1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
any members on this board who can tell me whats the differance in maxim cloth belts
i know there is the 8mm version
and i know there is a 7.62 x 54R version

would like to see some pic,s that show the differance between these two versions
i got in a full box off these belts, but it seems i have two different versions of them
thanks in advance, john.
just made some pic,s
some have steel starter tabs with just one hole
the others have brass starter tabs and have 3 holes in the tab,....

Thread Twine Bird nest Nest Wicker Plant Vegetarian food Ammunition belt

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
any members on this board who can tell me whats the differance in maxim cloth belts
i know there is the 8mm version
and i know there is a 7.62 x 54R version

would like to see some pic,s that show the differance between these two versions
i got in a full box off these belts, but it seems i have two different versions of them
thanks in advance, john.
German belts are marked on the brass starter tab. If they are not imperial marked, don't trust they are German 8mm. There are some out there that look pretty close but starter tabs are not imperial proof.

Russian belts also have a marked starter tab. However some of them are just marked like 44. Some have proofs. They are in 7.62x54r.

The easy way to tell the two apart is the long tab between rounds. The Germans have a solid rivet in the end. The Russian have a hole in the rivet so it looks like the other three rivets in the tab.

Also Vickers belts look a lot like Russian belts. They tend to be whiter or greenish. Also the starter tabs are marked.

Basically the starter tab should tell the story. If they are unmarked, its one of these off brand belts floating around.

Bob did a pretty good review here:
http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/belts.html

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
As Matt said - there are differences in the German and Russian belts, but there are a plethora of other "different" maxim belts, in different calibers. I assume you are limiting your question to cloth belts pictured ? the answer is not as simple as "A or B". You might do a search here or over on the other "Gunboards" for maxim information too. There are US, Turkish, British, Belgian, ........ Maxim belts in a lot of different calibers. I even have US made 7mm belt. Not sure what it was for other than Maxim. Dont even want to start on "Schwarzlose" or "Vickers" :cool: Dolf's book has a lot of info on the belts as well.

The belts you have pictured look to be Russian. I have a few I have picked up, They seem to work in my 8mm guns, but I have a loader.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.!!

thanks to you guy,s i found out that this batch must be russian one,s

they all have the open rivet at the metal starter tab, some of the brass one,s have a 3 digit with a star
i found out these are pre ww2
thanks again for all the info here, !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts