1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering everything I need this week for my build. In now at ordering a bucking bar from one of our members. But I have a question. Is it needed? Is there another way to build the 1919 with out it? I'm only building one 1919, it is hard to justify $100 for something I'll never use again. Any other alternatives or techniques?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
On my first build I just stacked and clamped scrap bar stock between the Side plates. It was a pain, and it kept slipping out, but it worked. MSG

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I've seen everything from a hardened grade 8 nut and bolt, a single square cut 1/2" piece of steel [see pic below of what I used on my first couple of builds]....on up to 12 tons presses with jigs and what have you's. Adapt Improvise Overcome?? You can get by with a lot less than you think when putting in rivets. Quality or cosmetics might suffer a little, but shoot-ability is rarely effected by it.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I'm ordering everything I need this week for my build. In now at ordering a bucking bar from one of our members. But I have a question. Is it needed? Is there another way to build the 1919 with out it? I'm only building one 1919, it is hard to justify $100 for something I'll never use again. Any other alternatives or techniques?
Where are you located as we have members all over, just sayin'

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
As has been said you can improvise. You don't need one massive piece of steel that fills the whole inside of the receiver. I found a piece of scrap that was six inches long, half an inch thick and 1-17/32 wide that just fit the bottom for the bottom plate rivets (just lucky on the size). It was clamped in on both ends by C Clamps. I think I used a piece of one inch square (don't recall how long) for the top rivets. Not wide enough but shimmed it with a piece of wood. Sometimes dumb luck helps in finding the stuff.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
I am in the Camp Lejeune area. If some one would like to rent me a bar or loan id appreciate it!!!!!
I would be willing to send you one of mine as long as you are willing to put a deposit on it and cover shipping both ways. Don't mean to be untrusting but I have loaned tools before never to be seen again. Do you have everything you need in hand to do the build? Russ

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be willing to send you one of mine as long as you are willing to put a deposit on it and cover shipping both ways. Don't mean to be untrusting but I have loaned tools before never to be seen again. Do you have everything you need in hand to do the build? Russ
That is more than reasonable!!!! You name the deposit and Ill get it to you. I just sent out the order for the plate. So I wont need it for at least two weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
Just out of curiosity how do you plan on doing your riveting?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
In one build I had a friend use his air hammer and rivet attachment but only to start the rivets as I didn't want ruin the thing. I finished it with the hammer and tool. In the other project I did not have the air hammer available and did it all with a tool and hammer. It can be done but it takes a lot of time and care and makes a lot of noise. Best to do when the spouse is not at home.

Don't forget one of the bottom plate rivets is a "blind rivet" with no rivet head showing. I never checked that before riveting and so mine are wrong and one day I will have to fix it. However it is not a requirement it just looks more authentic with that done right.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
That is the question of the day. Im looking at just using a hammer and a tool sold by BFH.

Suggestions????
Do you have access to a 12 ton shop press? The Plinker's jig works great and no beating it with a hammer :D
DSC00419.jpg DSC00421.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts