1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out at the range today cleaning up from a play day for our local cops,I half filled a 5 gallon bucket with 9MM brass,but mixed in with all that 9Mm was a small amount of .380,every time I clean up after them I always find a couple clips worth of .380,I assume one of them carries a .380 as a back up,which I would do if I was in their shoes.
But you hear so many stories of cops using their back ups as a drop piece and I got to wondering if LEO's are required to register or some how declare that they have another gun other then their main gun?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No requirement in the state where I am located for anyone to register a firearm.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arizona doesn't either,but I would think there should be some kind of way for cops to identify who is carrying what,just in case they have to shoot someone so investigators can track the bullets back.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
No state requires registration of any firearms. However...New York City had a registration in the late 1960's...and then collected them in 1973. CA did some kind of registration,I believe. Otherwise,no registration of any firearms under state or federal law is required....except for NFA weapons...machine guns,DD's and silencers/suppressors.

If anyone in IN...state agency or local LE...tries to register a firearm,it's against the law.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
No state requires registration of any firearms. However...New York City had a registration in the late 1960's...and then collected them in 1973. CA did some kind of registration,I believe. Otherwise,no registration of any firearms under state or federal law is required....except for NFA weapons...machine guns,DD's and silencers/suppressors.

If anyone in IN...state agency or local LE...tries to register a firearm,it's against the law.
Dont wanna split hairs here.....but NY required registration of 'assault weapons' about 8 years ago. Full blown, call them with the serial number, make and model registration.

That being said, pistol requirements vary by state. Police regulations vary state by state. Here in NY, they let cops get away with 'buying on their badge' and dont need a pistol permit. (Which is TOTAL bullshit, because cops here are exempt from ALL state regulations while us peasants cant own anything)

·
Registered
394 Posts
In Michigan all pistols are registered, and have been for years. For private purchase if you are a ccw holder you can buy and then register the pistol. All others have to get a purchase permit prior to a private purchase. For dealer purchases they are registered at time of sale.

Steve

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Since I live right on the border with MI,I'm fully aware of their policy. However...it is not called a registration...but a 'safety' measure. Basically a police dept. look at the handgun and recording of the serial number. Call it what you will. I am told by several MI gun dealers that the MI legislature is trying to relax many of these contentious regs since they now allow civilian purchase of FA NFA weapons. With all the liberals trying to arm themselves,many of them are appalled at the onerous regs and paper work needed to purchase a long gun...much less than a handgun.

As I've said here and at gun shows for over 40+-yrs..."...move now to Indiana and avoid the rush"....!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Presenting a hand to the police for the safety inspection has not been done in Michigan for several years. You do however have to mail or drop off a copy of your purchase permit so the handgun can be registered to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I stand corrected. Have not been an FFL for over 12-yrs so it's not unusual for changes to occur and not being up-to-speed on current procedures.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Oh yea - all the cops carry "drop guns" to set up people. they are issued bythe Dept. that is where al the evidence and seizure guns go. Just talking with a recently retired MPD ( Minneappolis) supervisor and he said what he missed most was getting to shoot random black men and then arrest them for made up crimes. jeeez. really ?

REALLY ? drop piece ? you clearly need to stop watching late night TV movies. Not to say there is not "bad ops" but seriously, there is not some big cop conspiracy going on. a lot of just regular people own 380s, and use them for carry guns. Most of the plain old "guys" around here are using the smaller 380s for carry when they cant carry a larger 9mm/45/40 whatever due to hot weather or ? The down side is 380 ammo is really expensive compared to say 9mm. I reload it and have plenty to practice with or run in my MAC, but guys buying their ammo at Fleet Farm have a tough time. Just like you, I see a lot of 380 brass in the mix at the range, and I just smile and think "cost savings".

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pick up brass at our range a couple times a month,sure I don't get it all I know there are a couple other guys that collect it as well, but the only time I find .380 is when the cops have been shooting.
Most people I know think of it as a waste of time and money,too expensive for what you get.
But back to my original question,are cops require to provide information about what guns they are carrying,what is to stop those very few bad cops from doing that?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I think it's more of " this .380 is so much more than 9MM , you bet your tootie I reload it " as a reason it's rarely found ( or maybe I beat you to them :whistle: ) .
Chris

Carrier of .380 in back up to .45s and 10MMs and .458 Socoms .

·
Registered
102 Posts
The last thing I want is to be in a shoot out. Do you know what you get for it? Nothing positive, and alot of negative. Thats only if you live, and not get killed, or get a 45 acp bullet through your pelvis and then who is going to take care of the family? 45 bullet through pelvis and then cant work overtime, cant push mow the ditches, cant change oil, cant sprint. Washington DC doesnt send any money to make up the difference either. And dont get me started on the Medical Bureaucracy. One charge for the ambulance, one for Doctor, one for Nurse, one for Janitor, 2 different insurance policies, workers comp, physical therapy, bosses at work.

To hell with .380 brass, put it in the trash can and move on. The world aint fair. Be happy to be alive.

I want to add few more lines. This is why I dont lose sleep over what happens in Washington or Chicago. Every friday I send income taxes to City, County, State, and Federal Government. Every day I take care of my wife and two daughters and I am happy to do it. I take care of the house and the lawn, and maintain three cars. I work full time and part time on the side, I exercise on the regular basis.

I am able to do all that as one grown man, I can support all of those factors and pay my taxes every friday to four levels of Government. After I get all of that done, I truly no longer care about what Trump or Obama thinks or eats in DC. I have been employed full time since I was 18, thats 14 years ago. In that time frame not once did any level of Government offered help with any chore/task. They only asked for money.

Donald and Obama can kiss each other before bed time and my world, my reality would not change one bit. They wouldnt help me with a single task. Washington DC does not send me French rolls with cold cuts and cheese, but I send that to them every friday. They dont care about me, and I dont care about them or what happens in some distant major city like Minneapolis. Our Federal Government is completely disconnected and disillusioned from reality of the average person. They like the protesters want me to get all of my ducks in the row and then care about them. Go out and vote and place political stickers on my bumper and then stay up late and tweet about one side or the other. Its a battle for the possession of my soul. Both sides want to win me so they can herd me into the masses and use me for political gain. I dont care about either side. And I dont care about all of the civil unrest. Folks that have the time to go out and do that, are not taking care of problems back home.

I want to change the world for the better, and I do that by looking in the mirror. I make the world a better place by looking in the mirror and changing my reality for the better. As I do that on a regular basis, then my world gets better. I can only control my house, cars, family, and employment. As I succeed and make all that better, America gets better. America gets a better wife, two young girls, house, three cars, and the all mighty taxes.

Thats how I make USA better!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was out at the range today cleaning up from a play day for our local cops,I half filled a 5 gallon bucket with 9MM brass,but mixed in with all that 9Mm was a small amount of .380,every time I clean up after them I always find a couple clips worth of .380,I assume one of them carries a .380 as a back up,which I would do if I was in their shoes.
But you hear so many stories of cops using their back ups as a drop piece and I got to wondering if LEO's are required to register or some how declare that they have another gun other then their main gun?
If a law enforcement officer carries a backup gun he/she must qualify with it to do so. That firearm will be listed as an authorized firearm in their folder including make and serial number. That is the way it was with our department. Using an unauthorized gun in a gun fight creates a field day for a lawyer if/when you are taken to court.

·
Registered
6 Posts

CA might call it something other than registration but the state has a record of not only every handgun purchased but as of a few years ago every long gun also. There is also a mail in method of 'voluntary registering' of firearms you may own that you had before they started the DROS system (Dealer Record of Sale).

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Tommy,that was what I was wondering.
Thankfully I live in a free state which allows citizens to carry open or concealed with no government intrusion,plus we can buy or sell to another free citizen without having to deal with all the nonsense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There’s a big difference between department policy and state law. Some states have handgun registration and some don’t. Some departments have very restrictive duty weapon policies and some don’t. There is a wide range of variation across the country. I worked for a small department in MI, if we carried a backup piece we had to qualify with it to the same standard as our primary duty weapon. The department firearms instructor had to certify we were qualified to the state standard, but there was no department registration. The “drop-gun” myth persists, but no police officer I’ve ever known or worked with would risk their career or freedom with a premeditated “drop-gun”. This myth makes it sound like police officers are blood thirsty killers when in reality the VAST majority are men and women that volunteer to deal with untold amounts of sh*t in order to serve and protect their communities on a daily basis.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cop I believe is carrying this has only been a cop for 5-6 years and has already cost the city plenty,he broke the leg of a young indian kid because he didn't stop when told, and there have been at least three other times the city has been sued because of him,but our town is so poor they can't afford to fire him because they can't get anyone else to work for so little money. Our cops make so little that they qualify for food stamps if they have kids!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts