel, only one swipe then fold or use another section then when dry use kleen strip brush cleaner to remove the haze or excess. Only fill about an inch to inch and half at a time then swipe excess. On shallower stamps the wet swipe will sometimes remove too much, on those you can try to either let it partially dry then remove some of the excess with the dry paper towel then wait for it to fully dry. Or so as Russ does wait for it to fully dry then use the brush cleaner on it.

I like getting the excess off earlier, then using the brush cleaner. The key (as Russ pointed out) is never wipe with the same section of towel more than twice.

You will want to start with a fresh roll of paper towels, I found having a box of q tips was good for touchup and getting close to light stampings without removing from the stamping. I twirl the wet q tip to remove the hazing.

Also you only need a little bit of brush cleaner on the paper towel you folded up on itself, you do not want it excessively damp.

I was chatting with the Duke last night and he was concerned about the fill staining the park from his experience with flat paints. If you are filling on park
And do not like your result the brush cleaner will strip it all out so you donot have to worry about screwing it up. If you do, just clean with brush cleaner thoroughly, let the brush cleaner dry, then go after it again. Some areas, markings took me three tries. In some cases I just had to accept, good enough.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts