1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
asking this for a friend, he had a ww2 made garand, the barrel was shot out, so he orderd a new barrel, made in the 50,s
now his gunsmith called and told him the new barrel is a little longer and it wont fit with the wood and gastube.
the difference in length is about a half inch
what should he be looking for...... who knows
thanks,

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Never have seen original US barrels vary that much in length, could be he needs to look for another gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
asking this for a friend, he had a ww2 made garand, the barrel was shot out, so he orderd a new barrel, made in the 50,s
now his gunsmith called and told him the new barrel is a little longer and it wont fit with the wood and gastube.
thanks,
The Italian Made 7.62/308 are 1/2 inch shorter use different op rod a wood. What is the length of his original barrel? and the length of the replacement?
Springfield made some of these as did beretta. I have some beretta made ones in excellent condition if needed ,sarco has the shorter wood available.
hope this helps.
Greg

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
thanks,
What really needs to happen here is to get the drawing numbers off both barrels along with the Manf/markings IE SA, W, IHC, H&R LMC etc. All USGI or contract made parts are interchangable so something is rotten in Denmark or wherever the rifle is being worked on.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the mistery is getting bigger, as i heard they found out that for some reason different wood was used
with the new barrel installed the wood parts dont "connect" there there is a 1/2 inch gap
i think they used wood for a danish ore beretta made garand, would that be correct, are these different in size..
thanks.

What really needs to happen here is to get the drawing numbers off both barrels along with the Manf/markings IE SA, W, IHC, H&R LMC etc. All USGI or contract made parts are interchangable so something is rotten in Denmark or wherever the rifle is being worked on.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Was the old barrel a 30.06 or NATO chambering? Barrel markings of both the old & new barrels will possibly help solve this problem. The Italians converted a lot of M1's to 7.62 NATO by removing the old 30.06 barrel and shortening it by 1/2" (so it will still have the original US markings) at the chamber end then rechambering to the Nato cartridge. Consequently the op rod, stock and rear hand guard had to be shortened 1/2" also. The op rod should have a marking on the flat in front of the handle with "7.62mm". Measure both barrels, are they the same length? Stocks? Hand guards? etc.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The Italian Made 7.62/308 are 1/2 inch shorter use different op rod a wood. What is the length of his original barrel? and the length of the replacement?
Springfield made some of these as did beretta. I have some beretta made ones in excellent condition if needed ,sarco has the shorter wood available.
hope this helps.
Greg
I bet finding out his 30-06 Garand had been turned into a 7.62 variety would have really made this guy's day.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I bet finding out his 30-06 Garand had been turned into a 7.62 variety would have really made this guy's day.
That is what it sounds like to me, The navy made some up in 7.62 and they are pretty rare, most of the one's the navy did had the normal length barrel with a chamber insert installed.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
the mistery is getting bigger, as i heard they found out that for some reason different wood was used
with the new barrel installed the wood parts dont "connect" there there is a 1/2 inch gap
i think they used wood for a danish ore beretta made garand, would that be correct, are these different in size..
thanks.
Yes the Beretta ones had shorter wood and op rods to match the shorter barrels. The danish were US lead lease guns all in 30:06 some had been rebuilt over seas with beretta & VAR parts.
Hope this helps
Greg

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
pretty clear, wood is not the rigth size, but also the gas tube connection piece with the bayonet lug on it seems to short
ore the whole gas tube itself
these pic,s were mailed to me this afternoon.
this was taken with the new barrel installed..
from what i understood he bought it as a non shooter, so he did not even checked what size chamber it had, barrel was pretty much ruined
so all with all i believe he just bought a assembled euro/american home made piece.
good thing is he had it cheap...
Tool Wood Metal Gun Revolver Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
pretty clear, wood is not the rigth size, but also the gas tube connection piece with the bayonet lug on it seems to short
from what i understood he bought it as a non shooter, so he did not even checked what size chamber it had, barrel was pretty much ruined
so all with all i believe he just bought a assembled euro/american home made piece.
View attachment 16633 View attachment 16634 View attachment 16635 View attachment 16636
The gas blocks are not modified in any way, the op rod (not gas tube,no gas passes through) is shortened to match the barrel. He will need to do one of two things , If he wants the gun in '06 he will need new wood ($ aprox 125) and a new op rod. ($150-200). or build it in 7.62 all he needs is the correct barrel. I have a selection of these, mill spec. beretta mgr. used. from as new to very good. ($125-200).
This gun probably is not a home made piece but A valuable navy gun or a beretta. Would need to see all markings including old barrel to tell.
I'm surprised that the smith working on it didn't know or compare the barrels before install. Most armors that repair garands know about the 7.62 guns?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Also the gun should have a spacer block installed so it won't chamber 30:06 , That should have been a dead giveaway that this gun was 7.62. I would be leary of the work of this smith on this weapon. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can PM me if you like and I will give you my phone # . I have built many garands and BM59's in both 7.62 & 30:06
Greg

·
Registered
183 Posts
That is what it sounds like to me, The navy made some up in 7.62 and they are pretty rare, most of the one's the navy did had the normal length barrel with a chamber insert installed.
All Navy 7.62 Garands are standard length ,they were made with chamber insert then later chambered in 7.62

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Also the gun should have a spacer block installed so it won't chamber 30:06 , That should have been a dead giveaway that this gun was 7.62. I would be leary of the work of this smith on this weapon. Just my 2 cents.
If it is chambered for 7.62 it won't chamber 30.06 even with no spacer block. The spacer just keeps you from making the mistake in the first place. The gunsmith may not know about the Garand irregularities if it's not a gun he does a lot of work on. Just cause you are a gunsmith does not mean you know everything about every gun.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
View attachment 16633 View attachment 16634 View attachment 16635 View attachment 16636
It looks like you have an Italian (1/2" shorter) stock, op rod and handguard. You can install a 7.62 Italian barrel for around 150.00 ( I have some if you want one) or replace the op rod (150.00) handguard (25.00) and stock (100.00). I have all them in stock too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I guess it all depends on what he wants it to be. Historically speaking he should reach out to Scott Duff and give him everything has serial number wise and photos. He will usually make time for collectors and may enjoy the research part of it. His email link is usually attached to his book site. That’s the route I would take before I did anything drastic that may ruin the collectibility of the rifle. Like you guys have already pointed out the parts and stocks are available and for a shooter why not just pick up a new criterion barrel if it doesn’t have any collector value?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts