1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally finished drilling out the holes for the side plate, but now I think I might have countersunk the holes too much. I test fitted the rivets and all the rivets sit a little deeper than the surface of the plate. Is this bad? Will this stop the rivets from fitting tightly? Should I find washers to bring the rivets level with the plate? Im speaking of rivets that sit on the inside of the weapon that fasten the plate to the bottom plate.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
If the first ones have a problem Mike has carried other rivets for problems like this or egged holed bottom plates. You will probably be fine though.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
I'd say start with the one that gets ground flush to the bottom plate, which is the 5th from the back end. See how the dome shape turns out with the rivet length as is. If that works, then you should be fine on the others. If not, you are going to smash that one into the bottom plate chamfer and grind flush anyway. No clue if you are using the Plinker's fixture for a hydraulic press, a rivet gun or hammering by hand, but this suggestion should help no matter what. Often, the rivets need to be shortened a bit, but you will want a little extra length because of the extra space you will have to fill. Hence, try the rivet as is to start on that fifth one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts