1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Now that is sweet! No idea what the value would be, but a beautiful piece for one's collection. I don't collect carts myself, but maybe one day!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
digger transit chest went on the front hooks,, unfortunately I don't have that one ,,,

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Bob, you know Len will be in his truck like a crazed postman to get there first.:tongue:

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
....might be..

Did not see any tag or medialian shown and would ask when this piece was used,by what military and time period....? Believe it might have been a pre-WW1 piece and possibly US...? Never saw one before,so just a guess or two. Believe I already have a couple of the same wheels that were purchased during a bulk purchase of cart parts. In any event,I was looking for 1917/1918 type mounts for display. Might be interested to show with my carts...?

Should have looked on google before my post. The 'Digger' 1895 colt was used mainly by Navy and Marines. Marines used it on the carriage...Navy on a pedestal mount. The Army used it spareingly...not offically....and it was used by some of the Allies in WW1. Also Mexico,Spain and during the Spanish American War by Roosevelt's 'Rough-Riders'. These guns were in 7MM Mauser (7x57) and when the Rough Riders took San Juan hill,they utilized the Spainish guns and ammo.

Guess you could say that this mount was the 'daddy' of the 1917 carts...? Again,would be interested at hearing if it is for sale and a price. PA is not out of the question for a road trip....LOL....

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Len, this could be viewed as the last of the thinking of employing machineguns as Artillery in nature. American Lt in the Span Am war was placed in charge of the Gatling gun sections because all the officers wanted the glory of being in charge of the artillery, so they gave the snot nosed young Lt the ******* wanna be artillery (Gatling guns), he had no training in doctrine (which was sit back like artillery). So he did what made sense to him which was push the guns forward into the front line of the attack and directly support the troops. It had a devastating effect because prior to this the guns were used as defensive in nature or too far to the rear to be anything but harrassing in nature (part of the reason the experienced artillery guys wanted nothing to do with)and changed the doctrine. This type carraige with its on board ammo and equipment boxes was built on the earlier thinking. That is part of the reason the army didnt use these widespread but the Navy did. Army was already moving the machineguns into the front lines so the later carts were meant to support the gun behind the line but not be a firing platform. The army goes back to this style with the interwars years carts because of the weight and idea of quicker employment of getting the gun into action. WW2 quickly dispels the usefulness of the carts as anything more than an equipment dolly. When the jeep comes into service the carts fall out of favor. I knew a guy in the Army that when he was a Marine in the early 80s was on a .50 crew that was mounted to a gun cart. He hated it with a burning cussing blue passion.

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I have a couple photos of a Colt 1895 on a similar cart. They are of the beautifully restored example in the USMC museum at Quantico. I'll try to find and post them.

Here they are: Spoke Vehicle Wheel Bicycle wheel Rim Wheel Iron Spoke Vehicle Metal

They're not real clear. They were taken with an iPhone in poor lighting. MSG

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Marlin

Thanks you all for the great info ,, I do know that there was a Marlin on it,, and do believe pre ww-1 due to how long its been in my family and the history that I know about it,, hope you enjoyed the pictures,, Not Shure im willing to let go quite yet,,Thanks

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Looked it up in my Gatling book. It was Lt John Henry Parker, recieved the nickname Gatling Parker. He came up with idea of using them aggressively in direct support. Asked his officer permission and was told No, so he went to General Joe Wheeler. Impressed him and was given permission to form a special unit. He assisted on the assault on San Juan Hill. His 3 guns allowed them to take the hill in 8 1/2 minutes with 18,000 rounds fired. Then Spun the guns and drove off 2 counter attacks. Teddy Roosevelt spoke very highly of Parker and hus men. The guns were incorporated into all infantry and cavalry units. If the infantry went into trenches Parkers gunners dismounted the wheels and emplaced the guns in the trenches. The guns became indespensible to all offensive and defensive operations. Parker rewrote and developed all the tactics for machinegun employment for the Army. Was surprised to realize the models they employed had 2 different cyclic rates depending on whether the crank was rear mounted to direct deive the gun or side mounted through a reduction gear.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Thanks you all for the great info ,, I do know that there was a Marlin on it,, and do believe pre ww-1 due to how long its been in my family and the history that I know about it,, hope you enjoyed the pictures,, Not Shure im willing to let go quite yet,,Thanks
Please share the history of it with us. We would all love to hear it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
American Lt in the Span Am war was placed in charge of the Gatling gun sections because all the officers wanted the glory of being in charge of the artillery, so they gave the snot nosed young Lt the ******* wanna be artillery (Gatling guns), he had no training in doctrine (which was sit back like artillery). So he did what made sense to him which was push the guns forward into the front line of the attack and directly support the troops. It had a devastating effect because prior to this the guns were used as defensive in nature or too far to the rear to be anything but harrassing in nature (part of the reason the experienced artillery guys wanted nothing to do with)and changed the doctrine.
That would be "Gatling Gun Parker". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Parker_(general)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts