1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the extractor (not broken case extractor) for the 30-06 and the 308 guns? I was told that there is and that the wrong one could cause functional problems in a 30-06 FA gun. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Switch mine back and forth between .06 & .308 use the same exractor. Plus use the rear cartridge guide in both calibers. Both work just fine. You don't have to remove the rear cartridge guide if you don't want to for .06.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the extractor (not broken case extractor) for the 30-06 and the 308 guns? I was told that there is and that the wrong one could cause functional problems in a 30-06 FA gun. Any comments?
Someone's blowing smoke up yer whatzat. No difference. Same extractor for 308, 7 mm, 7 Argentine, 8 mm, 7.62x54r, 30-06, even .22 cal.

Don't give it another thought.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,248 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys. That will save me $35. Just got my FA 1919A4 a couple months ago and am still tweeking it alittle. It was originally a 308 Izzy gun and I had the Class 3 dealer I bought it from change it over to 30-06. However, he neglected to change out the bolt and top cover which may have led to the occasional function problems that I was running into. I am hoping that by changing to the correct 30-06 bolt and 30-06 top cover I will solve some of these issues. Also, when I recieved the gun the rear cartridge stop/guide (on the feedway) had to be removed for the 30-06 rounds to clear the feed way. Is there a 30-06 rear cartridge guide, or is it ok to shoot without one installed?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'am # 4 and what the others said, There the same part. As for the feed way these are Made in the USA guns that were sold to Isreal and the feed way is set up for the original caliber of 30-06. But do to variances in manufacturing, assembling, wear and ammo AOL some guns well shoot with the rear spacer. But your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a semi auto 3081919a4 feed problem, gun will feed the first round and sometime the second round then nothing, I have checked all feed and extractor parts all are 308/7.62 and all correct Israeli made, head space is correct, links are 7.62 Israeli, can someone tell me what to check next?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Mickey, welcome to our group. You will be able to get more specific help with a new post. Don't be shy, introduce yourself, tell about your interests, what brought you here, and be aware many drool over pictures.
My questions would be what ammunition are you using? And will it feed and cycle with dummy rounds? It's also possible there may be a member close to your location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
New member thanks for allowing me to join, I have a semi auto 1919A4 in caliber 7.62/308 and having a feed and extraction problem, problem is the gun will feed and load the first round and might chamber the second round, then nothing, I have been using 308 dummy rounds, 7.62 links, I have checked all parts, and all are correct Israelle made, extractor looks new showing no damage, head space is spot on, where do I go next?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Things to confirm: front and rear 308 guides are in place? Front cartridge guide is 308, not 8MM by chance? Rounds would not be held far enough back for the extractor to pick up. What is the OAL of your 308? Without measuring tonight 2.80 +/-.005 seems correct. (Len where are you when I need answers. Len is another of our reloading gurus.)
Top cover springs might be another possibility, do
you have replacements, or a spare top cover to swap out? Pictures with the top cover open, and bolt back may help.
Keep posting, after ten posts you can send and receive private messages.
The small icon next to the paper clip allows you to attach pictures. Like this one from Sturgis.😊
Outerwear Sleeve Mammal Font T-shirt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, The 7.62X51 guides are in place and all associated parts are marked 7.62 or have the Israeli stamp. I think that you may have solved the problem, I measured the length of my test rounds and most were below the 2.80 length, I managed to salvage 3 test rounds with the correct length and they worked correctly extract, feed, and eject, My next problem is to find new shooting range, my go to range has closed down.
Musical instrument accessory Gas Auto part Wood Machine

Black Air gun Machine gun Shotgun Line
Watch Cosmetics Wood Pen Clock
Automotive tire Tire Machine gun Tints and shades Trigger
Automotive tire Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Lens

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, The 7.62X51 guides are in place and all associated parts are marked 7.62 or have the Israeli stamp. I think that you may have solved the problem, I measured the length of my test rounds and most were below the 2.80 length, I managed to salvage 3 test rounds with the correct length and they worked correctly extract, feed, and eject, My next problem is to find new shooting range, my go to range has closed down. View attachment 119154
View attachment 119150 View attachment 119151 View attachment 119152 View attachment 119153
Something looks wrong on your left rear spacer, looks too thick to me. It should only be about .125 thick.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
@mickey.roberts44 it sounds like you may have it solved. Do you have a different picture of feed pawl, or can you tell me if that finger is straight? It looks usgi but that could be the angle. Picture included for reference.
View attachment 119162
The feed pawl is not straight has but has a dog leg, I puled it off and and it is marked 7.62

1 - 18 of 18 Posts